Sea Of Hands 2019 Edition | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sea Of Hands 2019 Edition

coalesce

Dolphin Fan since 1974
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Whenever asked, I always reference the Sea Of Hands game as probably the worst Dolphins loss I've ever endured in all my ears as a fan. Part of it was because I was so young (about nine years old) and because it denied the Dolphins a chance for a threepeat. That was 45 years ago, and it still stings.

It occurred to me last week after the Dolphins beat the Patriots in Foxboro that the game could very well be their version of the Sea Of Hands game, and last night's game just confirmed it. They had the greatest run in NFL history--six championships in 20 years--and it probably won't be equaled. Granted they never achieved PERFECTION, but I'd don't want to rub it in about how they had a chance at football immortality and couldn't do it, so I'll leave that alone...for now.

Someone much smarter than me wrote all things must pass, and last night, it passed.

I thought it was Dolphin Birthright to go to the Super Bowl during that period, and we would’ve won it again if not for the snake

Whenever asked, I always reference the Sea Of Hands game as probably the worst Dolphins loss I've ever endured in all my ears as a fan. Part of it was because I was so young (about nine years old) and because it denied the Dolphins a chance for a threepeat. That was 45 years ago, and it still stings.

It occurred to me last week after the Dolphins beat the Patriots in Foxboro that the game could very well be their version of the Sea Of Hands game, and last night's game just confirmed it. They had the greatest run in NFL history--six championships in 20 years--and it probably won't be equaled. Granted they never achieved PERFECTION, but I'd don't want to rub it in about how they had a chance at football immortality and couldn't do it, so I'll leave that alone...for now.

Someone much smarter than me wrote all things must pass, and last night, it passed.
I was 11 and still haven't gotten over it. Was depressed for days after that loss.

Thanks for bringing it up again. :(

I was also 9 years old during the Sea of Hands game, or what was also referred to as Super Bowl VII 1/2. Those were probably the two best teams in football that year. That was the loss that signaled the end of Miami's dynasty and this does seem like the end for New England. But we've all written off the Patriots before and they also somehow rebound.

I was also 9 years old during the Sea of Hands game, or what was also referred to as Super Bowl VII 1/2. Those were probably the two best teams in football that year. That was the loss that signaled the end of Miami's dynasty and this does seem like the end for New England. But we've all written off the Patriots before and they also somehow rebound.
I understand why you would say that, but I respectfully disagree. At some point, Tom Brady will either leave or retire, as will Bill. The odds against them rising from the ashes to achieve dynastic heights again with a different cast of characters are astronomically low. If it were easy, so many other teams would've done it already.

I understand why you would say that, but I respectfully disagree. At some point, Tom Brady will either leave or retire, as will Bill. The odds against them rising from the ashes to achieve dynastic heights again with a different cast of characters are astronomically low. If it were easy, so many other teams would've done it already.
I hope so. But, they find ways to win when Brady doesn't play well. Heck, Brady for the most part was an average quarterback this year and the Patriots went 12-4. Granted, it was at the hands of some bad teams overall. They won the super bowl last year in a game where Brady probably made two plays. They might have won with Edelman playing wildcat the entire game. This team has always won on defense first with Brady playing efficient, mistake free football. And sometimes playing the superman role, but not often.

Bellichick is that good. Like Shula, he will find a way.

Im young, but the 62-7 loss against the Jaguars wasnt the worst ever?
I was there and it was god awful- after blowing up the kingdome in Seattle I really thought we were “on our way”. Not the way Dans career should have ended

Last edited:
Raiders and Madden were the early day Cheatriots - They flooded the field over night and the Dolphins didn't have their full allotment of spikes on hand for what was otherwise going to be good weather, then the Raiders receivers were covered in Stick 'Um is the only reason Biletnikoff caught that pass.
Fred Biletnikoff - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Fred_Biletnikoff

He would apply the substance all over his body and uniform prior to a game, a practice that was later picked up by Raiders cornerback Lester Hayes after Biletnikoff introduced him to it. The use of Stickum was banned by the NFL in 1981.

Im young, but the 62-7 loss against the Jaguars wasnt the worst ever?
The 62-7 was a puke of a game but going in we had no shot. Jax was terrific and we were a tired, wild card winner coming back to the SE from Seattle after pulling out a last GW TD drive that went 92 yards and included a huge 4th down conversion by Dan and another big 3rd down over the middle to Gadsden to beat the blitz. It was vintage Marino heroics and somehow after winning that game you just knew that was it. He was injured and had a rough season (9 TD to 17 picks) and the ream was running on fumes. No one saw 62-7 but winning that game would have taken everything to go right. Instead everything went right for Jax. IIR Fred Taylor went 80 yards on the fist play of the game. It was over before you finished your first beer.

Back
Top Bottom