Scott Pioli on Hunter Long | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Scott Pioli on Hunter Long

I'd like to see the quote b/c Pitts did a ton of that at Florida and talked about how hard he worked at improving his blocking.
The dude that I quoted said that. He said Hunter Long will stay in and block and Pitts won't which somehow makes our decision to draft a TE in the 3rd bad, but not in the 1st.

The guy has THREE SB rings and been in the front office of 5-6 NFL teams. He didn’t say it to diss KP—he said it because this kid’s legit. KP isn’t a TE. Your accuracy percentage has now dropped to 6%. Lol
Shucks

Phil Simms wasn’t a scout. Ever. Scott Pioli served as the Director - and later Vice President - of Player Personnel for the Patriots from 2001 to 2008 when the franchise won three Super Bowl championships. There’s a reason most of us have you on ignore.
It’s obvious you don’t.

Holland- A lot of draft gurus love this kid. Most of them will tell you that we got the best Safety in the draft. I heard one guy say he thinks he’s the best Defensive player in the draft and another that said regardless of where Holland gets picked, he’ll be the steal of the draft. I’m in PAC 12 country and saw too much of Holland making play after play against my beloved Utes during his 2 years at Oregon. He’s just one of those Defenders that’s seems to be involved in EVERY play. In all honesty, I think this guy could be seen as our best pick of this draft in a couple of years. I firmly believe he’s our future All-Pro Safety.
To be fair, the guy that said Holland is the best defender in the draft was MJD, who coached him. I can't find any info to confirm if it was as a high school assistant (Oakland) or if Holland was on that peewee team he coached. Holland grew up in Palo Alto, just east of Oakland, but he attended HS in Oakland. MJD was born in Oakland, but he grew up in the Antioch/Concord area, a little north, where Harris is from.

Just saying there may be a little bias there.

For what it's worth, I think Holland is the best S in the draft, but I'm not so sure he's the best player. I hope he is.

Weird shot at Pitts.
Read more like a reference than a shot to me ... pitts got all the headlines but our guy is the one under the radar who will shine even brighter in the Long run (see what I did there?;)) ...

that's my take anyway

Hunter Long will not “stay in there and block.” You’ve obviously not ever seen him play one down and just made that up. He was in fact the leading receiver for BC with nearly 60 catches in 11 games. Since you cannot do math or read, that’s over 5 receptions a game and over 12 yds per catch. FYI that’s more catches than Kyle Pitts in 2020. He was not drafted to block.
I think an easier way to put it is... unlike Pitts, Long blocks as well as catches.

I'd like to see the quote b/c Pitts did a ton of that at Florida and talked about how hard he worked at improving his blocking.
I think Pitts will eventually have to block in the NFL...but he did not do a ton of blocking at florida...not even a lot...not even average for a TE. He did minimal blocking.

Sounds like he will be a good blocker and finds a way to get open enough on the short to mid routes. I want to resign M. Gesicki as his ceiling is still very high in my eyes and love the thought of two good TE's on the field in a shotgun formation with either a Power Back or Speed Back. That would have Parker and Waddle ready for the deep shots. I think Parker is one of the better Jump Ball / Contested Catch WRs in the NFL.

If our top 2 BIG WRs stay healthy and we can rotate in a breather attack shot with Long as the back-up TE to setup playaction deep shots... we could have some very LONG scores this year. Parker & Williams with Waddle running the slot... I like Tua's options at WR. We have depth players that will have some say on how the games go from time to time. Fuller will be fighting hard to take William's spot on the field with Parker & Waddle. RB's have that chip on the shoulder approach... lower ranked guys that get to show how bad they want it. We could have a really good offense this year vs some good defenses. Our defense will look to help the offense once again this year... Coach'em up and get this team ready for a playoff run!

Love those draft days... feels optisimatic and just waiting for the season!
I don't think Fuller will be battling anyone to get on the field. He will be our most dominant player on the field with everyone else benefiting from the attention he gets.

Love how some of the loudest people that are crying about missing out on Kyle Pitts, are upset that we drafted a TE in the third round when it wasn't a need.

I like the pick of Long, but let's not create a false equivalence.

Pitts is a #1 WR as much as he is a TE. There is no comparison to be made.

I hate to put such a lofty comparison on a 3rd round pick, but I really do see glimpses of Gronk when I watch Long play. That same giant frame and those lumbering strides that don’t look all that fast but you don’t even realize he’s striding right past you.

I imagine the former patriot scout is seeing some of that too.

Back
Top Bottom