Serious ask for discussion about X | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Serious ask for discussion about X

The Dolphins played it perfectly. He did start off asking for insane money and the Dolphins said "No". He whined a bit, threatened a bit, then realized he had no leverage. The Dolphins kept it classy and then threw him a small bone to appease him and let him come back saying that it was what he wanted all along.
What were his contract demands starting off?

A link would be a preferable addition because I can't find anything to corroborate this claim.

IF anyone in this thread or an the forum for that matter have ever asked for a raise while working, during a hiring negotiation, or left a job for higher pay you should probably sit this one out if you're against X.

I have no problems with X asking for more money when we all know he is one of the top players in the entire NFL. People want to be paid what their worth.

Take me for example. I worked at the same job for 6 years, the owners always telling me someday this company will be yours. Well, 6 years in and the owners had never given me a raise. I had gone in twice in the last 6 months and this would be the last time I asked for a raise. Once again, they told me the company didn't have enough money. Meanwhile company profits were up 45% and the owner was building himself a new home on Lake Minnetonka. That was the last straw. The next day I went into the owners office with a resignation letter. They were shocked. Couldn't imagine I would waste the opportunity I was being given. Well, it's 6 years later, I own my own business and I've taken most of the customers we had together. The rest are on their way. My advice, you do you and don't worry about another man's money. It's really none of your business.

Man a lot of you are just straight up oblivious. It is not what he wanted, it is how he went about it that made a lot of us angry. Get it straight.

Man a lot of you are just straight up oblivious. It is not what he wanted, it is how he went about it that made a lot of us angry. Get it straight.

Please tell us all how X showing up to camp, asking for a deserved raise, not causing a locker room ruckus while obviously being supported by his teammates as Tua even said he supported what X was doing...hurt you're feelings as a fan. Those are the important things to remember. Not that he got to camp with plenty of time to train for the opener, balled out in the first game, and his lockdown coverage and forced fumble were a huge part of the Fins win.

Because I'm pretty sure from what I've read and heard on podcasts, X fired his first agent because he couldn't get anything new done with the Fins. He hired his new agent who tried to do things behind the scenes and the Fins told him to piss of. That's when the negotiations went public. Some of us thought X could get traded, if he didn't get a raise, because of his agents past dealing with the Fins. However, most of us thought the FO would cave and X would remain. Turns out X was right. His first agent was a shitty one and his new one is better and got him that raise he deserved. Can't fault a player for getting the best of a FO when 9 times of of 10 it is the other way around

Is...this the mañana in which you were going to address what exactly he did aside from the statement released by his agent?

Is...this the mañana in which you were going to address what exactly he did aside from the statement released by his agent?
Slipped my mind to be honest. I'll get back to this tomorrow, have people over for the game tonight.

Holding out on training camp. Claiming injuries the first day and on. Releasing info about claims of demands. You know stuff people of good character do.
Point by point:

1) He didn't hold out. The CBA makes that staggeringly unprofitable. Next?

2) I'm curious. Who reported those injuries? Next?

3) The release was a burr for me. I didn't like it. But, as I said repeatedly...the new agent had a very specific interest in getting X more money.
Alrighty.

1. Sorry, meant minicamp which he sat out the entirety of, absorbing fines. https://www.nfl.com/news/dolphins-c...-expect-cb-xavien-howard-at-minicamp-it-s-pre
2. Who reported them? Everyone. It was an undisclosed injury from the first day of TC. https://miami.cbslocal.com/2021/07/30/dolphins-camp-cornerback-xavien-howard-practice/
3. He actually made the press release on the first day of TC.

So to summarize here. X and agent go into negotiations with MD to modify existing contract prior to minicamp. Dolphins, with no reason to modify the contract as it was just signed two years prior, stand firm. Howard, being the standup gentleman he is skips the entirety of minicamp as a middle finger to the ongoing negotiations. Through multiple subversive outlets lets it be known how frustrated he is with his contract. Opening day of TC he reports, claims an undisclosed injury and does not practice. That evening he releases the infamous press release in which he calls out the team for not negotiating in good faith, his own teammate Jones for being worse than he is but having a better contract and states he is acting as a professional while requesting a trade from the Dolphins. Afterwards, he skips multiple days of TC with said undisclosed injury while Flores states they are actively working on the contract. Early August, everything is wrapped up hunky dory, Howard remains a Dolphin, yay!

Is any of that incorrect from your standpoint? I don't like to get in the weeds of what was negotiated because none of it can be proven, so I tend to stay away from that argument of X claimed he wanted this while MD wanted this, cant prove either side, so kind of pointless.

Secondly, the Dolphins also stated that they would be willing to negotiate his contract at the end of the year if certain metrics are reached. So basically, we have a player who every year we are going to have to negotiate with based on his performance, does that sound feasible to you? What is the point of a contract then? In the 3 years he has been on a 4 year contract, the two parties will have modified the terms twice.

Opinion time:

I am on record saying we should modify his contract prior to his temper tantrum. That was until his stupid F'n press release where he lost all credibility in my eyes.

I mean other players in general. I get what you mean though, no one likes greedy players and I'm not convinced we have those. Howard played well even with his extension and he did have kind of a sh*try guaranteed deal which if we played right could be restructured better for both parties moving forward.

In the end, am I happy X is still a Dolphin, of course, guy is an amazing player and it is fantastic Grier and Flores were able to work this out to keep him. Do I think he has any character or would put the team before himself should the situation arise? Absolutely fvcking not. He is a me first guy, and always will be. Some people are cool with that, some arent. Neither are wrong.

Alrighty.

1. Sorry, meant minicamp which he sat out the entirety of, absorbing fines. https://www.nfl.com/news/dolphins-c...-expect-cb-xavien-howard-at-minicamp-it-s-pre
2. Who reported them? Everyone. It was an undisclosed injury from the first day of TC. https://miami.cbslocal.com/2021/07/30/dolphins-camp-cornerback-xavien-howard-practice/

So to summarize here. X and agent go into negotiations with MD to modify existing contract prior to minicamp. Dolphins, with no reason to modify the contract as it was just signed two years prior, stand firm. Howard, being the standup gentleman he is skips the entirety of minicamp as a middle finger to the ongoing negotiations. Through multiple subversive outlets lets it be known how frustrated he is with his contract. Opening day of TC he reports, claims an undisclosed injury and does not practice. That evening he releases the infamous press release in which he calls out the team for not negotiating in good faith, his own teammate Jones for being worse than he is but having a better contract and states he is acting as a professional while requesting a trade from the Dolphins. Afterwards, he skips multiple days of TC with said undisclosed injury while Flores states they are actively working on the contract. Early August, everything is wrapped up hunky dory, Howard remains a Dolphin, yay!

Is any of that incorrect from your standpoint? I don't like to get in the weeds of what was negotiated because none of it can be proven, so I tend to stay away from that argument of X claimed he wanted this while MD wanted this, cant prove either side, so kind of pointless.

Secondly, the Dolphins also stated that they would be willing to negotiate his contract at the end of the year if certain metrics are reached. So basically, we have a player who every year we are going to have to negotiate with based on his performance, does that sound feasible to you? What is the point of a contract then? In the 3 years he has been on a 4 year contract, the two parties will have modified the terms twice.

Opinion time:

I am on record saying we should modify his contract prior to his temper tantrum. That was until his stupid F'n press release where he lost all credibility in my eyes.

In the end, am I happy X is still a Dolphin, of course, guy is an amazing player and it is fantastic Grier and Flores were able to work this out to keep him. Do I think he has any character or would put the team before himself should the situation arise? Absolutely fvcking not. He is a me first guy, and always will be. Some people are cool with that, some arent. Neither are wrong.
A “me first” guy doesn’t stick his nose into a pile and rip a ball out.

Cam Newton quit on the SB when he refused to dive on his own fumble, down by 6, on his own 5 yard line. That’s a me first guy.

Alrighty.

Opinion time:

I stopped reading as soon as you typed "middle finger," You are incapable of objectivity.

I stopped reading as soon as you typed "middle finger," You are incapable of objectivity.
Not even sure why I waste my time with you to be honest. But whatever man, have a good evening.

Not even sure why I waste my time with you to be honest. But whatever man, have a good evening.

The feeling is completely mutual. There are a handful of posters who IMMEDIATELY raise a red flag as being staggeringly negative with ANYTHING they post.

You're one.

Have an utterly spectacular day...or whatever.

I think he proved on Sunday why you pay your stars the money and forget about all the other BS

Back
Top Bottom