sean salisbery says Losmn would be 1st overall | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

sean salisbery says Losmn would be 1st overall

Sean Salisbury isn't alone. Mel Kiper also agrees. But more importantly, one of the best NFL's best GM's and talent evaluators agrees, "Tom Donahoe has no second thoughts about giving up the Buffalo Bills' No. 1 pick in the 2005 NFL Draft.
The Buffalo Bills' president and general manager looks at the quarterbacks available in this year's draft and thinks he was fortunate to select J.P. Losman in the draft a year ago.

"I think he could be the first player taken (this year)," Donahoe said of Losman at a pre-draft media briefing Monday in Orchard Park. "That's just my opinion. I think he's definitely the first quarterback taken, and generally quarterbacks go first....Donahoe obviously is biased in favor of Losman, whom the Bills acquired last year in exchange for this year's No. 1 choice, along with second- and fifth-rounders last year. However, all draft experts agree that the quarterback class this year pales in comparison to last year's class.

Two quarterbacks this year - Utah's Alex Smith and California's Aaron Rodgers - are rated as top 10 prospects. No experts suggest they would have been top 10 picks last year. And if the Bills had kept what turned out to be the 23rd overall pick this year, it's apparent there would not have been a prime QB candidate worthy of the pick.

"As an organization we felt last year going into the draft that we wanted to try to get a young quarterback either last year or this year," Donahoe said. "When we looked at some of the grades Blesto (a national scouting service) had on juniors for this year - you don't know what underclassmen are going to come out - the junior grades on the quarterbacks were not exceptional. And there were four quarterbacks last year that we really liked."
" (Buffalo News)

Buffalo News Article Discussing Tom Donahoe's views on the QB's

The Green Bay Packers had Losman as a top 3 QB and the GM of the Rams said he liked Losman better than Manning, Roethlisberger, and Rivers.

I know you guys are praying that Losman is a bust. No one knows what will happen until we see the guy play real NFL games. But Salisbury isn't the only one that likes Losman...

Here is a non-bias source(not some ESPN clown or local paper) comparin Losman and this year's top 2 QBs:

LOSMAN:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/47584.html
Had a solid Combine and displayed some of the best long-passing skills.

POSITIVES: Nice-sized athletic passer with an NFL arm. Quickly sets up in the pocket, has a short, quick delivery and the pass explodes from his hand. Patient, buys time in the pocket and a tough passer that takes a hit in order to get the throw off. Senses pressure, gets outside tackle and easily eludes the rush, making the throw on the move.
NEGATIVES: Throws flat footed at times and as a result will be high of a target. Too often relies on his strong arm to make the play. Holds the ball too long in the pocket and takes unnecessary sacks.

ANALYSIS: A confident quarterback with the tools to back it up, Losman is a physically gifted passer with the ability to play in multiple offensive schemes.
PROJECTION: Early Second Round

ALEX SMITH
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/63700.html
POSITIVES: Efficient and reliable passer that's done well in his college system. Accurate in the short field, leads receivers over the middle and places throws where only his target can make the reception. Solid timing on crossing patterns.
NEGATIVES: Must improve his corner patters in the end zone as passes tend to be flat. Rarely threw the ball down field in the Utah system.

ANALYSIS: A natural leader that does an excellent job running the offense, Smith has been very productive the past two years. Stays away from mistakes and has a tremendous touchdown-to-interception ratio. Does not have a deep passing arm just yet but would be initially effective in a timing or West Coast offense as he grows into a pro passing game.

PROJECTION: Early First Round

AARON RODGERS
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/64079.html
POSITIVES: Athletic passer with the physical skills and mental intangibles needed to lead a franchise at the next level. Quickly sets up in the pocket, sells ball fakes and technically very sound. Poised under the rush, steps up to avoid defenders and works to keep the play alive. Patient, buys time in the pocket and waits for receivers to come free. Does an excellent job with his reads and natural looking off the safety. Does not make mental errors and throws the ball away rather than toss the errant pass.

NEGATIVES: Though accurate, lacks top pass placement and has receivers extending vertically to pull the ball out of the air. Must improve his accuracy down the field. Lacks top footwork releasing the ball off a three step drop. Lacks pocket stature.

ANALYSIS: A physically gifted passer with a great understanding of the position, Rodgers has made himself one of the nation's top quarterback prospects the past two seasons. May not fit every system...
PROJECTION: Early First Round
(NOTE: To read full analysis, click article)

So, Losman7, go ahead and believe that Losman is a better prospect than everyone in this draft...:rolleyes: :shakeno:

P.S.: 2nd rounder, sounds like a reach...:lol:

Justasportsfan said:
Mort says the same thing.

I really believe it. I mean, at last years draft Losman was talked about very highly. Of course Finfans are gonna say he sucks, but I think the skys the limit with this kid.

Sure, he could turn out to be a bust, but he's in a perfect position to succeed, great RB, great WR's, Wyche coaching him, great D to cover his mistakes.

jlfin said:
Both of the top QB's in this draft have superior mobility and athleticism to Losman..

This is absolutly not true. Look at the numbers.

Losman7 said:
in this years draft. I'm gonna have to agree with him. You guys should go with a RB, these QB's are gonna bust.

yeah right losman sucks...hes gonna be horrible trust me...hes a athletic qb with an above average arm...Alex Smith was 21-1 at utah and hes a winner coming in to the nfl...also his arm isnt weak like people say...i believe in my mind Losman in this draft wouldnt be picked til round 2...I believe Charlie Frye is a better prospect then him...Stupid Buffalo jumped the gun once again and took him cause there were no other qb prospects worth a damn...and they thought green bay was gonna snatch him which they werent, Buffalo also felt Losman was man then any other qb prospect coming out this year...which in my opinion proved not to be true!

the thing about bledsoe is he will not try to be superman and run all over the place loseman will and when he does ha ha he is done, come back to this forum after week 8 and i bet loseman will be one of three places 1.bench 2.wheelchair
3.at the house. if he does good and is tough i will eat my words, by the way does buffalo play the ravens? if so ray lewis will break this kid he is to ****y.

NEGATIVES: Throws flat footed at times and as a result will be high of a target. Too often relies on his strong arm to make the play. Holds the ball too long in the pocket and takes unnecessary sacks.

PROJECTION: Early Second Round

These are some draft notes from last year and I think that what you guys have here is a fast QB with the same mental problems as Bledsoe. I still think that Drew is the more intelligent QB so now you have someone that is not as smart but can run faster. Good luck ill talk Alex Smith anyday of the week over this guy. It is obvious if you watch Smith he has the athletic ability to be great and from what ive been reading he is one of the most intelligent QB's in years. Now I know that you Bills fans fall in love with your players but honestly if you are a GM who are you going to take?

Wait a minute, Losman played on a terrible Tulane team by CHOICE. In fact, he transferred from UCLA for the stated purpose of finding a team whose fate rested entirely on his shoulders. I still have contacts in the LA media and not one of them has a kind thing to say about J.P Losman. Not exactly a mature kid or team-oriented player.

He does have a good arm and release. No questioning his onfield ****iness and aggressive attitide, which usually translate well at the QB position. Still, I agree the Bills overpaid last year. At Tulane, Losman was far too erratic with questionable judgements for me to take him in the first round.

No way he's ahead of Smith or Rodgers in the draft order this year. Although I wouldn't discount Losman as a superior pro to Rodgers. I just don't like Rodgers.

Losman7 said:
I really believe it. I mean, at last years draft Losman was talked about very highly. Of course Finfans are gonna say he sucks, but I think the skys the limit with this kid.

Sure, he could turn out to be a bust, but he's in a perfect position to succeed, great RB, great WR's, Wyche coaching him, great D to cover his mistakes.

I don't think he's going to be a bust, but I don't think he's a better prospect than the top 2 coming out this year. Your comments are just wishful thinking. You only hope that Smith turns out to be a bust if Miami drafts him.

baalworship said:
No one knows what will happen until we see the guy play real NFL games.

ok, thats fair, but somehow you guys know that Smith and Rodgers will flop?

But Salisbury isn't the only one that likes Losman

Are we to expect Donahue to say a 1st year starter is a bust already? Of course he'll say something positive. Cant blame him for that but it is to be expected.

It's a stupid stance to take by Sealsbury becuase YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT LOSMAN WOULD HAVE DONE AS A SENIOR IN COLLEGE! Your telling me if he threw 10 TD's to 20 INT's, he's the top QB in this draft?

It's idiotic on so many levels its beyond stupid

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=7841

Mike (Greensboro): Were the Bills smart to get Losman last year for a 1st? Where would he be ranked against this years QBs?

Chris Mortensen: (11:46 AM ET ) Under those terms, I think Losman might have graded higher this year than Smith and Rodgers.

The link may now be different since they post the lastest chats.Oh and Jaworski even said that JP may be the best talent of the qb's last year. Even if he was off a little that still means he's worth a 1st rd. pick.

Let's say for agruments sake that Smith, Rogers and JP are of the same level (let's meet half way) . That means taking Smith or Rogers at no. 1 and 2 would be a reach for anyone since JP was considered by some as (arguably) a 2nd rounder last year.

That's how weak this qb class is this year.

Back
Top Bottom