Season performance graph | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Season performance graph

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Though the Dolphins have been passing the eyetest for a bit now, always good to see stats confirm what we all know we saw with our own eyes.

Makes it that much better to think how this team will look when our premium talent comes back from injury, FA gives us some more talent, and the draft brings even more young hungry talent to this team.

Yup nothing compares with the old finheaven poster eyeball test :=). That is the most useful information in NFL football in the entire galaxy.

it’s clear you’re being sarcastic, but what’s not clear is why? There are a lot of good advanced statistics used by many different sites. However espns qbr and football outsiders DVOA are garbage. can you even debate that?

it’s clear you’re being sarcastic, but what’s not clear is why? There are a lot of good advanced statistics used by many different sites. However espns qbr and football outsiders DVOA are garbage. can you even debate that?
Statistics can be valuable in comparative analysis, but intangibles, by definition, are not readily quantifiable. That's where the "eyeball" test becomes relevant.

For example, a QB can be conservative, playing smart football and avoiding mistakes, but also have the innate ability to produce when the game is on the line. He may not lead the league in a lot of statistical categories, but he's a "winner".

Statistics can be valuable in comparative analysis, but intangibles, by definition, are not readily quantifiable. That's where the "eyeball" test becomes relevant.

For example, a QB can be conservative, playing smart football and avoiding mistakes, but also have the innate ability to produce when the game is on the line. He may not lead the league in a lot of statistical categories, but he's a "winner".
Wouldn’t that skill to make big plays in tough situations be easy to see given the DVOA stat? If the previous post about this stat is correct, then getting a 1 yard completion when you need it would be be worth a lot of points to DVOA while it would hurt YPA

Wouldn’t that skill to make big plays in tough situations be easy to see given the DVOA stat? If the previous post about this stat is correct, then getting a 1 yard completion when you need it would be be worth a lot of points to DVOA while it would hurt YPA
Perhaps, but only if it were "weighted" relative to the score/outcome.

You could, theoretically, rack up a lot of meaningless points, in losing efforts.

An example of how stats can often be misleading, is how high scoring offensive teams, typically have less than stellar pass defense statistics, and good rush defense rankings. Often their opponents are playing from a large score decifit, thereby requiring them to pass an inordinate amount of times, as the clock runs. Meanwhile the team with the lead, plays "off", so as to keep everything safely in front of them, and not give up big plays.

You can formulate the statistical inputs in ways to take specific situations into account, but they can quickly become so complex that they stray from being all that useful, as they become, by definition, so situationally specific, they arent reflective of overall reality.

I have nothing against anylitcs at all. They are a valuable part of any modern coaching staff. They just have to be taken in the context each formula was designed, and intended for.

Perhaps, but only if it were "weighted" relative to the score/outcome.

You could, theoretically, rack up a lot of meaningless points, in losing efforts.

An example of how stats can often be misleading, is how high scoring offensive teams, typically have less than stellar pass defense statistics, and good rush defense rankings. Often their opponents are playing from a large score decifit, thereby requiring them to pass an inordinate amount of times, as the clock runs. Meanwhile the team with the lead, plays "off", so as to keep everything safely in front of them, and not give up big plays.

You can formulate the statistical inputs in ways to take specific situations into account, but they can quickly become so complex that they stray from being all that useful, as they become, by definition, so situationally specific, they arent reflective of overall reality.

I have nothing against anylitcs at all. They are a valuable part of any modern coaching staff. They just have to be taken in the context each formula was designed, and intended for.
The formula includes the game situation and garbage-time production is penalized.

I’m honestly not a big stats guy, but the site rips lots of these services. Most obvious is PFF. It’s not perfect but there are lots of cases where I feel certain guys are playing well and the PFF grade backs it up. It’s something at least. As for this graph, from what I understand we are on a similar trend to one the Patriots are typically on. Considering there success there has to be some value in it. Although I doubt we continue.

On QB I’m all about TD to INT ratio and YPA. I don’t give a **** about yards, rating or QBR:

The stat that concerns me the most will be the % of draft picks that are successful in the next 2/3 drafts especially the first 4/5 rounds.
Forget 50% can it be pushed to 60 or better.

The stat that concerns me the most will be the % of draft picks that are successful in the next 2/3 drafts especially the first 4/5 rounds.
Forget 50% can it be pushed to 60 or better.

Not to pick a nit, but the debate will be over "successful."
6 Full time starters IN 1ST YEAR?
2-3 All Pros?
Players who show significant development by game 16?
Did they fill the RIGHT positions?
Or, the ever popular bar of the minority - no more 'COULD have had . . . '

The typical team gets 2-3 starters in a year. Miami has more picks so that number should be higher. VERY few teams get an All Pro. About 40% of top 10 picks make All Pro ONCE in a career.

2-3 All Pros?

The typical team gets 2-3 starters in a year. Miami has more picks so that number should be higher. VERY few teams get an All Pro. About 40% of top 10 picks make All Pro ONCE in a career.
Is that 40% an actual stat, or was it just meant to make a point?

I don't have an issue either way, I would just find it interesting, if there is data backing it up.

Is that 40% an actual stat, or was it just meant to make a point?

I don't have an issue either way, I would just find it interesting, if there is data backing it up.

IIRC, the actual # is a out 42%. Read it 1-2 yrs ago in a football mag

2-3 All Pros?

Yes I thought that after I posted. So loosely would say depending on when they are drafted, rounds 1-3 you normally hope they will start or be great off the bench ie 3 good DE's or 2 good RB's. Rounds 4/5 possible starters or at least add good depth. Then you would take into account All Pro, length of career etc.
Bottom line I think we have 17 picks so instead of 8/9 making an impact it pushes out to 11/12 with one of the 6/7 rounders contributing. That's around half a team combined with some from the current squad and FA's gives us a good young talent base.

A much needed dose of reality on Sunday.

Arrow points down next 2 games

Back
Top Bottom