Should the Dolphins consider playing Byron Jones at safety? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should the Dolphins consider playing Byron Jones at safety?

Finfan83nj

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score

Could the Dolphins charge Jones with playing free safety? Sure, they could. And in any given week, you may see Jones take some reps in space. But to ask him to play there permanently would temper his value for the Dolphins and be a mis-managed opportunity; especially considering what the cost was to secure Jones’ services.

There are going to be a lot of moving parts in the Fins secondary; a lot of disguised coverages. I'm sure Byron Jones will see some reps at free safety, but I'm pretty sure BRANDON Jones and Steven Parker will be the "official" free safeties.
Brandon Jones was pretty versatile at Texas, switching from Safety to Nickel often. Some analysts have said hes going to be our Chung.

Brandon Jones was pretty versatile at Texas, switching from Safety to Nickel often. Some analysts have said hes going to be our Chung.

This exactly. Aside from Eric Rowe at SS and X at CB, I think you're going to have all of the DB switching coverages at different points. The other guy I think is going to be an interesting piece is Iggy. He's been primarily a press corner thus far, so I could easily see him lined up on the LOS on the same side as both Joneses and used as a blitzer in dime packages.

Damn Crabbs needs to respect himself more than that garbage article...

brainstorming.. "no dolphins fan has every thought we made Jones the most expensive CB in the league just to move him to Safety"

"I got it.... I'll bring it up"

"Should Jones be moved to safety. No he shouldn't. Good writing, noone thinks he should be moved but I'm glad i clarified that"

His next article is going to be even more amazing "If Tua beats out at Fitz in training camp, then should Fitz, who was are leading runner in 2019, be moved to running back" 5 paragraphs later "no i dont think so"

Why? He wasn't good there while in Dallas. He got paid big time for his ability to cover 1 v 1.

I have Brandon Jones as my dark horse impact player of year for fins.
Then again I had Prince as my DH last year and missed badly lol.

No absolutely not waste of his talent, he better be an press outside shutdown cornerback and one of the best in the league or we wasted our money.

Nothing dark horse about him Brandon Jones is the highest paid CB in the league - dark horse should be a player who's talent far exceeds expectations like Nick Needham and the progress he showed from the beginning of 2019 to the end, something unexpected.

No absolutely not waste of his talent, he better be an press outside shutdown cornerback and one of the best in the league or we wasted our money.

Nothing dark horse about him Brandon Jones is the highest paid CB in the league - dark horse should be a player who's talent far exceeds expectations like Nick Needham and the progress he showed from the beginning of 2019 to the end, something unexpected.
Byron jones is the highest paid.. Brandon is the rookie we signed. :p
If Benito Jones makes the roster that’s 3 B. Jones lol.

In short, No. Seems a bad use of his skill set. Might see him there occasionally, but generally he needs to be in 1 on 1 coverage.

I don't think we will see him line up at Safety but i do expect the Fins to move him around and not just stick him on one of the boundaries.

I could see him lining up on the really dangerous TE's since he is such a physical corner, while Iggy and X man the edges.

I think we will see more than two CB's on the field the majority of the time.

I don't think we will see him line up at Safety but i do expect the Fins to move him around and not just stick him on one of the boundaries.

I could see him lining up on the really dangerous TE's since he is such a physical corner, while Iggy and X man the edges.

I think we will see more than two CB's on the field the majority of the time.
It is a guarentee that we will see more than two CB's the majority of the time. The league average for that number was 70-75% of the time the past 2 years.

And I'm quite sure we will be on the high end there. We are building a modern NFL defense from scratch.

They don't say "you can never have too many corners" just because it sounds catchy.

Everyone knows you dont make a cornerback the highest paid player at his position and then switch him to safety... unless your name is Bobby McCain.

Cause we all know Bobby McCain has the ability to be a better safety than Byron Jones and all the actual safeties on the team. Where would be without Bobby McCain the undisputed leader of this defense?

Back
Top Bottom