Senior Bowl Review Notes | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Senior Bowl Review Notes

Whats the view on Richie Grant and his stellar play during senior bowl week?

I think he's a good safety prospect and he no doubt really helped himself being asked to come down during the week and play corner because of a shortage, and he did it just fine.
Where do you see him being drafted?

Barón Browning isn to me exactly the kind of kid you take a punt on to be a better pro than college player.

Have to look at Stevenson more but the little I've seen is impressive. Michael Carter is incredible in the way he sees lanes and gets skinny. Terrific footwork. He's maybe a little similar to what we have in Ahmed and Gaskin, but for my money a higher ceiling guy.

Barón Browning isn to me exactly the kind of kid you take a punt on to be a better pro than college player.

Have to look at Stevenson more but the little I've seen is impressive. Michael Carter is incredible in the way he sees lanes and gets skinny. Terrific footwork. He's maybe a little similar to what we have in Ahmed and Gaskin, but for my money a higher ceiling guy.

Agreed on Browning. I’ve watched every down he’s ever played in college and he has zero instincts or feel for the game. Werner is twice the player and a better athlete.

If Miami misses on Harris and Williams, I think Stevenson would be a great fit.

Love Carter, but I agree he is similar to what the Dolphins already have at running back.

It seems to me that the 'draft positional value' concept is a bit over blown. As a fan of the draft, its easy for me to fall into the slotting concepts. For example, 'this player or position is a good value at 36, but a reach at 18'. But reality is that the draft is just a tool you're using to build a team. A team is made up of parts that complement and work together to be more than the sum of their parts. That's the ultimate goal. I recall when Miami traded down and passed on the chance to draft Earl Thomas and instead took Odrick and Misi. In terms of positional value, that was probably the right move. Safety has low positional value compared to DL and a LB just made it 2 for 1. But IMO S is a much higher impact position than the NFL draft values it at. In terms of team building it was obviously a poor decision. Reality is that a great player is almost always a great pick regardless of positional value.

I look back at the some of the great teams of the past and present and I don't generally recall if some of these great picks were made a round early or a round late.

I can certainly see your point with D Smith because he offers Tua more than just route running and good hands. He'll help Tua a lot off the field.

I mean if NEED and FIT weren't a thing then I might very well run up to the podium with a card that says Kyle Pitts at #3 overall. He's a special player and I'd probably forecast 50/50, at least, that he's a future Hall of Famer.

But I do respect the effort toward team-building, that it really isn't as simple as picking the best player in a vacuum.
I think if you REALLY knew it's 50-50 that Pitts was a future legitimate HOF'er, and you have your franchise qb, then you take him at #3, need or positional value be damned. Heck I'd take the 50-50 HOF'er at any position other than P or K or maybe OG, at #1, again if you have your franchise qb already.

But history shows that i't so hard to really know BPA in the draft. That includes HOF coaches, GM's and owners, great scouts, the best mock drafters, and very highly knowledgeable Fin Heaven posters. My draft big picture view is you (mostly) know your needs. You mostly know positional value. BPA? nobody knows that well.

Back
Top Bottom