Separation vs Route Running? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Separation vs Route Running?

foozool13

#12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Can someone help understand the difference with route running and creating separation for WRs? Don’t they go hand in hand? I kind of always put them together, but I’m seeing a lot info where the two are separate categories. Would love it if someone in the know can help me understand the nuances a bit better.

The goal of route running is to separate. I like to think about separation in four different areas of the route.

1) on the release, line of scrimmage
2) with straight line speed and acceleration after the release whether contested or free
3) at the stem, getting in and out of breaks
4) at the catch point

I think sometimes people talk about separation at the catch point as a separate category since it implies that you haven’t been able to separate up to the point.

Thats how I think about it at least

It depends on who is using the terms and how they're using them, but, to me, route running encompasses timing, getting to your spots, creating windows with leverage, and creating separation when the receiver should expect the ball.

Separation is the ability to get away from defenders. So, separation is a part of route running. Think of a guy like Tyreek Hill. No one could ever stay with him, but he grew into a player that really made that matter, because he developed the other aspects of his game as a route runner.

J-off puts it well.

Basically how you know they're not the same is that logically you could be a good route runner and not get separation or get separation without being a good route runner.

I could run a perfect route, but as a nearly 50-year old bloke, wouldn't get much separation! Usain Bolt could get separation without having a clue about route running.

Your definition of good route running could expand to include by default getting separation, in which case I'm out of a job.

But getting separation needn't have anything to do with route running and often doesn't. You could be a simple vertical speedster and blow by DBs on the majority of your run "routes" (a la Anthony Schwartz). You could juke a defender out if his shoes while not necessarily running a great route (a la Tutu Atwell) and you could muscle a DB into the dirt at the jam and take off unhindered (a la Sage Surratt).

Last edited:
Can someone help understand the difference with route running and creating separation for WRs? Don’t they go hand in hand? I kind of always put them together, but I’m seeing a lot info where the two are separate categories. Would love it if someone in the know can help me understand the nuances a bit better.
I really like justdev7's description. I so often see separation described with no distinction. I think most just stats like nextgen, etc. just look at the catch point. That's where I see a distinction between a prospect like Waddle and one like Smith. If you just measure at the catch point then Waddle will be the best at getting separation. He is ridiculously fast and can just run away from almost everybody in college. But in the pros, CBs are faster so that advantage is less stark. And zones and technique can limit that some. I'm still a big fan but he gets his separation through speed more than route running. His separation is not as consistent at all the points in the route. I find that good route runners are the ones who can translate that separation from college to pros most consistently. Certainly more consistently than the guys who rely on physical traits like speed or size/strength.

Smith is far better at getting immediate separation off the line. He is explosive off the line and has long arms and technique that negates press incredibly well. In college, teams tried to press him b/c they thought they could bully him b/c he looked thin and then they stopped b/c he was destroying press. IMO that's exactly what our offense lacks (except for Grant, if he only had better hands). If your WR gets immediate separation and catches the ball and you have a QB that gets the ball out quickly and accurately, then it's practically an unstoppable play. It doesn't matter if your pass pro is weak b/c the ball is gone before a pass rush can be a factor. This is the element of Smith's game that I see as above either Waddle or Chase (actually, head and shoulders above Chase at getting immediate separation).

Waddle is easily the best at getting separation through just straight line speed.

I have all three as fairly equal at getting separation out of their breaks. They don't all do it the same way, but they're all effective.

Chase and Smith are both excellent at contested catches. They also do that in different ways. Chase uses his strength. His game there reminds me of Boldin, actually. Smith uses framing and long arms. He uses his elbows like shock absorbers to negate or minimize those trying to push him around. And his long arms give him a large catch radius (about what you'd expect from a 6'6" WR). That part of his game is reminiscent of Randy Moss for me. Waddle is a step below at contested catches, but still good. He's better than a guy like Ruggs was. He's aggressive going for the ball, but he lacks Chase's strength or Smith technique and length.

Separation means creating separation at all parts of the route, at the get off, at the stem with speed, at the cut with quickness. From the get go you have separation all the way to the catch. It does not matter where you run.
Route running just means running precise stems and cuts in reference to the football field, where you need to run and be for the called play. It says nothing about separation.

The best route runners are the guys who do not lose much speed when making their cuts.

This usually leads to separation so the two things generally go hand in hand.

There are poor route runners who can gain separation with pure speed but it is usually the quick guys and the technicians who run the best routes.

There is also a difference in being able to create space in the short area(meaning quickly)vs doing it further downfield(more pure speed).

The Fins need both as their pass catchers are all bigger guys who are good physical competitors for the ball but none of them are quick.

Back
Top Bottom