Senior bowl practices schedule on TV if you like to watch | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Senior bowl practices schedule on TV if you like to watch

As a pro, Mostert has been very fragile, and very average. Most of the smaller backs need to be 100% to be productive.
Spears may be okay as a pro as part of a committee, but I wonder... how highly do you draft a committee back?
3rd round?
5th round?
Lower?
If a part time player drops low enough, I'll bite.
Brother Fever, who are your top 3 rbs that we could reasonably draft this year?

Brother Fever, who are your top 3 rbs that we could reasonably draft this year?
Well... I'm looking for a specific kind of back, and this is why I disagree with brother Largo. He and I are looking for different skill sets. I hope that the Dolphins will draft a back who can realistically play on any of the three downs; he'll have to run tough, catch passes, and be able to pass block a bit.

Largo loves the home run ball and wants a guy who has deep speed and the ability to take it to the house on any play. I don't think either of us is wrong really... Spears would be a great weapon; he's just not the weapon that I believe our offense needs with Tua as QB, and Hill and Waddle already on the team.

So I'm not looking too closely at guys like Spears, Ibrahim, or Achane... Instead I'm looking for a guy who might fall to us (so no Bijan Robinson), but who have shown they have sure hands and the ability to pick up a blitz before flaring out as an outlet receiver. Jahmyr Gibbs is an elite receiver and runner but might not be the pass blocker I'm looking for, but God does he ever look like Alvin Kamara (I wish he were a little bigger). I also have my doubts that he falls to us, but I'd take him if he does... I think there are only two elite prospects in this draft, so I'd certainly take him even though I wish he carried 10-15 more pounds.

Charbonnet, therefore is first on my list of guys who could/should fall to us. He checks all of my boxes and could easily catch a pass or pick up third and short. He does not have elite speed (thus, not a Largo back). I do think that he's exactly the type of back that our offense lacks.
Tank Bigsby might be second on my list, though he's rarely mentioned here at FH. Downside, Auburn didn't use him in the passing game enough to get a real read on his ability there. I think he could be the guy eventually, but maybe not from day one. I do like the fact that he's a one cut runner; this should work well in a zone-blocking system.

So I guess that's three with Gibbs, but this year there are a lot of other guys who I think would fit-- and who could be had very cheaply. Miller, McIntosh, Abanikanda... even Hull could be solid contributors in our offense, so I don't necessarily think we have to reach for a back. I think we could trade down from the third round and find a decent back on the third day. Even Spears... if we can't resign Mostert.

One thing I would like to mention is this... While the Senior Bowl (and to a lesser extent, the Shrine) always draw a lot of attention of those of us who love the draft, it is also true that the best prospects don't attend. The men who are assured of being drafted early don't risk injury or being downgraded by a poor performance in a new setting.
The game, instead, draws guys who hope to show enough to be drafted in the middle rounds, or even be drafted at all. So we get a solid week of breathless coverage about marginal prospects and spend all week talking about how this or that player has 'risen'. Every year we see the football press talk up guys from small schools (or who have added weight), breathlessly telling us that this or that guy has solidified their place in the first round... only to see them mysteriously slide on draft day- likely sliding back to their previous ranking.

So don't get oversold on one week of guys playing in shorts... and not tackling to the ground. It's a beauty pageant, not a football game.

Well... I'm looking for a specific kind of back, and this is why I disagree with brother Largo. He and I are looking for different skill sets. I hope that the Dolphins will draft a back who can realistically play on any of the three downs; he'll have to run tough, catch passes, and be able to pass block a bit.

Largo loves the home run ball and wants a guy who has deep speed and the ability to take it to the house on any play. I don't think either of us is wrong really... Spears would be a great weapon; he's just not the weapon that I believe our offense needs with Tua as QB, and Hill and Waddle already on the team.

So I'm not looking too closely at guys like Spears, Ibrahim, or Achane... Instead I'm looking for a guy who might fall to us (so no Bijan Robinson), but who have shown they have sure hands and the ability to pick up a blitz before flaring out as an outlet receiver. Jahmyr Gibbs is an elite receiver and runner but might not be the pass blocker I'm looking for, but God does he ever look like Alvin Kamara (I wish he were a little bigger). I also have my doubts that he falls to us, but I'd take him if he does... I think there are only two elite prospects in this draft, so I'd certainly take him even though I wish he carried 10-15 more pounds.

Charbonnet, therefore is first on my list of guys who could/should fall to us. He checks all of my boxes and could easily catch a pass or pick up third and short. He does not have elite speed (thus, not a Largo back). I do think that he's exactly the type of back that our offense lacks.
Tank Bigsby might be second on my list, though he's rarely mentioned here at FH. Downside, Auburn didn't use him in the passing game enough to get a real read on his ability there. I think he could be the guy eventually, but maybe not from day one. I do like the fact that he's a one cut runner; this should work well in a zone-blocking system.

So I guess that's three with Gibbs, but this year there are a lot of other guys who I think would fit-- and who could be had very cheaply. Miller, McIntosh, Abanikanda... even Hull could be solid contributors in our offense, so I don't necessarily think we have to reach for a back. I think we could trade down from the third round and find a decent back on the third day. Even Spears... if we can't resign Mostert.
Great write up! Thank you for the analysis.
Mostert (if we bring him back) has plenty of speed. Wilson seemed to make tough runs. But I’m not sure we bring them both back.

Charbonnet could be a nice young hammer at a rookie price.

Great write up! Thank you for the analysis.
Mostert (if we bring him back) has plenty of speed. Wilson seemed to make tough runs. But I’m not sure we bring them both back.

Charbonnet could be a nice young hammer at a rookie price.
The downside to taking Charbonnet (or a TE, as many prefer) is that I think we need more help on the Defense, than we do on the Offense.
I'm going to stand on this hill... LB Drew Sanders is my #1 want this year. We have spent years talking about how our LBs don't get it done... while running Raekwon McMillan, and then Elandon Roberts out there and pretending they are modern LBs.
We finally took a shot last year with the addition of Tindall, a player who everyone said was not going to be ready on year one. He may become what we hope for, but he may not... and we know damned well that Roberts is worthless on anything but a run between the tackles.
Maybe Jack Campbell is the guy... but geez do we ever need a real MLB, and not another two-down grunt.

The downside to taking Charbonnet (or a TE, as many prefer) is that I think we need more help on the Defense, than we do on the Offense.
I'm going to stand on this hill... LB Drew Sanders is my #1 want this year. We have spent years talking about how our LBs don't get it done... while running Raekwon McMillan, and then Elandon Roberts out there and pretending they are modern LBs.
We finally took a shot last year with the addition of Tindall, a player who everyone said was not going to be ready on year one. He may become what we hope for, but he may not... and we know damned well that Roberts is worthless on anything but a run between the tackles.
Maybe Jack Campbell is the guy... but geez do we ever need a real MLB, and not another two-down grunt.
If Miami brings back both Mostert and Wilson, I'd look running back later. As in after round three. Unless someone too good to pass up drops.

The reasoning being exactly what you stated. I feel Miami also needs a corner and a safety type to replace Rowe.

Tight end is a question mark. I'd probably go early there because I simply don't know what Miami has in Long, Conner etc. Smythe is fine for what he does.

I also like this class of tight ends.

If Miami brings back both Mostert and Wilson, I'd look running back later. As in after round three. Unless someone too good to pass up drops.

The reasoning being exactly what you stated. I feel Miami also needs a corner and a safety type to replace Rowe.

Tight end is a question mark. I'd probably go early there because I simply don't know what Miami has in Long, Conner etc. Smythe is fine for what he does.

I also like this class of tight ends.
Pretty much agree on the positions you cited, and fortunately for us, most of the positions we need seem to have deep pools this year... with the sad exception of ILB. That pool is more of a puddle.
We might take a later shot on a guy like Sirvocea Dennis and hope for the best, but the only first day starters I see are Sanders and Campbell... Sewell might work, but I still see him as more of a Strong side edge setter type.
I guess we could go Free Agency, but money is tight and I'm thinking that we'd just resign Robert's again... sigh.

I think I've mentioned this to you before, so sorry if it is repetitive, but since we are looking for a block-first type of TE, I think we might see value in the early third day. Usually the blocking TEs are not highly drafted, and in a deep class... we could wait a bit, just like with the RBs.

Pretty much agree on the positions you cited, and fortunately for us, most of the positions we need seem to have deep pools this year... with the sad exception of ILB. That pool is more of a puddle.
We might take a later shot on a guy like Sirvocea Dennis and hope for the best, but the only first day starters I see are Sanders and Campbell... Sewell might work, but I still see him as more of a Strong side edge setter type.
I guess we could go Free Agency, but money is tight and I'm thinking that we'd just resign Robert's again... sigh.

I think I've mentioned this to you before, so sorry if it is repetitive, but since we are looking for a block-first type of TE, I think we might see value in the early third day. Usually the blocking TEs are not highly drafted, and in a deep class... we could wait a bit, just like with the RBs.
Good points. I like Campbell, but I think a corner at 51 would make more sense. I'm also not sure he's a three down player. I think he covers well in short range, which seems to fit what we're hearing about Fangio's defense.

But this is a really exciting group of corners. All things being equal, that's where I'd spend the 51st pick. Love Sanders, but see him projected mostly in the 1st round now.

If the tight end Washington falls that would be interesting. He's definitely block first so getting to 51 wouldn't necessarily be a big surprise. The Cincinnati tight end is very interesting. I think he could go in the 4th/5th round range. Again, a block first guy but some untapped potential there IMO.

Brisby is a RB you mentioned that I kind of forgot about. He can break tackles and get yards on his own. Maybe he drops because of lack of reps/experience in the passing game.

Last edited:
Our LBs will have to cover under Fangio. That is not Roberts and that is not Sanders. That is Tindall. It is also Daiyan Henley.

Largo loves the home run ball and wants a guy who has deep speed and the ability to take it to the house on any play.

I want explosive backs which means, they must jump 160" or higher in broad plus vertical jump. I am not concerned much about 40 dash, if at all. In addition, I prefer a back with weight to height ratio of 3.10 and higher.
Mostert tested at 40" vertical and 130" broad, which puts him way over my benchmark. He is light, his weight to height ratio is 2.93, but that is okay since SF offense is fine with that. Nonetheless, I prefer a thumper body but with explosiveness of a track star.

Nonetheless, I prefer a thumper body but with explosiveness of a track star.
How many guys qualify under those terms?

Hell, how many NFL starters right now do?

Derrick Henry, McCaffery(not really a thumper but he runs hard)Barkley(hurt too much)Kenny Walker III.

I don't see too many guys like you are describing.

How many guys qualify under those terms?

Hell, how many NFL starters right now do?

Derrick Henry, McCaffery(not really a thumper but he runs hard)Barkley(hurt too much)Kenny Walker III.

I don't see too many guys like you are describing.
That's right.

I wanted Jack Sanborn last year. Took him in all my mocks.

Our LBs will have to cover under Fangio. That is not Roberts and that is not Sanders. That is Tindall. It is also Daiyan Henley.
Sanders, to me, just looks like a weapon. When I've watched his film, you could see that his coaches were lining him up all over the place. I saw sacks from the edge, as well as some when he was lined up in a 6-1 as the ONLY LB.
Yes, he might not cover well... yet, but with his speed and lateral agility, I think he can.

But honestly, I doubt that we'll get a chance at him. I think he goes in the top part of the second.

Give me speed at running back and good hands. All the subjective "vision" can be thrown out the window. Give me speed at the RB position and let it ride.

Back
Top Bottom