Should the Dolphins Give Players with Character Questions a Second Chance

Jaj

What you say?
Joined
Jan 22, 2003
Messages
13,149
Reaction score
0
Age
41
Location
LA
This year in the draft there are several prospects that have questionable character. The highest names offcourse are Adrian McPherson and Maurice Clarett. However there are others with questions. Players that include Travis Johnson, Dan Cody (his off-field issues and so-called overintensity), and Chris Henry.

In the past few years we've failed at "controlling" players like Daryl Gardener, Ricky Williams, and Davis Boston. Then again you look at teams like the Eagles and the Pats who completed trades for T.O. and Corey Dillon, respectively, that contributed to their SB runs.

What kind of player deserves a second chance? Which player doesn't? That's my question to Dolfans.
 

jnewmant

Hit folks and like it!
Joined
Feb 9, 2005
Messages
2,368
Reaction score
1
Age
36
Location
Greenville, MS
this should be moved to another forum, no i'm just joking, this is a very good question, i'm all for giving players a second chance but i'm not sure as to what degree they should get that chance i mean honestly i'm not unbiased at all and sometimes human nature starts to play in my decision. I'd give McPherson a chance but i wouldn't give Clarett the same just because of all the crap that has surrounded Clarett and his enormous ego. McPherson dosen't seem to have the big head like clarett. As far as ricky goes i'd be hard pressed to give him another chance unless we drafted another running back that was capable of carrying the load.
 

FIREMEDIC822

New Era
Joined
Dec 21, 2004
Messages
236
Reaction score
0
Age
44
Location
Seminole, FL
Jaj said:
This year in the draft there are several prospects that have questionable character. The highest names offcourse are Adrian McPherson and Maurice Clarett. However there are others with questions. Players that include Travis Johnson, Dan Cody (his off-field issues and so-called overintensity), and Chris Henry.

In the past few years we've failed at "controlling" players like Daryl Gardener, Ricky Williams, and Davis Boston. Then again you look at teams like the Eagles and the Pats who completed trades for T.O. and Corey Dillon, respectively, that contributed to their SB runs.

What kind of player deserves a second chance? Which player doesn't? That's my question to Dolfans.

That is a loaded question. However I do believe in second chances for everybody. I think the Dave and Norv show really chased off Ricky. Every stat I saw about a back that ran that much had him getting a major injury in the next few seasons. If I saw the stats I am sure Ricky was aware of them. David was on the path to doing great things. He was looking good in camp and was doing everything the team asked him to do. So yes I believe in 2nd chances. 3rd chances are a stretch. As far as the college kids go, which one of us didnt get into trouble in college. The only difference is we are not in the national spot light.
 

Jaj

What you say?
Joined
Jan 22, 2003
Messages
13,149
Reaction score
0
Age
41
Location
LA
jnewmant said:
this should be moved to another forum, no i'm just joking, this is a very good question, i'm all for giving players a second chance but i'm not sure as to what degree they should get that chance i mean honestly i'm not unbiased at all and sometimes human nature starts to play in my decision. I'd give McPherson a chance but i wouldn't give Clarett the same just because of all the crap that has surrounded Clarett and his enormous ego. McPherson dosen't seem to have the big head like clarett. As far as ricky goes i'd be hard pressed to give him another chance unless we drafted another running back that was capable of carrying the load.
You got me on the first line :lol:

I actually am not against Clarett like most are. Yes he's done some stupid things, but he seems to be dedicated now. A man with a chip on his shoulder is always a dangerous man if you ask me.
 

Shifty187

Seasoned Veteran
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
1,405
Reaction score
0
Age
36
Location
The 305
How did we fail to control Boston?

We asked him to drop 30+lbs of muscle (something he wouldnt do for the Bolts) and he did it!
 

Jaj

What you say?
Joined
Jan 22, 2003
Messages
13,149
Reaction score
0
Age
41
Location
LA
His off-field issues became problems. Especially the incident at the airport.
 

Dudeman

Coolness
Joined
Oct 13, 2004
Messages
3,815
Reaction score
1
Age
37
Location
Lake Mary....I think
there is no way that Adrian will ever repeat his antics ever again. once he's in the NFL, he'll be making plenty of money and won't be in a position to be young and stupid..he'll make some team look very smart for drafting him
 

ABrownLamp

The Decider
Joined
May 25, 2004
Messages
6,330
Reaction score
1
Age
40
Location
Not in Clearwater
This is impossible to answer since none of us know whether or not off field antics have any bearing on the football field or in the lockerroom (except in extreme cases like Ricky).
I think Maurice Clarette is over himself. I mean what does he have to brag about anymore? And McPhereson. Was it really all that bad? I mean really, he didn't shoot someone. He has a passion for the game... what else do you want out of him?
 

Jaj

What you say?
Joined
Jan 22, 2003
Messages
13,149
Reaction score
0
Age
41
Location
LA
ABrownLamp said:
This is impossible to answer since none of us know whether or not off field antics have any bearing on the football field or in the lockerroom (except in extreme cases like Ricky).
I think Maurice Clarette is over himself. I mean what does he have to brag about anymore? And McPhereson. Was it really all that bad? I mean really, he didn't shoot someone. He has a passion for the game... what else do you want out of him?
Your right about that. The two man Lewis crew in Baltimore had far more serious off field problems.
 

TeeMoney

Kid A
Finheaven VIP
Joined
May 25, 2003
Messages
2,586
Reaction score
999
Location
Planet Telex
If a players problems affect his on field ability, or desire, then I think you should pass on them.
 

Shifty187

Seasoned Veteran
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
1,405
Reaction score
0
Age
36
Location
The 305
Jaj said:
What kind of player deserves a second chance? Which player doesn't? That's my question to Dolfans.
Players like T.O. and Dillon deserve a 2nd chance because they wanted out of crappy teams that were wasting their best years! A player like Ricky doesnt deserve a 2nd chance because he screwed a franchise for no reason!
 

Jaj

What you say?
Joined
Jan 22, 2003
Messages
13,149
Reaction score
0
Age
41
Location
LA
It didn't seem to affect Maurice's abilities on the field. He was an impressive runner, who reminds me much of Duce Staley.
 

Jaj

What you say?
Joined
Jan 22, 2003
Messages
13,149
Reaction score
0
Age
41
Location
LA
Well he reminds me of Duce Staley's style but I think he has a bit more power and a bit more vision+ability. Duce Staley however isn't a bad back, he was underappreciated in Philly however.
 

Clark Kent

Man of Steel
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
2,944
Reaction score
0
It depends on what the players problems are.

McPherson- Gambling and stealing claims against him. That's a money thing. Maybe not as big of an issue.

Clarrett- Immature and really lost as a person (IMO).

There's a difference between that and Ricky, who always marched to the beat of his own drum.

I would love McPherson. 1st round talent, whos past is keeping him back from being a top prospect. More talent then any any other QB past the top 2.
 
Top Bottom