Season performance graph | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Season performance graph

where's th'fish

Scout Team
Reaction score
An historical game-by-game graph of the performance of the team from the point of view of analytics (Football Outsiders). Red is adjusted by strength of the opposition, green is not. I thought you guys would be interested to see it. Except for the Chargers game, each game has improved upon the last when you factor in strength of opposition.

2019MIAWeek10.png

Is this "good?"

I can't tell...
Well, analytics do have value. It certainly points to the fact that we are consistently making progress. Of course, most of us can see this, as it's apparent just by watching.

The other side of the coin is we were so bad the first few weeks, there was no where to go but up.

What are you charting on the x axis. Can you define along with the header acronyms. I think that would help. Thanks

Yes this is good. The numbers are telling us what a lot of us have been saying... this team is playing better each week on both sides of the ball.

It is not just an opinion, it is factual and empirically proven with this graph.
Exactly!

What are you charting on the x axis. Can you define along with the header acronyms. I think that would help. Thanks

Sure. DVOA is something like "value over average" adjusted by opposition. 0% would be average, in theory. For reference, the 16th best team in the league at the moment (Detroit) is at 0.6% right now. What the tool does is give a value to each play depending on down, distance and a few other things and see how effectively the play helped the goal of getting a first down and scoring (or stopping that, for defenses). So a 1-yard gain in 3rd and 1 gets a high score, but a 7-yard gain on 3rd and 10 is garbage.

Exactly!

Sure. DVOA is something like "value over average" adjusted by opposition. 0% would be average, in theory. For reference, the 16th best team in the league at the moment (Detroit) is at 0.6% right now. What the tool does is give a value to each play depending on down, distance and a few other things and see how effectively the play helped the goal of getting a first down and scoring (or stopping that, for defenses). So a 1-yard gain in 3rd and 1 gets a high score, but a 7-yard gain on 3rd and 10 is garbage.
God I love analytics! That's one hell of a chart. Im going to have to Google around. I want to see some actual calculations. Thanks

Ah football outsiders, second only to espn’s qbr in useless “advanced” statistics.

for those poo poo'ing the stats - you don't need em

if you've been watching every week it's abundantly clear we are playing better with practice squad talent

we gave our rb 20+ carries and got a whopping 2 YPC last week and still won

we had a cb off the street come in and play lockdown defense all game and seal it with a pick

flores has these boys playing and the whole tanking narrative has em playing with a big chip too

not good for our draft stock, but a nice feather in the cap of our coaching staff

for those poo poo'ing the stats - you don't need em

if you've been watching every week it's abundantly clear we are playing better with practice squad talent

we gave our rb 20+ carries and got a whopping 2 YPC last week and still won

we had a cb off the street come in and play lockdown defense all game and seal it with a pick

flores has these boys playing and the whole tanking narrative has em playing with a big chip too

not good for our draft stock, but a nice feather in the cap of our coaching staff

Yup. Human nature. A stat confirms a theory, post it. Disproves a theory, it is flawed

Back
Top Bottom