Sheldon Rankins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sheldon Rankins

He has a really weird contract so I’m not sure how it would work. Basically, the Saints reworked his 5th year option and added two years of voidable options (in 2021 and 2022) at $2M a piece. If he leaves during FA this off-season the Saints are on the hook for that $4M and it will count as a $2M cap hit the next two seasons.

He has a really weird contract so I’m not sure how it would work. Basically, the Saints reworked his 5th year option and added two years of voidable options (in 2021 and 2022) at $2M a piece. If he leaves during FA this off-season the Saints are on the hook for that $4M and it will count as a $2M cap hit the next two seasons.
None of that seems like any money at all if he can play.

None of that seems like any money at all if he can play.
I mean he really isn’t a fit for what we need TBH. At 305 he is another 4-3 DT that would end up in rotation with Wilkins and Davis. The fact that the Saints haven’t really used him as a starter since 2018 is also kind of concerning.

I mean he really isn’t a fit for what we need TBH. At 305 he is another 4-3 DT that would end up in rotation with Wilkins and Davis. The fact that the Saints haven’t really used him as a starter since 2018 is also kind of concerning.
I wasn't weighing in on him as a player, as I know nothing about him.

I was just saying his contract looks like peanuts if he can play.

If he's healthy, he can play. Having that rotation would be great. Looking at player that can play that we can get cheap or for conditional picks that aren't going to be huge contracts. I think he's better than Godchaux...He would definitely fit if you need player that can play behind the LOS.

From an article: "2018 was the best and most productive season of Sheldon Rankins career thus far. Rankins finished with eight sacks, 12 tackles for loss, 40 total tackles and a forced fumble."

Depends on the value...not sure the Saints are looking to dump him. But I don't think he's in their future and they have traded away a bunch of picks to move up for players. And its worked out well for them. But we need bodies at DT and not all projects work out.

And this is not a "spending spree"...this is prudently adding productive players. He is 26 years old.

Back
Top Bottom