Shockey vs. McMichael | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Shockey vs. McMichael

DolphinzD

Boom!! How you like that??
Reaction score
There has been a lot written recently about which tight end was better, so I just decided to take a look at their stats next to each other:

Shockey:
YEAR G GS Rec Yds Avg Lg TD 40+
2002 15 14 74 894 12.1 30 2 0
2003 3 3 10 109 10.9 22 1 0
TOTAL 18 17 84 1003 11.9 30 3 0

McMichael:
YEAR G GS Rec Yds Avg Lg TD 40+
2002 16 16 39 485 12.4 45 4 1
2003 3 3 8 94 11.8 33 1 0
TOTAL 19 19 47 579 12.3 45 5 1

The main thing that prompted me to do this was some comments McMichael made saying that he was the best tight end in the league. Well, for sheer catches and yardage, Shockey has him beat. But if you look at what they actually do once they have the ball, McMichael has the advantage because he has a better yards-per-catch average, he has more touchdowns, and he has ripped off a 40+ yarder. So I guess it depends on what you're looking for.....Shockey is a bigger part of the Giants offense than McMichael is for the Dolphins, and after the first few games last year McMichael actually had better numbers. Then Fiedler got hurt and Lucas pretty much didn't throw to McMichael. So if Jay can stay healthy this year and the current pace keeps up, it will be interesting to see where the stats are at the end of the season.

Thoughts?

Well shoot, I tried to format the stats so they wouldn't be so jumbled, but they turned out hard to read anyway. Sorry about that.

Shockey is more of a power TE where McMichael is finesse. You also have to think about the fact that Shockey gets double teamed because he is more a focus of the Giant offense. Based on hands I would take Shockey over McMichael. However, if you are looking for a TE to make some yards running downfield then I’d take McMichael. Shockey runs over people and McMichael runs by them.

Anybody know who is the better run blocker?

BTW, I’d take Winslow over both of them!

Hey now, I've seen McMichael run over and through people too... He just does it with "style".

Shockey is a rare talent...IMHO he is the second best TE in the league. However, there was no way we could get him, and we are lucky to have a TE as good as McMichael, especially considering where we drafted him.

Originally posted by RikWriter
Shockey is a rare talent...IMHO he is the second best TE in the league. However, there was no way we could get him, and we are lucky to have a TE as good as McMichael, especially considering where we drafted him.

Out of curiosity, who do you think the best is? Gonzalez? Sharpe? Heap? I agree that we are lucky to have McMichael; he was a steal in the draft.

I think his statement was more him saying "I'm supposed to think I'm the best, that's my winning mentality" more than just a smack quote.....

That's how I read it.....

Are there any stats on passes dropped for no apparent reason? I bet Shockey would lead that category, especially in that Cowgirls game.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
Shockey is overrated but better than McMichael.

i disagree. shockey got a faster start with a pass oriented offense. But they are both excellent TE's. Shockey has more mouth in a big city that tends to appreciate big mouths. thats it in a nutshell.

McMichael will be serious in a couple of years.. He is goigng to be better than SHokey..

Originally posted by DolphinzD

Out of curiosity, who do you think the best is? Gonzalez? Sharpe? Heap? I agree that we are lucky to have McMichael; he was a steal in the draft.

Gonzalez.

Back
Top Bottom