Shawn Andrws to have surgery | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Shawn Andrws to have surgery

JJ777

Practice Squad
Reaction score
For those who wanted Miami to take Andrews instead of Carey...interesting that they have Andrews at guard.

Andrews has surgery

I for one am glad we drafted Carey instead of Andrews and I was glad before I heard Andrews had to have surgery I just like Carey because all of those years he was at UM I liked him and he was a big part in both Portis and McGahee run blocking

JJ777 said:
For those who wanted Miami to take Andrews instead of Carey...interesting that they have Andrews at guard.

He's at guard because they already have Tra Thomas and Jon Runyan. They plan on moving him to RT next year after Runyan moves on.

I really wonder if this is why RS may have had Andrews behind Carey. There are two ways to look at this in my opinion:

Andrews may always have this problem, and it could make him less effective than he otherwise might be. Taking prednisone to combat polyps could also continue to cause weight issues in the future.

OR

Andrews has a problem that is going to be easily corrected by surgery. After that happens, he'll probably perfrom at a higher level than anyone has ever seen out of him.

What I wonder is which opinion has more medical weight behind it and whether perhaps the team doctors for the Eagles and Dolphins disagree about which one is more likely.

No guarentee that the surgery will be a success. Complications could happen and it is a risky deal. I hpope the kid is O.K. but I'm glad we have Vernon Carey, he's a beast that has been compared by Coach Wise to Nate Newton. That's good enough for me. If the Eagles want to trade Runyan they should call us.

Well, for this year, it is better that we have Carey...long term, he could be a better OL. But the polyp surgery is complicated but not serious....the recovery time is lengthy at least for him to get back to normal. I can't guess how long he will be out of practice, it depends on his pain threshold. The polyps can return in the future, but again it is not life-threatening serious, but it is a bothersome surgery for Andrews. Plus it will put him behind in pursuit of starting spot.

The surgery isn't complicated or serious, but Shawn will have to be treated medically on a long term basis to reduce the chances of recurrence. Chances are, Shawn will have to be on some form of a nasal or systemic steriod like prednisone for a long period of time. If this is what caused his weight gain, then his weight will fluctuate while on this drug. I have my doubts that prednisone is the reason he weighed in at 400 lbs when he went to Arizona to train for the draft. It will make you retain water, but not that much water. I do not think he went from 340 lbs to 400 lbs just because he was taking prednisone.

I have a history of nasal polyps. The surgery is minor, can be done in a doctor's office usually with a local anesthetic. It's not my favorite way to spend an afternoon though. An instument is inserted into the nasal passage that is essentially a fine wire noose. The doctor will loop it over the polyps one at a time and draw it tight to snip off the polyp. Then they cauterize the inside of the nasal passage. You hold a metal plate between your hands. An electrical current passes through your body. The doctor has the other terminal, which is an instrument he inserts into the nasal pasage where it touches the wall (where a polyp has been snipped off, it literally cooks the exposed flesh to stop the bleeding. The sizzling sound and smell of burnt flesh is delightful.

When a person has polyps, they tend to recur, for they are a complication of upper respioratory allergies. The inside of your nasal passages are just very sensitive and react to allergens by developing the polyps. He'll probably go on Flonase or some other steroid based nasal spray. Steroid based nasal sprays are well tolerated by most people and have few side effects. Because the medication is applied directly to the site of the problem, very low doses are used. It does not get into the system and is not a risk to your liver, kidneys or any of the things you worry about with prednisone, which is taken internally and is systemic. I was told I would have to take a steroid based nasal spray the rest of my life, but I should never have any kid of problems from it. I use Flonase regularly now and have no problems. I'm not bloated. My liver is not at risk. It doesn't affect may ability to exercise. Shawn Andrews will be fine and able to practice two days after his surgery, if not the next day.

Back
Top Bottom