Should the Dolphins Give Players with Character Questions a Second Chance | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should the Dolphins Give Players with Character Questions a Second Chance

Would you draft a QB in the first round that threw 17 TDS and 23 INTs his senior year (despite a great junior year) and was surrounded by drug rumors? I doubt many people would, but Marino dropped to us because of that and look how that turned out. He was the best quarterback ever and a natural leader.
As a result, I don't mind offering one-year contracts to problem players, or taking the occasional gamble in the draft this year in the later rounds.
Although Boston's drug use has been documented and he is a problem in the locker room, I would still offer a one-year contract at the minimum to see if he turns it around. If he becomes a problem then you just drop him like Tampa did Keyshawn. But if San Francisco ends up taking him, I wouldn't feel too bad. We have a solid core of receivers already.
As for Clarett, I never thought he was very impressive. In a deep RB class like this year's I think we can do a lot better. Even if his attitude improved, I just don't think he has the speed to run well outside the tackles.
But to me McPherson is a worthwhile gamble. I would certainly take him in round three if he was still there. He seems to have the arm strength necessary to throw the deep outs, and the mobility you need to compete in the league (especially behind a young o-line). His performance in the AFL and in private workouts seems really impressive, and I'm prepared to trust Saban's judgement of his character. I'm sure he'll be well-scouted and extensively interviewed. If those things check out this spring, I wouldn't hold him to a mistake he made when he was 19. There's a lot of upside here, he's no Marino but he might develop into a Cunningham type.

Pocoloco said:
Would you draft a QB in the first round that threw 17 TDS and 23 INTs his senior year (despite a great junior year) and was surrounded by drug rumors? I doubt many people would, but Marino dropped to us because of that and look how that turned out. He was the best quarterback ever and a natural leader.
As a result, I don't mind offering one-year contracts to problem players, or taking the occasional gamble in the draft this year in the later rounds.
Although Boston's drug use has been documented and he is a problem in the locker room, I would still offer a one-year contract at the minimum to see if he turns it around. If he becomes a problem then you just drop him like Tampa did Keyshawn. But if San Francisco ends up taking him, I wouldn't feel too bad. We have a solid core of receivers already.
As for Clarett, I never thought he was very impressive. In a deep RB class like this year's I think we can do a lot better. Even if his attitude improved, I just don't think he has the speed to run well outside the tackles.
But to me McPherson is a worthwhile gamble. I would certainly take him in round three if he was still there. He seems to have the arm strength necessary to throw the deep outs, and the mobility you need to compete in the league (especially behind a young o-line). His performance in the AFL and in private workouts seems really impressive, and I'm prepared to trust Saban's judgement of his character. I'm sure he'll be well-scouted and extensively interviewed. If those things check out this spring, I wouldn't hold him to a mistake he made when he was 19. There's a lot of upside here, he's no Marino but he might develop into a Cunningham type.

I always like taking players that who are a gamble. Your right about Marino, just imagine a QB today who with that many questions about him would still be picked in the 1st round. Marino was a gamble that paid off in every way imaginable.

If the guy has proven his ability, and has been consistent in his skills then I can understand taking a risk. But not on guys that have one good year and have been average, or have screwed themselves and amazingly they turn a new leaf around draft time. Have fun polishing that turd.

Another guy worth taking a risk on is T.A. McLendon. Very similar back to Clarett, but his big problem is injuries. He is very talented in all except straight-line speed.

Jaj said:
Another guy worth taking a risk on is T.A. McLendon. Very similar back to Clarett, but his big problem is injuries. He is very talented in all except straight-line speed.

I just think that with all the potential talent in this draft at RB that it would be stupid to draft a RB who may or may not be the best in the draft at frikkin #2, know what I mean? Same goes for QB, IMO.

And honestly, as far as character issues, you MUST know that most of these athletes in school are not there for an education. I guarantee you that an alarmingly high proportion of these guys going to the NFL from college have character issues. I mean let's get real here. The fact that a few of them got caught for something like gambling is so petty in the scope of things that it isn't worth talking about.

Dude, unless it is an egregious crime, I say let's take em...gambling...give me a break...

ABrownLamp said:
I just think that with all the potential talent in this draft at RB that it would be stupid to draft a RB who may or may not be the best in the draft at frikkin #2, know what I mean? Same goes for QB, IMO.

And honestly, as far as character issues, you MUST know that most of these athletes in school are not there for an education. I guarantee you that an alarmingly high proportion of these guys going to the NFL from college have character issues. I mean let's get real here. The fact that a few of them got caught for something like gambling is so petty in the scope of things that it isn't worth talking about.

Dude, unless it is an egregious crime, I say let's take em...gambling...give me a break...

Unless it's murder I think the player deserves a 2nd chance.

IMO These kind of players are like ticking time bombs.They will let you down someday.
There are exceptions of course but too few to mention.

Jaj said:
This year in the draft there are several prospects that have questionable character. The highest names offcourse are Adrian McPherson and Maurice Clarett. However there are others with questions. Players that include Travis Johnson, Dan Cody (his off-field issues and so-called overintensity), and Chris Henry.

In the past few years we've failed at "controlling" players like Daryl Gardener, Ricky Williams, and Davis Boston. Then again you look at teams like the Eagles and the Pats who completed trades for T.O. and Corey Dillon, respectively, that contributed to their SB runs.

What kind of player deserves a second chance? Which player doesn't? That's my question to Dolfans.

It really depends on the person involved and what issue is at hand.

McPherson, and Clarrett had their problems over two years ago, small problems at that. I'd have no problem what so ever with them.

College is a place where kids learn to become something, and in most college's it's a big party after classes. Every single one of them deserve chances, unless the crimes are rape, death, and hating the Dolphins. :D

Jaj said:
Unless it's murder I think the player deserves a 2nd chance.

HA!!

Totally, man. Ooooh, Clarette has ego problems..please. How many of these guys in the NFL have grown up being the best in both high school and college? Umm..just about all of them. They all have ego problems. They all think they are above the law. Look at Jay Williams. What the hell has he done for his career? Oh, but I ain't playin for no college coach...Get the hell out here you jerk.

being suspended for steroids is a no no... not that he used them but that he got caught... you are responsible for not getting caught...

I would give McPherson a second chance with the phins, just because its blatantly obvious that he has dedicated himself to the game of football, and is an unbelievable athlete that would probably go in the first round if not for a mistake he made back when he was in college.

Clarett, on the other hand, while he may be comitted to football, its so he can get a fat paycheck out of it. He's not the same HB that he was his freshamn year at Ohio State.

I think they do get a second, thrid, and forth chance. They screw up on one team and then another team and get release and a team picks them up. They mess up the chance and get release. My point is that there are 32 teams and someone is going to sign the player if their is the chance of that player being productive. Just like if Ricky if he comes back someone will pick him up.

hey jaj , good thread , i think you made a mistake on de dan cody iwasn't dan cody who had a off the field incident , it was de Dusty Devorcheck . dusty beat a buddy of his nearly to death in a bar fight and the kid nearly died from the beating. Dan Cody is on good terms sith everyone as i know. i just thought to mention it .

when it comes to second chances I dont have a problem with it unless the clown pulls what david boston did and then i say its time to move on. why do feel this way ? its simple . if boston is using steroids and he beats up a old man then goes out and pulls another bone headed stunt it could hurt the team because if booker and thompson gets injured and we dont draft another wr then we might become thin at wr so with all the talent at wr and runing backs I say we should give a player a 3 strikes and your out deal.:cooldude:

For some reason I only heard the name adrian mcpharson a couple times, and I had a dream with someone named Adrian Mcpharson so maybe we will draft him ;)

Back
Top Bottom