Scratch One Wannabe 1st Round Qb... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Scratch One Wannabe 1st Round Qb...

Personally i think Daniel Jones is the most NFL ready guy. Like Josh Allen, hes a sleeper. But looks good
He had a tough game yesterday but I agree and he is at least as good as Terbisky and has a higher QB IQ than RT with the same skills.

The thing that is a huge red flag for Haskins is that this was really the first time teams brought extra pressure and he didn't do well with it at all. Against 4 man fronts he can move in the pocket well, but there was a lot to look at him and say not yet.

Of course doesn't help him that Ohio State forgot how to run the football but that's another discussion
I think it was J who pointed out he is heavy on his feet which won't transition well to the NFL. Buckeyes have slowly abandoned the run game as of late and I'm not sure why. Purdue punched them in the mouth and they didn't know how to respond. Can't wait to see Michigan's defense against them.

I cannot see the wisdom in essentially paying 36 million dollars to move on from Ryan Tannehill to a guy who has not definitively proven to be a considerable upgrade from Ryan Tannehill.

Very understandable, that’s why as we go through possible scenarios, I get the feeling a lot of options will get basically eliminated.

I cannot see the wisdom in essentially paying 36 million dollars to move on from Ryan Tannehill to a guy who has not definitively proven to be a considerable upgrade from Ryan Tannehill.
I think the thought process is that Tannehill gets you into the mid first round. The team is talented enough to get you their regardless of who is taking snaps. They're going to have to give up draft picks to move up so now is the time to start acquiring picks for 2020, Parker being the case in point.

I think the thought process is that Tannehill gets you into the mid first round. The team is talented enough to get you their regardless of who is taking snaps. They're going to have to give up draft picks to move up so now is the time to start acquiring picks for 2020, Parker being the case in point.

This I can understand.

My question (and I think the question of a few others) is...if they're prepping for 2020, and moving on from Tannehill, what are they doing at QB in 2019? Trading or cutting him costs the team 13.5 million in dead cap...either in 2019 or spread out between 2019 and 2020. Who is out there that they can spend $13.5mm on (the remainder of what Tannehill would cost the team) in 2019...who is a better stopgap than Tannehill himself? If they're going to just run out Osweiler or Fales for a full year...they probably won't have to trade up much in 2020 to get a top QB anyway.

This I can understand.

My question (and I think the question of a few others) is...if they're prepping for 2020, and moving on from Tannehill, what are they doing at QB in 2019? Trading or cutting him costs the team 13.5 million in dead cap...either in 2019 or spread out between 2019 and 2020. Who is out there that they can spend $13.5mm on (the remainder of what Tannehill would cost the team) in 2019...who is a better stopgap than Tannehill himself? If they're going to just run out Osweiler or Fales for a full year...they probably won't have to trade up much in 2020 to get a top QB anyway.
It makes the most sense to stick with Tannehill but given the injury issues he is going through the last 3 seasons they'll need to be prepared to have a plan B. A lot of this is going to hinge on the prognosis of his shoulder and how does Osweiler play within Gase's offense.

It makes the most sense to stick with Tannehill but given the injury issues he is going through the last 3 seasons they'll need to be prepared to have a plan B. A lot of this is going to hinge on the prognosis of his shoulder and how does Osweiler play within Gase's offense.

Again, fair.

I think it was J who pointed out he is heavy on his feet which won't transition well to the NFL. Buckeyes have slowly abandoned the run game as of late and I'm not sure why. Purdue punched them in the mouth and they didn't know how to respond. Can't wait to see Michigan's defense against them.

Slimm noted it first, and I believe CK also mentioned it, but it's definitely an area that needs to improve. NFL DL's are too good for a slow-footed QB to excel. I think he returns for 2020, and if he can significantly improve, he becomes much more attractive. He's a natural passer.

Reactions: MD
There hasn’t been a college QB in years with Haskins combination of quick release, accuracy and arm strength. He’ll be fine. To call him trash is either foolish or you prefer your QB’s to be white. Your choice.

What do you all think of McSorley? In a way, he's projected right around where Mayfield was early in the draft process. Not comparing him to Mayfield, but he does seem to have the "it" factor.

I haven't really looked at the qb's in depth, but have to figure the NY Giants take the best one off the table. So, Miami is probably looking at the #2 option if they want to trade up. I read an article recently that indicated that the Dolphins were in a good spot to trade up as many of the "bad" teams this year already have young qb's in place.

Agree I'm not convinced about Carr at all, Tannehill out played him this season, how's he an upgrade ? The financial side of things as you point out makes this move folly in my view too.

There hasn’t been a college QB in years with Haskins combination of quick release, accuracy and arm strength. He’ll be fine. To call him trash is either foolish or you prefer your QB’s to be white. Your choice.

Tua,...at Bama says different!!!! Plus i prefer my QB's to be winners...

I'd say something here, but honestly Ian Wharton already said it so I'm just going to quote him.

Haskins' situational accuracy numbers against Purdue:
8 drops (2 TDs, 4 first downs)
17/20, TD on 3rd downs;
9/10, TD throwing beyond the marker
5/5 to the middle of the field
4/7, TD beyond 20 yards
6/7 on play action
20/22 behind the line of scrimmage

Listen, Ohio State had a bad game against Purdue. And the offense didn't get the job done. But to put it on Haskins is not right, IMO.

Compare and contrast with Herbert's night against Washington State...

Justin Herbert's situational accuracy numbers against Washington St:
3 drops (2 first downs)
10/15 on 3rd downs;
6/11 beyond the marker
16/19 on throws from 0-10 yards
1/9 beyond 20 yards
4/10 outside of the pocket

I like both quarterbacks and I think the issues that Dwayne Haskins has with keeping his feet moving, or more specifically getting his feet set into his throw after moving off his spot, we're finding out some of those issues as we go along but we're also finding out some of what he has when it comes to fighting adversity.

This is the first week he's really been faced with a game that slipped out of control because of a combination of poor defense and several dropped touchdowns and miscues from the players around him. At one point with 10 minutes to go in the game, the score was 28-6 and Haskins would go on to throw two more touchdowns in the next five minutes, which could have put them in position to try and cap an impossible comeback with a last minute drive. The problem is when Ohio State went 28-13, Purdue answered and made it 35-13, and when Ohio State goes 35-20, Purdue answers to make it 42-20. The game was well over by the time Haskins threw the pick-6 trying to score a 22-point play with 2 minutes left to go, down 42-20.

How about Kyle Murray?
I like Murray. He is playing better than Mayfield for the volume, but his volume is low, on pace for 250 attempts at 11 games. That's lower than Cam Newton 280 coming out, but Murray does not have the frame and arm like Newton. WIlson had 309 attempts in senior seasons. Murray is similar, very elusive in the pocket and can create. I would be more comfortable to draft him if he had higher attempts volume, at least like Russell Wilson. I think he'll need a strong running team to translate his skillset into a team success.

Back
Top Bottom