Senior Bowl Review Notes | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Senior Bowl Review Notes

Senior Bowl Review Notes

Arrow-Up:

QB Kellen Mond, Texas A&M
- Good game performance. Matt Rhule spoke very highly of his intellect, recall.
QB Mac Jones, Alabama - Voted best QB on his squad in practices.
RB Michael Carter, North Carolina - Good practices and good game performance. Voted best RB on his squad.
RB Rhamondre Stevens, Oklahoma - Route running and pass catching was surprisingly good, professional quality.
TE Kenny Yeboah, Ole Miss - Nice showing in game. On practice tape you could really see his basketball-like qualities.
WR D'Wayne Eskridge, W. Michigan - Virtually un-coverable. Speed, one-cut head & shoulders above.
WR Amari Rodgers, Clemson - Perfect blend for slot. Note 5094 & 211 lbs. measure. Plays to that, but plus speed, quicks.
WR Austin Watkins, UAB - Physical, strongest hands in Mobile. The smooth gait, cutting, easy separation were a revelation.
WR Demetric Felton, UCLA - Big time speed, quickness. Physicality of a former RB. If he learns to cut wasted movement...
WR Dez Fitzpatrick, Louisville - Combo of length (6'2") and quickness. Gets open. Did well in game.
WR Nico Collins, Michigan - Plays big, smooth, athletic, professional. Didn't play in 2020, so this was important.
OL Dillon Radunz, NDSU - Voted best player in Mobile. We knew A+ mobility, but couldn't know strength. Now we do.
OL Quinn Meinerz, UWW - Big splash. Mauled people, but moves, carries 320 lbs. well. Voted best OL on squad.
OL Spencer Brown, UNI - Showed combo 6'8.5" length, 315 lbs. heft, great knee bend, good mobility. Rare.
OL David Moore, Grambling - The power on Grambling tape looks same vs. Top talent. Voted best OL on his squad.
OG Aaron Banks, Notre Dame - Was the best OG in Mobile this week. He might've leapfrogged Trey Smith.
OL Robert Hainsey, Notre Dame - Took snaps everywhere except LT. Always looked in control. Teams love that versatility.
OL Jack Anderson, Texas Tech - Is a Guard but took a ton of snaps at Center, did well. That will bump his stock.
OL D'Ante Smith, East Carolina - Didn't play in 2020. Showed combo length, mobility, strength. Fit in. This helped him.
DE Cam Sample, Tulane - Best pass rusher either squad at 274 lbs. Used at 3-tech, even 1-tech. Voted best DL on squad.
DL Osa Odighizuwa, UCLA - Great frame at 280 lbs., 7'0" wing. Miami used him at 1-tech, all over. Voted best DL on squad.
OLB Daelin Hayes, Notre Dame - Good hands, 2nd most consistent pass rusher in Mobile.
DE Elerson Smith, UNI - Looks like Jason Taylor. Came from FCS and was one of the best. Big impact in game itself.
DE Quincy Roche, Miami - One of few consistent pass rushers Mobile. Stock was heading lower and he stabilized it.
DE Ade Ogundeji, Notre Dame - Ideal length that showed up consistently in practice as tough for OLs to stick to.
DE Janarius Robinson, FSU - Got better as the week wore on, peaking w/ a good game performance. Titanic length.
LB K.J. Britt, Auburn - Was all over the place during the game. Great passion. Voted best LB on his squad.
CB Tre Brown, Oklahoma - Virtually unassailable in coverage drills. Really head & shoulders above.
CB Keith Taylor, Washington - Very good in drills during practice week, and strong game performance.
DS Richie Grant, Central Florida - Forced to play CB and did well. Strong presence, coaches very impressed.
CB Aaron Robinson, Central Florida - Was one of the few CBs who seemed to know what he was doing in drills. Noticeable.
DS Christian Uphoff, Illinois State - Voted best DS on his squad. That's a big deal coming from FCS.
DS Damar Hamlin, Pitt - Coaches seemed to really take note of him. Good combo of length and hips.
CB D.J. Daniel, Georgia - Voted by the WRs as the best CB on his squad over Aaron Robinson, which is notable.

Maintained Standing:

QB Ian Book, Notre Dame
- Voted best QB on his squad in practices, but more by default, IMO. Bad competition
RB Kylin Hill, Mississippi State - Voted best RB on his squad in practices. Not sure there was anything new, though.
TE Tre' McKitty, Georgia - Voted best TE on his squad in practices. Showed some athleticism. But he had standing already.
TE Hunter Long, Boston College - Voted best TE on his squad and showed competency, for what he is.
WR Kadarius Toney, Florida - Voted best WR on his squad in practices. I saw no new pieces to the puzzle.
OL Alex Leatherwood, Alabama - He met high expectations. But I don't think he improved his standing. Radunz was better.
OC Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma - Showed expected strengths, limitations. Played well at OG, but Meinerz out-shone him at OC.
OG Trey Smith, Tennessee - Will still be highly regarded, but honestly didn't kill it during the week. Banks was better.
OT James Hudson, Cincinnati - Showed his athletic package, but started to get beat as week wore on. Missed opportunity.
OC Drake Jackson, Kentucky - Career OC, lots of experience, predictably solid at OC in Mobile. But struggled when moved to OG.
DT Levi Onwuzurike, Washington - Only one day, but still the least blockable DT in Mobile. That's only good enough to hold serve.
DL Carlos Basham, Wake Forest - Forced to move inside more, and did a fair job, but not better than you'd have figured.
DT Marvin Wilson, Florida State - Looked tough to handle at times, but showed nothing new. Seemed an exclusive 1-tech.
DL Chauncey Golston, Wake Forest - Good length, but we already knew that. Moved inside a lot, but was only passing fair.
DL Payton Turner, Indiana - Physically very impressive, but that was a known. Was mostly a 3-tech this week, and only passing fair at that.
DE Rashad Weaver, Pitt - Really up-and-down, forced to play inside a lot, not built for that but he did it. No real new info, tho.
DE William Bradley-King, Baylor - Technically impressive, helped him show out early, but leveled off as OLs caught up to him.
LB Baron Browning, Ohio State - Won at weigh-in, good game, solid practice, but was tried at pass rush, sucked. So nothing new.
LB Tony Fields, West Virginia - Voted by teammates best LB on his squad, but he really lost at the weigh-in. Small, bad length.
LB Hamilcar Rashed, Oregon State - Not allowed to do much in pass rush, which is his specialty. Did alright when allowed, tho.

Any thoughts on Melifonwu? Maybe a bit raw but impressive looking traits and Flo loves his DBs.

Raekwon McMillan was supposed to be much better than Jerome Baker, too.

No he really wasn’t. McMillan at one time was Ohio State’s highest rated recruit ever. He never lived up to that. Baker was at his best in big games. Baker was a playmaker while McMillan was a hammer.

One of the hardest laughs I've had recently was when me and coach Nitty were watching the national championship game and during the 3rd quarter he legitimately asked why the punter (#20) was on the field. It was so hilarious because it's absolutely true. He looks like the punter. Secondly, it was the first anybody noticed him on the field on defense the entire game - first play of the 3rd quarter when Smitty got hurt. I don't know why it never crossed my mind before as much film as I've watched of Ohio St.'s linebackers.

Punt Werner.

Good player that I've never seen do anything better than Browning, but does his job. Browning is more likely to force the action, but also make a mistake. Werner is just kinda there to do his job and won't make a mistake trying to do someone else's. It really just depends on which type you already have and which one you need.

One of the hardest laughs I've had recently was when me and coach Nitty were watching the national championship game and during the 3rd quarter he legitimately asked why the punter (#20) was on the field. It was so hilarious because it's absolutely true. He looks like the punter. Secondly, it was the first anybody noticed him on the field on defense the entire game - first play of the 3rd quarter when Smitty got hurt. I don't know why it never crossed my mind before as much film as I've watched of Ohio St.'s linebackers.

Punt Werner.

Good player that I've never seen do anything better than Browning, but does his job. Browning is more likely to force the action, but also make a mistake. Werner is just kinda there to do his job and won't make a mistake trying to do someone else's. It really just depends on which type you already have and which one you need.

I wouldn't mind either at #50 to play 4-3 SAM or 3-4 Mack next to Baker.

Levi Onwuzurike at 18 is super rich for me. I need to watch more Radunz. The athlete is absolutely intriguing, but small-school olinemen almost always take an extra year or two to develop - even when they end up being really good in the pros. Different circumstances, but for similar reasons, I had Austin Jackson as more of a Top 40 guy than a Top 20. I'd want a Top 20 olinemen to play at an averageish level Day 1. I thought I was really high on Harris until people started wanting him at 18. He's great, but he's also not a guy that's going to create a ton of chunk plays, and I wouldn't consider many RB's that early. It's around where I had guys like McCaffrey and Barkley, and Harris is a couple tiers below them imo. If we combined the last two classes, I'd have Taylor and Etienne comfortably ahead of him, and I'd also rate Dobbins and Akers higher. Swift and Dillon are close, but I'd take Harris over Edwards-Helaire. I had all those guys in the 41-75 range, with the possible exception of Etienne, who I could bump into my Top 40.

With the exceptions of some players I need to give a better look (like Radunz), you're about a draft slot higher than I am on the guys you've listed at 18, 36, and 50. Once you get to 82, I'm nodding along with most everyone. I'd also throw in Khalil Herbert, who I think is underrated. Don't know how he looked at the Senior Bowl, but he breaks tackles, and he's fast enough.

Of course, I could just be too low on them, but, particularly at WR, TE, OL, and Safety, I think 2021 boasts a really strong group of underclassmen - QB, too, but we won't go there.
I don't understand the love for Helaire. Just about every running back taken after him last year is more impressive. Helaire is short (which really doesn't bother me all that much) and slow as hell. I don't see a much better prospect in Helaire as say someone like Karim Abdul-Jabbar. Helaire wasn't even impressive catching the ball. Something he was touted for as a prospect coming out of college. I hate the idea of Miami taking a running back in the first round and I think there are many of them that are much better prospects this year than Helaire was.

I think Browning will go right before our pick and while it'd be a 10-11 pick reach I have Werner as my next SAM prospect.

Barón Browning isn to me exactly the kind of kid you take a punt on to be a better pro than college player.

Have to look at Stevenson more but the little I've seen is impressive. Michael Carter is incredible in the way he sees lanes and gets skinny. Terrific footwork. He's maybe a little similar to what we have in Ahmed and Gaskin, but for my money a higher ceiling guy.
Wouldn't surprise me at all if we see Carter as a Dolphin. He reminds me of that RB White in NE(not super big, not super fast, but just gets yards effortlessly) and I read somewhere that Flores liked him at the Sr Bowl.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if we see Carter as a Dolphin. He reminds me of that RB White in NE(not super big, not super fast, but just gets yards effortlessly) and I read somewhere that Flores liked him at the Sr Bowl.

I know this coaching staff looks for exactly the kind of player Michael Carter is.

Carter catches the ball better than his teammate Williams.

I like both the UNC kids and would be happy with either of them, hell, why not both?

Carter at 82 would be ok. I’d be like meh
I like him. I'd say he's an upgrade over Gaskin, but I'd be looking for a power back. Harris, Williams, Stevenson would be on my radar at various rounds in the draft.

Put me down for a power back as well... we have smallish backs now, several of them. We need a thumper to add to what we have.

I wouldn't worry to much about the size of the back. The only one to have a spot guaranteed next year is Gaskin and he isnt anything special. Any of the top 5 backs i would be ok eith but Gainwell is the most dynamic

Back
Top Bottom