Second Half of the Season Scoring Swoon.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Second Half of the Season Scoring Swoon....

Disnardo

Premium Member
Reaction score
IMO, it seems to be the biggest factor for missing the playoffs the last few years...

Since 2000 this team has had an average scoring offense and a great score stopping defense, but since 01', we have not smelled the cut grass in the Post Season playing fields. Some of us give blame to the FO (including coaches, assistants and scouts), position players and the team's owner. Well, it’s easy to say that after some time, 4 years, I like many of you, have done some analyzing on the issues.

We need offensive personnel upgrades like QB, WR, OL to reach the Post Season, but this year showed that we need to change some things and/or players in the defensive side as well.

Yes, the HC was responsible for choosing the personnel and coaching staff. Now, I do not want to lay credence to this post that I in any way, can pinpoint to the actual problem(s), because it is only my opinion, as I see it. Some of you will criticize my view, and I welcome the comments. If you want to read on continue and hopefully this won’t hurt much…

Out of the last 4 years, we have scored enough points to get us into the playoffs in each and every year, scoring 311 in 03’; 378 in 02’; 344 in 01’, and 323 in 00’. In 00’ and 01’, we were 11-5 and no matter how inconsistent this O unit was, we got there. Some will say that our D was part of the success of the team, and I absolutely agree, but what happened with this team in 02’ when it scored 378 points that year? Why did we still end with a 9-7 record? We had the most points scored over the last 8 years and what did it get us? Well, let me show these stats that I have compiled, which might lead credence to this analysis.

Our team (offense/defense/special teams) has shown a propensity to reduce its points scoring output by an average of 10%, the second half of the season (last 8 games). It has been like that for the last 4 years running. This should lay some credence to our December swoon, which actually starts in mid November.

The teams who have made it, and won the Super Bowl (over the last 4 years analyzed only), have either been consistent or improved their PS (point scored) in the 2nd ½ of their SB season (3 out of 4 improved). While, 3 out of the 4 improved in PA (points allowed) in the 2nd ½ of their SB season.

(Note) By 1st ½ = First 8 games of season, 2nd ½ = Last 8 games of season.
(Note) I will also annotate O (as points scored) and D (as points allowed). Not necessarily a units fault or responsibility, but a team effort.

In 03’= (O) 161 in 1st ½, 150 in 2nd ½.
“ “ = (D) 110 “ “ “ 151 “ “ “ .

In 02’= (O) 200 in 1st ½, 178 in 2nd ½.
“ “ = (D) 167 “ “ “ 134 “ “ “ .

In 01’ = (O) 180 in 1st ½, 164 in 2nd ½.
“ “ = (D) 161 “ “ “ 129 “ “ “.

In 00’ = (O) 167 in 1st ½, 143 in 2nd ½.
“ “ = (D) 111 “ “ “ 115 “ “ “.

This team has score 21+ points in 37 out of the last 64 regular season games, which are about 58% of those games. When that has happened, they have won 89% of those games (33-4).
This team has allowed 21+ points scored against in 23 out of those 64 games, which is about 36% of those games. When that has happened, they have won only 39% of those games (9-14).

These facts show that our offense has a declining affect in ppg in the second half of the season, at least for the last 4 years. This year though, our defense played a BIG role in the 2nd ½, in that meltdown. Even JT admitted to it at the end of the year. You can lay numerous excuses for those numbers, but then every team that goes to the SB faces issues and gets through them as a team.

Bottom line, we have a change at GM, assistant coaches, and numerous players in the O unit as well as the D unit have been released, and acquiring the right personnel (both players and coaches), this team should be a BETTER, yes I said BETTER, contender again in the coming season.

By the end of November, we should be able to evaluate our D and O against the statistics of the 1st ½ of the year. I got a feeling they should show improvements, if they do…

GOOD BYE DECEMBER SWOON :)

I guess this post could be moved by the mods....

Pretty good analogy to what we've seen. We've talked about the melt down in the terms you've stated. Even in the year the O put up points, the D melted down, ie. vikings, NE games, if it wasn't the D, it was the O..Team hasn't been consistent in the 2nd half of the year yet. It's the D or O in decline each time..hopefully we get players of character on the O. Hopefully it rubs off on the D.

Looked who we have played in the second half. 2 playoffs teams(New England, Indianapolis) in the frist half, compared to 5 playoff teams(Dallas, Tennessee, New England, Philadelphia, and Baltimore) in the second half. So the numbers are going to be down. Let's not forget our Offense put up 27 points against the Eagles, but gave up 34. 2 games without Fiedler in the 2nd half (Baltimore and Tennessee-we only scored a pitiful 16 points). With the exception of the Patriots game in Foxboro, our team averaged 134 points (5 Games) with Jay at the helm the second half of the season 26.8 average. Problem is when Jay isn't completely healthy he sucks, when is healthy, he's pretty efficient.

No one told me I had to take a calculus class to read posts here! :lol: Oh well, good work I suppose.

great teams step it up at crunch time and thesecond half of the season

Back
Top Bottom