Second Wave Of Free Agency | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Second Wave Of Free Agency

To me, I hope they devote the majority of their resources to giving Rosen a proven OL. It's like j-off-her-doll says, there is a time-senstiive element to the offense that is not there for defense--in his case because we were setting up for Tua in 2020, but now even more so: we need a fair look to see if Rosen is the guy, in essentially one year. I think the WR/TE group is talented enough to get open, so with that and a backup RB we should at least have enough on tape to see if Rosen can light it up. I don't care what our record is, only what the offense looks like this year.

I would say keep an eye on big names like LB Jamie Collins or NT Danny Shelton, either of whom could make a lot of sense.

But I'd also keep an eye on guys like LG Patrick Omameh (who has played under Pat Flaherty for years) or LG Chance Warmack, as valid competition for Michael Deiter. They're both still under 30, and either one would probably be cheap.

My sense is they may want to have Isaiah Prince compete with Jesse Davis for the starting RT job. I personally believe Jaryd Jones-Smith would come closer to beating Davis out for it than Prince would, but I also wonder if Jaryd would be viewed as competing to be the immediate left tackle backup to Laremy Tunsil. But if they do want more competition for Jesse Davis at right tackle then I imagine RT Joe Barksdale could be an option. He was always a decent pass protector, which i think may be a priority for them. He's another guy under 30 years old.

Surprisingly for a NE style offense, I'm not sure if the Dolphins have enough proven competition for the slot receiver position. Albert Wilson was never your pure traditional QB-friendly slot receiver. Kenny Stills is not, either. They have good numbers from slot, but the routes they run are different from a Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman, Wes Welker type. And the guys behind Wilson are...Isaiah Ford? Trenton Irwin? If you want to surround Josh Rosen and give him the best chance you can give him, I would think you'd like to get someone a little more proven in this spot to compete. Someone like SLWR Jermaine Kearse. He should come cheap.

I'm not certain that they're done at the running back position. I don't see guys like Kenneth Farrow (AAF), Myles Gaskin (7th round), or Patrick Laird (UDFA) being significant gets, not even necessarily to the level of what you'd want for the third running back on the roster. It's no secret RB Duke Johnson of Cleveland has been trying to force a trade, is in the midst of a stare down with the Browns. But I think he might have a return to Miami in mind. I would continue to keep an eye on that situation. He would be perfect for what Chad O'Shea wants.

I look at this corners group and I can't imagine how they can be satisfied with it. Eric Rowe's groin has been nowhere near stable enough to count on him starting all year opposite Xavien Howard. Cordrea Tankersley is coming off a major injury and has struggled for two years besides. Torry McTyer was the guy to pick on when he was in the games. NE's staff would know that. Unless some scratch-off tickets like Dee Delaney or Cornell Armstrong surprise the **** out of you, you're probably an Eric Rowe (predictably) getting sidelined away from being weak at one of your starting corner positions.

It depends on how badly they want to try and win with Josh Rosen to see what they have, but if it's bad enough they could give CB Sam Shields a call and see if he'd like to play one of his final years (if not his very final year) back in Miami. I'm pretty sure he'd be up for it, and it would give you an immediately credible coverage option at that corner position opposite Howard. Otherwise, I suppose CB Morris Claiborne is a 'name' guy that I know some of the Dolphins front office staff have been high on in the past. He's under 30, so he'd fit.

Mostly agree with this, but I personally believe wilson makes perfect sense at slot, was he leading the league in yac before his injury last year. With Preston =) and Kenny on the outside with grant coming in on passing downs makes perfect sense. With gesiki and drake or gaskin flying out of the backfield sounds like an explosive young group of talent. If they can get the oline to gel at some point we might be alot better than we think. I can promise you we arent the worst team in the league as we are projected again.

Mostly agree with this, but I personally believe wilson makes perfect sense at slot, was he leading the league in yac before his injury last year. With Preston =) and Kenny on the outside with grant coming in on passing downs makes perfect sense. With gesiki and drake or gaskin flying out of the backfield sounds like an explosive young group of talent. If they can get the oline to gel at some point we might be alot better than we think. I can promise you we arent the worst team in the league as we are projected again.

Wilson is going to play there, but he's not just going to play there. You'd not be doing him any favors to keep him there full time, nor I think your QB because there are routes you'd want there that aren't his forte.

Miami absolutely needs to get a pass-rusher, someone you can at least feel comfortable will be somewhat realiable on one end.

Looking at the list of current free agents, here are the guys i would not mind bringing in to compete for spots (only on 1 year prove it deals - or 2 year deals with next year being non guaranteed). i

WR De'Anthony Thomas (26) (depending on Grants health)
WR ArDarius Stewart (25)

OT TJ Clemmings (27)
OG Chance Warmack (27)
OC Marcus Martin (25)

Edge Nick Perry (29)
Edge Kony Ealy (27)
DL Corey Liuget (29)
DL Muhammad Wilkerson (29)
DL Danny Shelton (25)
DL Dominique Easley (26)
OLB Shane Ray (25)
OLB Jamie Collins (29)
ILB Ramik Wilson (26)
S Tre Boston (26)
S Jonathan Cyprien (28)

The corners on the market are absolutely horrible. I guess I would take a chance on Morris Claiborne or Kayvon Webster, now I see why we are letting a bunch of kids battle it out.

Looking at the list of current free agents, here are the guys i would not mind bringing in to compete for spots (only on 1 year prove it deals - or 2 year deals with next year being non guaranteed). i

WR De'Anthony Thomas (26) (depending on Grants health)
WR ArDarius Stewart (25)

OT TJ Clemmings (27)
OG Chance Warmack (27)
OC Marcus Martin (25)

Edge Nick Perry (29)
Edge Kony Ealy (27)
DL Corey Liuget (29)
DL Muhammad Wilkerson (29)
DL Danny Shelton (25)
DL Dominique Easley (26)
OLB Shane Ray (25)
OLB Jamie Collins (29)
ILB Ramik Wilson (26)
S Tre Boston (26)
S Jonathan Cyprien (28)

The corners on the market are absolutely horrible. I guess I would take a chance on Morris Claiborne or Kayvon Webster, now I see why we are letting a bunch of kids battle it out.
Other than Danny Shelton there really isn't anyone on that list that moves the needle. Thank God Miami has all that cap space and picks in 2020.

The 3 Olineman stood out to me only because they are all young and were once high picks. None of the names made me jump for joy, but Dominique Easley did stand out. Only 26, Patriots 1st round pick, and was also on Rams stacked DL last year. Could be worth it to see what he looks like.

Oline is all I care about. We need to protect Rosen to give him a fair shake. Bring in a handful of guys on one year deals. Overpay if necessary. I could care less about defense. This year should be all about evaluating Rosen.

Back
Top Bottom