Scott Pioli on Hunter Long | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Scott Pioli on Hunter Long

Like with all the other Dolphin rookies. Some “fans” here are gonna **** on him after like game 5

I didn’t read it as a shot at Pitts because everyone one here who wanted Pitts wrote about the skill set he has to play any position as a receiver.Yet he isn’t the blocker that you usually equate with the TE position.
Long is a TE who can block and run standard TE routes but he certainly isn’t capable of being used the way Pitts can be used in an offense. So I took it as Pioli was comparing Long to the TE’s who play the position the way we expect the TE position to be played. Pitts on the other hand has the skills to play the position at a completely different level.
You are correct. It wasnt a shot at Pitts Pioli said in the very next sentence that Pitts wasnt considered a TE but a multi-dimensional playmaker/receiver.

He should be fired immediately for statements like that!! Lmao. Who was he a scout for, clevland the last 30 years? He was obviously fired about 2 years ago when they started making good picks finally.

Bro... there's good scouts and bad scouts. Just cuz they're scouts doesn't mean they're good
Actually he was only with Cleveland for the 5 years when Belichick was the HC. He then followed Belichick to the New York Jets and then to New England. He was widely viewed as one of top player personnel executives in his years with the Patriots. After leaving the Patriots he had stints with the Chiefs and the Falcons but he never had the success with those organizations he had with the Patriots.

While I have no idea if he is correct in his assessment of Long. I believe he has a lot more knowledge about what it takes to be an NFL player than the posters on this forum.

Last edited:
I watched his highlights before draft and was impressed reminded me of Heath Miller just a tick faster

I don't really see it. I think he could be an upgrade to Smythe, but not star Pioli sees. I had Tremble rated higher. Here's hoping Pioli is right.

Great pick. Probably the best complete Tight End in the class. Excellent hands and nifty route runner. Really liked this pick. Will have a 10+ year career in the NFL, reminds me of Anthony Fasano but with more length.

ESPN’s Mel Kiper is more smitten on Long, ranking him 47th overall in the class and the No. 2 tight end behind only Florida star and likely top-10 pick Kyle Pitts. He’s listed by Kiper one spot ahead of Penn State’s Pat Freiermuth, a Merrimac native.

Kiper listed Long as his favorite tight end of the draft — excluding Pitts — saying he’s a player that could surprise people by going in the first round on Thursday, though is likely to hear his name called during the second round on Friday.

“He's big, tough and physical and he can block,” Kiper wrote. “He’ll also stretch the deep middle of the field. Thirty-nine of his catches last season were on throws between 5-15 yards downfield, which means he knows how to get open. That ranked as the third most in FBS. Long is a complete player, and young tight ends who can block are tough to find, so he's going to have a lot of suitors.”

Love how some of the loudest people that are crying about missing out on Kyle Pitts, are upset that we drafted a TE in the third round when it wasn't a need.

I wasn't a loud proponent of Pitts, though I would have taken him at 6 had he been there.

I said from the beginning that I would be happy with any one of Pitts, Chase, Smith or Waddle. Even had Sewell in that group for a short while, but really was focused on a play maker.

That said, those that loudly lobbied for Pitts aren't being hypocritical by criticizing the Long selection.

The overwhelming combination of elite size, speed, athleticism and skill set that Pitts possesses throws "need" right out the window. Which is likely why ATL took him even though they had huge needs on the lines, defensively and at QB.

Also, Pitts skill set allows him to play at WR. And some would argue that's really what he is anyway.

In short, there are notable differences between the two prospects. One you add no matter who is in the TE/WR room. The other is a lot more questionable in that regard, though I'm not suggesting it won't end up working out.

He should be fired immediately for statements like that!! Lmao. Who was he a scout for, clevland the last 30 years? He was obviously fired about 2 years ago when they started making good picks finally.

Bro... there's good scouts and bad scouts. Just cuz they're scouts doesn't mean they're good
So we should listen to YOU, the message board genius, over Scott Pioli? Please dude just go back to whatever rock you were living under before the draft.

Who have you been a scout for?

Well I'd rather listening to Pioli than to Simms. Either way, Long was one of my favorite players in this draft so I believe he'll be very good for our team. Not saying he'll be a pro bowler. No need to think about that right now.

Back
Top Bottom