Should we fix the offense first? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should we fix the offense first?

BSQ

Scout Team
Club Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering with the cash and draft assets that we currently have if we should target the offense first. First, I'm of the opinion that no matter what Rosen does we still take a QB at #1. Once we have Tua, who seems to be our pick, we need to add o-line and offensive weapons. I think we have enough in the bank to either fix the offense or fix the defense. We, of course, will do both at the same time but I'm not sure that's the way to go. If we just go offense in FA and the draft we can build something really special that's hard to stop. We load up on o-line, RB and receiver.

The reason I started thinking this way is because we have nothing on offense as far as keepers, not anybody. Maybe a couple of o-line guys like Deiter and Davis, maybe Wilson if he gets back to health. With our cash and picks we can replicate what the Cowboys have on offense which is reminding me of the great Cowboy teams of the past. Aikman, Smith and Michael Irvin are now Zak Prescott, Ezekial and Amari Cooper and the o-line is a throw back to the physical mauling lines of the 1991 team. I'd love to build an offense that has a great RB, instead of scatback types, I 'd draft a downhill bruiser who can get you 3,4 yards at least on first down. Before RB, I'd hope to land Jeudy so that Tua can can have instant comfortability with a receiver he knows well. Then build a tough, mean, mauling and athletic o-line that send a couple of players to the Pro Bowl. It won't go down this way but it's fun to speculate what we could build if we went all in on offense.

My opinion is this needs to be the most boring draft in Dolphins history,
Trade down and focus on the trenches. Both sides of the ball, OL and DL. We need depth here also.

Not DE or TE. Just big mean 25 sandwich eating maulers.

Next year we focus on dynamics in the draft.

We also have the FA to pick up some pieces if any good apples are available for picking. JMO :(

Yes. Fix the O-line with 2 high draft choices, and 2 free Agents; QB with one of the 3 1st round draft choices. Draft 1 receiver and 1 free agent receiver.

We should have enough ammo to add pieces to the defense: Use another 1st rounder for DE, 2nd rounder for the 2nd CB. The rest of the draft for safety, running backs, defensive tackles/ends, more CBs.

Rosen and new QB battle behind a rebuild line. Running game should improve as well.

Reactions: BSQ
I would trade the first pick for a kings ransom or take Chase Young. Take a QB in the top 5 is a big risk that rarely pans out. Football is still a game that is won in the trenches.

My opinion on the draft is consistent. You always take the best player available. If there are multiple players with the same grade, then use need to choose between those players. Never, ever use need over talent!!!

QB,QB,QB and olinemen. Whatever remains we can fill in almost anywhere. I also see the need for a play making lber. A stud lber makes the whole D better.

The FA class next year is on the weak side with most of the players being past their prime or injury prone. The elite players will most likely be franchise tagged. If they aren’t they will draw interest from pretty much every team, so it’s hard to see anyone choosing Miami unless we insanely overpay them.

Given the MO of our front office I’m not sure we take Tua if we have the #1 pick and another team offers a King’s ransom. Have you watched Alabama play this year? Tua’s stats are grossly padded with all the free win, scrub teams they play. He’s throwing TDs to guys who are wide open all game. I’ve personally never been sold that he is a guaranteed prospect. He isn’t a guy who has ever had to carry a terrible team on his back and lets face it, next year he would be forced to do exactly that if we draft him.

Don't reach, but 1A. QB, 1B. OL and 2. DL are what we need this offseason. We have skill players we can suffice with but we need to set finding a QB and protecting the QB as top priorities. DL is secindary. All other positions can be developed or drafted in the next draft.

I think people think Tua is the pick because that's what this board and the media has decided. No one in the front office, that I have heard, has drooled publicly over Tua.
And I agree that best player available is always the way to go; if players are evenly clumped, then go offense. I think the way the league is designed now, you gotta have an offense or you're cooked. By the end of draft weekend, there should be, however, 3 OL in tow, a TE, QB obviously, maybe a WR or two. Any defense added with those is fine, but those players can be taken anywhere, as long as they were the best player at that choice. They should be added to a FA haul of trench guys. Then let it shake out next season, which I think will more than likely be a disaster as well, but just not as bad as this one. It is going to take time for all these new players to gel. I hope we can get things to gel with all the moving pieces before we start to lose assets to FA in four years. Another reason to be careful with long term free agent signings- we will have cap space to extend our own. Don't blow it on guys who will wreck our cap and not allow us to extend anyone we want.

Actually, I think that we can improve both Offense and Defense concurrently. We have many, many needs, but I wouldn't just focus on one side. The old adage of picking the best player available is totally appropriate. We lucked out in drafting Laremy Tunsil 3 years ago and now trading him for 2 1sts and a 2nd, it provides the draft capital to set up the future. Reggie McKenzie working behind the scenes, evaluating the college talent, is a key part of correcting the problem. He drafted Khalil Mack when GM in Oakland, so he has an eye for talent.

QB top priority. OL next. You can't evaluate when you continue to have a sieve for an offensive line.

I could live with this:
1A) TUA
1B) His WR from Alabama JUERRY (sp?)
1C) The best C in the country (help guys, I've no clue)

To me, that's a great start.

Fix the trenches. Grier needs to make this happen. We did it once with Long and Henne. We had bad luck that year but this is the blueprint. I've seen all I needed to see last week with Rosen.

He looked really good and should only get better. He deserves a fair shot.

Don't reach, but 1A. QB, 1B. OL and 2. DL are what we need this offseason. We have skill players we can suffice with but we need to set finding a QB and protecting the QB as top priorities. DL is secindary. All other positions can be developed or drafted in the next draft.
Depends on 1b if it’s top 5 and Chase young there you take him then 1c ol

Back
Top Bottom