Scott Pioli on Hunter Long | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Scott Pioli on Hunter Long

Yeah he was ok. Was not going to be a top tier QB. But anyhow, I value Pioli’s opinion more than Chris Simms.
Love how all these so-called talent evaluators love of sudden calling him a star if he didn’t get injured
Love the narratives, funnier by the day

I like the pick of Long, but let's not create a false equivalence.

Pitts is a #1 WR as much as he is a TE. There is no comparison to be made.
So Pitts going to be targeted and end up with the most stats on Atlanta over Ridley?

He is a #1 after all.

So Pitts going to be targeted and end up with the most stats on Atlanta over Ridley?

He is a #1 after all.

Year one? I have no idea. We are talking potential and player types not absolutes.

When I say he's a #1 I'm saying he has the skill set to develop into that role or split out wide like it.

The bottom line is comparing Long to Pitts is beyond ridiculous.

Year one? I have no idea. We are talking potential and player types not absolutes.

When I say he's a #1 I'm saying he has the skill set to develop into that role or split out wide like it.

The bottom line is comparing Long to Pitts is beyond ridiculous.
I don't think it's that ridiculous. Pitts is a matchup "nightmare" only when he's at the TE position. Theoretically if you just ALWAYS ran him out on routes and pretended that he was a WR, then the defense would just put a corner on the field to cover him every snap and the chess piece element goes out the window because he's not all-world at WR. He isn't fast enough for that.

The only way he makes defensive coordinators queasy is if he stays in to block sometimes so he either overpowers the corner in the run game or if a LB/Safety gets put on the field to stop that he runs by them instead.

So, back to the argument... People wanted to take Pitts at 3, but he still HAS to play TE to be completely effective. So if people were okay with him staying in to block at #3, then they should be perfectly fine with a TE in the 3rd round staying in to block in the same manner. Just because Pitts is a better receiving threat doesn't make the position any different with the whole "iT's nOt A nEeD" shtick.

I don't think it's that ridiculous. Pitts is a matchup "nightmare" only when he's at the TE position. Theoretically if you just ALWAYS ran him out on routes and pretended that he was a WR, then the defense would just put a corner on the field to cover him every snap and the chess piece element goes out the window because he's not all-world at WR. He isn't fast enough for that.

The only way he makes defensive coordinators queasy is if he stays in to block sometimes so he either overpowers the corner in the run game or if a LB/Safety gets put on the field to stop that he runs by them instead.

So, back to the argument... People wanted to take Pitts at 3, but he still HAS to play TE to be completely effective. So if people were okay with him staying in to block at #3, then they should be perfectly fine with a TE in the 3rd round staying in to block in the same manner. Just because Pitts is a better receiving threat doesn't make the position any different with the whole "iT's nOt A nEeD" shtick.

First off, really good post. Don't think my disagreeing means I don't think this was a really good point.

I guess where I see the difference is that on any given play I'm comfortable with Pitts split out as my #1 regardless of formation.

Heck, im comfortable going double TE on the line with Pitts split out.

I just think he gives position flexibility Long doesn't.

Like I said though I like the Long pick. I wasn't dead set on only Pitts either so I'm fine with what we did.

I just dont want to make it sound like they are the exact same player because IMO they bring very different skill sets.

Hybrids seem to flex better on D than on O.

TEs might get away with lining up on the OL then flexing to slot presnap, but it doesn't take long for that TE to become predictable at his strength. At that point the D can scheme him correctly and he either wins the matchup 1on1 or not. Most hybrid TE are still solely pass catchers used in matchup. Where as a real hybrid TE could be an above average blocker giving true RPO options at the LOS.

Hybrid D players can float all around the LOS and find matchups that work best for them. Not to mention hybrid S/CB and DE/LB offer scheme flexibility and can stay on the field longer.

O hybrids really don't have as much value as D hybrids.
Very few old school combo TE's any more. They're either Move TE's (AKA big slot receiver mismatch guys) or Inline TE's (AKA an extra OT who is tackle-eligible). It's no longer even signaling to have a Move TE on the field, because it's exactly the same as a slot WR, which most teams use as their base set these days. The 11 personnel grouping is ridiculously common these days.

Back
Top Bottom