Should Miami Dolphins Take a Wide Receiver With a High Pick in 2014 NFL Draft? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should Miami Dolphins Take a Wide Receiver With a High Pick in 2014 NFL Draft?

fisi

Active Roster
Reaction score
The short answer to the question posed by the headline is yes. The Miami Dolphins have a number of holes they need to fill on their roster with their top picks in the 2014 NFL draft, with the offensive line being the predominant need.

But as I continue pouring over scouting reports, watching film, and working on my own mocks and other articles, I cannot get past how good this draft’s wide receiver draft class is, and how the Dolphins’ receiving corps isn’t as solid as it looked this time last season.

Wide receiver cannot be called a “need” for the Dolphins, because they have four legitimate NFL-quality players at the position and the top of that group is good enough to get by.
They would be fine, albeit very unexciting, if they entered the 2014 NFL season with Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline, Brandon Gibson, and Rishard Matthews as their corps. Ryan Tannehill may not totally love it, but they got along decently last season and would theoretically be a little better with another offseason working with Tannehill.

But a closer look at that group leaves a lot to be desired. Wallace was pretty disappointing in his first year in Miami, and proved that he is not a legitimate No. 1 wideout. He needs more help around him, and he also needs a quarterback who can throw a consistently good deep ball.

Hartline has been very solid, but his contract expires next year and he’s not going to get any better. We have seen the best of Hartline, and although he’s been a pleasant surprise, he looks more like a No. 3 receiver than a No. 2 from this point out.

Gibson has his injury issues, and is mostly just a slot receiver. Matthews is fine, but that’s all he is. He can’t carry the load as a starter, and is best cast as a role player. Overall, it’s a pretty uninspiring group with some concerns across the board.

Then you take a look at the first 15 or so names on a list of the top wide receivers in this draft, and it’s pretty spectacular. There are at least six guys worth a first round pick, and I would go so far as to say that 20 of them should have third-round grades or higher.

The Dolphins should not rule out taking a receiver with one of their first three picks. In fact, I would target one even in the second round if I was GM Dennis Hickey.
There are so many names to throw out there. If they want athletic freaks, they could go with Brandon Coleman, Martavis Bryant, Donte Moncrief, or Cody Latimer. If they want an experienced player who would make an impact right away, Jordan Matthews or Jarvis Landry would be optimal.

Players like Odell Beckham, Jr., Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, and Brandin Cooks all bring so much to the table. Notice I left off two names who would be possibilities in the first round: Marqise Lee and Kelvin Benjamin.

I think Lee’s injury history, suspect hands, and average size give him some major red flags. He’s dynamic but inconsistent, and has been overrated as a prospect. Benjamin is at the top of my “do not draft” list because of his poor hands and age (already 23 years old).

Any of the aforementioned players would be great, although Beckham and Cooks would likely have to be first rounders. As for the rest, I’d be happy with any. My personal favorites are Matthews, Robinson, Moncrief, and Coleman.

But all of those players would make a big impact. New OC Bill Lazor could use a new weapon in his offense, and Tannehill undoubtedly would like some more help as well.
The value is there, Miami just has to be bold enough to go get it.

http://www.miamidolphinsdraft.com/2...-receiver-with-a-high-pick-in-2014-nfl-draft/

Back
Top Bottom