Setting Reasonable Expectations for the Top Rookie Quarterbacks in 2020 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Setting Reasonable Expectations for the Top Rookie Quarterbacks in 2020

Finfan83nj

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Tua Tagovailoa
6 starts, 1,500 passing yards, 8-10 touchdowns, fewer than 5 interceptions

For Tagovailoa, I’m looking at something more closely mirroring Colin Kaepernick’s 2012 season, in which he took over as a full-time starter for Alex Smith and ran with an evolving offense more tailored to his skill set. Hiring Chan Gailey as offensive coordinator would seem to be a move that both benefits Ryan Fitzpatrick in the short term (especially with an evaporated offseason) and gives Gailey time to work with Tagovailoa during the season to implement phase two of the offense. I think it’s simply unrealistic for people to expect Tagovailoa to win the job out of camp, even if he did get a medical clearance.

In the long run this is to the Dolphins’ benefit. Their bye week (11) is a great transition point and could get Tagovailoa off the ground with a road game against the Jets and a home game against the equally uncertain Bengals. If you were already this committed to a systematic roster teardown and were lucky enough to have Tagovailoa gifted in your lap five picks deep in the draft, why chance fate by starting him sooner than needed? Most teams do not have the luxury of this elongated QB handoff, but if the structure is in place and ownership is prepared to be patient, it’s foolish not to seize the opportunity.

I think he could have more starts really, just comes down to how things go with Fitz, and Tuas development.

Barring injury I think he sits until Fitz cannot be an effective qb leading a team to the playoffs, I would take the under on any betting scenario that has to do with playing time or stats for Tua.

The way he was running dragging the weights, I can’t see him setting past week 4 to 6. I’ll be honest when he 1st got injured I thought he would drop out of the 1st round. After I seen him throwing before the draft I was ok at 5 but didn’t want to trade up for him. The talent is there and if he’s as healthy as he looks he can’t set to long behind a old average at best QB.

I’d like to see Tua vs Herbert week 7. I don’t think that will happen, but at the very least I do expect to see Tua vs Burrow week 13. I could see Tua coming in after the week 11 bye, so the numbers in the article are probably in the ball park.

Those are some pretty low expectations. I'm not saying they're unrealistically low, but I'm confident that the fans and media will expect more. But, judging how well he is adored, if he does have an 8 TD and 5 INT rookie season, most on this board will proclaim him the second coming of Drew Brees, and some will say he deserved at least the Pro-Bowl.

Personally, I want him HEALTHY. I want to fix our dang OL, and that seems very unlikely to happen in 2020. Last year we allowed the most sacks in the league, and had one of the very worst run blocking grades in the league as well. Yet, we finished with like the 12th best passing offense ... because of Fitzmagic (who also lead the dang team in running!). Take Fitz away ... and the atrocious OL really looks like a deathtrap for a rookie QB. Yes, we upgraded our RB's in Breida and Howard ... and all 3 drafted rookies can run block, so I'm hoping our running game is actually improved. And, if we play Ereck Flowers at guard, I'm confident he'll improve one guard spot's pass protection. Ditto for Ted Karras at C/G. And, I'm confident that our young players like Deiter, Isadora, Boehm (is he even still with us?) will improve with a year under their belts. Still, this OL isn't ready for prime time, and a rookie QB will suffer.

Given all we know now, it seems to be inevitable that the reins will be handed over to Tua at some point. I only pray that it comes when A) he is solidly healed up, and B) our OL has gelled. Wasting one non-playoff year at the risk of our QB for the next 15 years seems like a bad move, IMHO.

Barring injury I think he sits until Fitz cannot be an effective qb leading a team to the playoffs, I would take the under on any betting scenario that has to do with playing time or stats for Tua.
Fitz has never been an effective QB that can take his team to the playoffs. Ever! Therefore in your case Tua will be starting wk 1

One word - winning
Going on last year Flo wants to win and he found it with Fitz more than Rosen.
It will be the same this season between Fitz and Tua.
Although Digital makes some good points about the running game and especially bedding in the OL.
I wouldn't be keen to see Tua thrown in behind a mess like the OL was last season.
Bottom line if Fitz gets off to a good start then Tua will spend time on the bench although if Fitz reverts to form it won't be for the entire season.

One word - winning
Going on last year Flo wants to win and he found it with Fitz more than Rosen.
It will be the same this season between Fitz and Tua.
Although Digital makes some good points about the running game and especially bedding in the OL.
I wouldn't be keen to see Tua thrown in behind a mess like the OL was last season.
Bottom line if Fitz gets off to a good start then Tua will spend time on the bench although if Fitz reverts to form it won't be for the entire season.
So u think winning 5 to 6 games winning in nfl w Fitzpatrick.. if flores want have chance on being nfl coach long time.. he better put his faith in Tua. Roll w punch this yr. While expectation are low because 2021. The bar is going be set higher.

Fitz has never been an effective QB that can take his team to the playoffs. Ever! Therefore in your case Tua will be starting wk 1
I don’t live in the past, last two years that player has been playing well enough.

Back
Top Bottom