Should It Have Been Tremaine Edmunds And Dallas Goedert? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should It Have Been Tremaine Edmunds And Dallas Goedert?

I’m happy with Fitz and Gesicki but would have been happier with Lamar Jackson in a trade down and still grabbing Gesicki.

I’m happy with Fitz and Gesicki but would have been happier with Lamar Jackson in a trade down and still grabbing Gesicki.

Yea I mean they have complete confidence in Ryan but I was really hoping Jackson was there in the 2nd for us.

Good kid with loads of talent . . . .Ravens were wise to take the gamble on such a potential playmaker.

Edmunds is a better prospect than Fitzpatrick imo, but DB's are, in general, more valuable than LB's, so I get it.

I was higher on Gesicki than Goedert, but Goedert is in a better situation. Philly really knows how to use its TE's, and the offense is ahead of the curve, so Goedert may outproduce Gesicki - particularly early in their careers.

Edmunds is a better prospect than Fitzpatrick imo, but DB's are, in general, more valuable than LB's, so I get it.

I was higher on Gesicki than Goedert, but Goedert is in a better situation. Philly really knows how to use its TE's, and the offense is ahead of the curve, so Goedert may outproduce Gesicki - particularly early in their careers.
Interesting take cuz Goedert is probably the backup TE. That's why I was thinking Gesicki will outproduce him. But nobody will argue Goedert is on the better team. That offense is pretty dang good. My prediction would still be Gesicki will have a better statistical season, TDs in particular. Goedert would probably have more yards

My other issue with drafting Fitz is his optimal position is slot CB.

Why do you say Minkah's optimal position is slot corner? I disagree with that and want to see him spend the majority of his time at free safety where he can be utilised most effectively rather than the 70-80% of his ability that you state, which would more likely be the case at slot CB.

Anyway the original question could really have been framed as "who were you hoping the dolphins would draft at the time" as I do agree that we don't really know any more now than we did then, however Minkah was precisely one place above Edmunds on my board, and Gesicki was one place above Goedart (and both right behind Hayden Hurst) so although I would still have been very happy with the alternative combination, I pretty much could not have been happier with those picks.

Why do you say Minkah's optimal position is slot corner? I disagree with that and want to see him spend the majority of his time at free safety where he can be utilised most effectively rather than the 70-80% of his ability that you state, which would more likely be the case at slot CB.

Anyway the original question could really have been framed as "who were you hoping the dolphins would draft at the time" as I do agree that we don't really know any more now than we did then, however Minkah was precisely one place above Edmunds on my board, and Gesicki was one place above Goedart (and both right behind Hayden Hurst) so although I would still have been very happy with the alternative combination, I pretty much could not have been happier with those picks.

Good question, for starters it’s what he says is his optimal position. But it’s also the position he played at the most last year. I tend to believe his performance in 2017 has more to do with his draft stock than 2016 where he played outside CB. Early picks are judged on their most recent season performance and how that translates to the NFL. He was a stud all over the field but he believes slot CB gives him the best opportunity to utilize his CB/Safety skills. If Miami puts him at Safety or outside CB then they’re only using a portion of his skill set; thus his total value is being limited. If the case then Edmunds should have been the pick. They could use him at his best position.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb.../minkah-fitzpatrick-dolphins-draft-alabama-db

Without question Minkah was my selection at 11.

However I am also positive at the time I would've taken Goedert in the second. That didn't temper my excitement much when I heard we had selected Gesicki. I instantly assured myself this staff thought Gesicki's freak abilities would translate to the NFL.

I will say undoubtedly my bias as a die hard Ohio State living in Penn State country lead me towards preferring the small school guy (along with all his obvious talents). Ironic that Dallas Goedert ended up with the team in my back yard so I'll have to follow his career closely regardless now that he's an Eagle.

I’m happy with both the Fitz and Gesicki pick. But I honestly thought they were going to go with Goedert at TE in the 2nd. Either way it was a TE that was needed.

I can't lie, Edmunds would have made our defense solid. I can't hate the Mink, but the safety position wasn't as bad as LBs. Even moreso now.

Paid Bobby McCain top nickel/slot CB money and they have him on the outside. I commend Miami for playing Fitz at his natural position, but this past game epitomizes the poor decisions Miami makes on personnel. McMillan looked below avg at best ytd. McCain is playing out of position now. Had they drafted Edmunds, they’d have a stud at MLB and a stud at nickel CB (McCain). Instead they have an extra guy who isn’t good outside. Leaving them with 2 holes (CB and MLB). This is why I wanted Edmunds and thought they needed him more.

Gesicki needs to stop trying to jump over guys and Gase needs to scheme for his height advantage and leaping ability. Right now Goedert is looking slightly better.

I’ve watched every rep Edmunds has played this year, I’m happy we didn’t take him..

Pre draft I thought he was being overrated, I said I wouldn’t touch with my first..

He’s shown me exactly what I thought thus far, only thing where I might come up short in his projection is his youth..

I’m just not willing to wait 5 years before he gets it, actually I don’t think he will, I think he will play in this league and he will make some plays here and there, but his inconsistent diagnosing skills will always drive you crazy, I just don’t think he’s going to be a good consistent football player, and at that first round range, that’s what you have to be.

PFf has him as the #72 ranked linebacker..

It was Goedert over Gesicki for me..

With Miami’s 1st and 2nd picks they could have drafted Edmunds and Goedert. Were they correct in taking Fitzpatrick and Gessicki?

We can come back to this mid and late season, but I’m curious what others think and how it goes.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy they have Fitzpatrick and Gessicki; they can be a great players for a long time. It will be a worthy argument going forward. However, I felt Miami needed LB more and the secondary would be great regardless. They certainly can be the best with Fitz; which is a beautiful thing, but great is good enough when there are glaring holes and weak spots elsewhere.

But Edmunds at LB makes their LB group great too and makes them a top 8 defense. Adding Fitz still leaves me in doubt about their overall D. Certainly better at LB than last year with McMillan back; just not as good if it were Edmunds, McMillan, and Alonso. The secondary without Fitz is still a top 8 secondary. But the way it sits now, by combining a below avg DL, this D will be just barely above avg; like 13-15th best.

At TE, Gessicki will have his growing pains. Again, a great TE to have, they filled a hole and I’m happy they grabbed one of the top TEs. However, Goedert brings similar receiving upside while also the better blocker and more NFL ready. I think goedert has a better career.

Again, we’ll see what happens. Overall, Fitz and Gessicki will help this team. So don’t go off the deep end and call me dumb for not liking those two. I do, but my gut tells me Edmunds and Goedert were the better choices.

Still think Gesicki and/or Fitzpatrick were the better choices?

It should have been Derwin James and Mark Andrews but hindsight is 20/20

After two games..

Edmunds has 15 tackles..0 TFL...0 sacks..0 passes defenses...0 forced fumbles..0 Int.

I can get Mike Hull to make 15 tackles as a starting Mike..Jmo, I felt he would drop in the draft relative to where he was being touted, especially with our pick, so I’m still very happy we didn’t select the player, I didn’t think he was worth it, still don’t..

Mark Andrews over Goedert, then, and now..

Back
Top Bottom