Should we fix the offense first? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should we fix the offense first?

We would have scored more points if our WRs could catch and RBs didn’t fumble. I’m seeing at least 6 to 7 wholes on just our offense. It looks like a practice squad.
Eh, every team has tough breaks, it's part of the game. If you want to happy adjust, we are still looking at 10 points a game. But hey everything is A-OK on offense.

A resounding yes. Screw defense this year.

I mention this in another thread and it is not a new idea, but I do believe the reason we see many of these young early drafted QBs fail in the NFL is that they are drafted by bad teams. They almost never have assets around them to throw to and even less on the o-line for protection. Miami cannot follow that idea. You cannot go through all of this, gain these assets, tank for Tua, then spend high end picks on defense. You going to send that kid out there with a couple of FA o-lineman and ****ing Jakeem Grant. "Hey, we are really excited about Tua and what he brings to the team and for an extra added challenge, we are going to give him **** all on the offense to work with".

The Dolphins are actually in a unique position where they not only can take the QB number 1 overall, but also give him a fighting chance out the gate with good protection and a couple of offensive weapons.

Exactly right. When you look at which young QB's succeed:

1. They need to be talented. Should go without saying, but some of the early picks lacked talent in critical areas. A quick mind and quick eyes are the most critical and underrated factors.
2. They need time to throw and players to throw to. These two balance each other and also factor in #3.
3. They need a playcaller who will put them in positions to succeed - both in scheme and play selection.

Few QB's are talented enough to overcome significant weaknesses in OL, WR/TE, and playcalling. Watson has a bad playcaller and a bad OL, which looks to finally be improving, but at least he has some high-end weapons at WR. Mahomes has everything a QB could ever dream of. Wentz and Goff also found excellent situations (once McVay was hired).

I think Tua is good enough to avoid failure in a bad situation, but he probably wouldn't thrive, and you want to maximize your investment. After all, it will be the most important investment Miami has made in decades. If the QB thrives, Miami will be in contention for the foreseeable future. If he doesn't, Miami will be what they have been since the mid 90s.

Last edited:
100 years ago when Marino was slinging it around and the offense was terrific there was no defense which resulted in no Superbowl. I think you need a mix before you can compete with NE but getting the offense in place first will help make them fun to watch again. I vote for offensive draft in 2020 and D if you get it going afterwards.

I want Tua at #1 overall, and I want a WR with the second or third first rounder. If we have a chance at Jeudy, then make it happen. If not I like Ruggs, Shenault, Lamb, and Tylan Wallace. This WR class, along with the likelihood of Miami having 4 top 32 picks.... have to grab one.

I'd also like to draft a RB in the second or third round. Obviously we will draft a few OL.

I'd be good with a heavy offensive overhaul. I'd then target Surtain/Campbell in the 2020 draft.

Based on last Sundays, Chase Young is clearly the one player in college football who could've impacted our game with Dallas the most. So there's that to ponder.

This team is going to manipulate the draft in order to give itself the most overall bank for it's collective buck.

There's no player in NFL history I'd rather have more than 2-3 first round picks every year, for the next 4-5 years. Drawing conclusions now seems so naive for a franchise trying to set itself up with a whole buffet of options to feast on in the future.

It's fun to look at mock drafts, but if ever there was a year to not fall in love with that one guy, it's this one. All business approach this year. Day's 1 and 2 of the draft will start and end with the Miami Dolphins controlling the action.

Based on last Sundays, Chase Young is clearly the one player in college football who could've impacted our game with Dallas the most. So there's that to ponder.

This team is going to manipulate the draft in order to give itself the most overall bank for it's collective buck.

There's no player in NFL history I'd rather have more than 2-3 first round picks every year, for the next 4-5 years. Drawing conclusions now seems so naive for a franchise trying to set itself up with a whole buffet of options to feast on in the future.

It's fun to look at mock drafts, but if ever there was a year to not fall in love with that one guy, it's this one. All business approach this year. Day's 1 and 2 of the draft will start and end with the Miami Dolphins controlling the action.
Why would Chase Young have affected a game in which we scored 6 points more than a QB? I'm confused by this.

Why would Chase Young have affected a game in which we scored 6 points more than a QB? I'm confused by this.

You watched that game thinking "If only someone other than Rosen was playing QB we'd have scored more points"? If that's the case, you clearly went into the game with that predetermination. Why even watch the games?

I saw a QB lead what could've/should've been 5 scoring drives. I am not going to ignore the perfect pass to Preston Williams in the endzone (or the countless other drops), because doesn't fit my agenda.
I am not going to ignore Drake's fumble at the 5 because I have all the Alabama games set to record on my DVR this fall.

I watched that game thinking if Rosen/Prescott switched teams we'd lose 50-0. Josh Rosen was the only reason we didn't get destroyed again.

From historically bad through 2 games, to having outgained Dallas in total yardage at one point into the second half is a MONUMENTAL leap for this offense.

But I get it, when you have an agenda you only see 6 points.

And maybe that' the best game he ever plays as a Dolphin. Maybe with more time to throw, better WR's and a running game, he'll play worse in the future.

You watched that game thinking "If only someone other than Rosen was playing QB we'd have scored more points"? If that's the case, you clearly went into the game with that predetermination. Why even watch the games?

I saw a QB lead what could've/should've been 5 scoring drives. I am not going to ignore the perfect pass to Preston Williams in the endzone (or the countless other drops), because doesn't fit my agenda.
I am not going to ignore Drake's fumble at the 5 because I have all the Alabama games set to record on my DVR this fall.

I watched that game thinking if Rosen/Prescott switched teams we'd lose 50-0. Josh Rosen was the only reason we didn't get destroyed again.

From historically bad through 2 games, to having outgained Dallas in total yardage at one point into the second half is a MONUMENTAL leap for this offense.

And maybe that' the best game he ever plays as a Dolphin. Maybe with more time to throw, better WR's and a running game, he'll play worse in the future.
Don't project on me. I merely stated that we scored 6 points with Josh Rosen at the helm. When you make statements like... "If Rosen and Dak switched places we lose 50-0!". When you make that statement, YOU'RE the one making a predetermination since you may be the only person in the universe who actually thinks Rosen is better than Dak, which is exactly what you're saying there. It's also pure hyperbole so it's pointless for you to even say.

And since your statement automatically assumes Chase Young turned out to be elite and not a bust when you implied he would've made the biggest impact, then by that logic I can assume that Tua also turned out to be elite and not a bust. So now we're debating whether an elite quarterback has more of an impact than an elite defensive end which we already know the answer to that therefore your premise is completely wrong.

You're not coming from a place of objectivity so don't pretend to be.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering with the cash and draft assets that we currently have if we should target the offense first. First, I'm of the opinion that no matter what Rosen does we still take a QB at #1. Once we have Tua, who seems to be our pick, we need to add o-line and offensive weapons. I think we have enough in the bank to either fix the offense or fix the defense. We, of course, will do both at the same time but I'm not sure that's the way to go. If we just go offense in FA and the draft we can build something really special that's hard to stop. We load up on o-line, RB and receiver.

The reason I started thinking this way is because we have nothing on offense as far as keepers, not anybody. Maybe a couple of o-line guys like Deiter and Davis, maybe Wilson if he gets back to health. With our cash and picks we can replicate what the Cowboys have on offense which is reminding me of the great Cowboy teams of the past. Aikman, Smith and Michael Irvin are now Zak Prescott, Ezekial and Amari Cooper and the o-line is a throw back to the physical mauling lines of the 1991 team. I'd love to build an offense that has a great RB, instead of scatback types, I 'd draft a downhill bruiser who can get you 3,4 yards at least on first down. Before RB, I'd hope to land Jeudy so that Tua can can have instant comfortability with a receiver he knows well. Then build a tough, mean, mauling and athletic o-line that send a couple of players to the Pro Bowl. It won't go down this way but it's fun to speculate what we could build if we went all in on offense.
This is strictly a rhetorical question, which may be fun to look at and dissect, but completely a waste of time. Until we get the draft they and the pics begins one fold you cannot answer this question because you don't know what you'll be dealing with. I think most people would agree you run into trouble when you draft by need as opposed to best available athlete. If we can agree on that, that's your answer.

Don't project on me. I merely stated that we scored 6 points with Josh Rosen at the helm. When you make statements like... "If Rosen and Dak switched places we lose 50-0!". When you make that statement, YOU'RE the one making a predetermination since you may be the only person in the universe who actually thinks Rosen is better than Dak, which is exactly what you're saying there. It's also pure hyperbole so it's pointless for you to even say.

And since your statement automatically assumes Chase Young turned out to be elite and not a bust when you implied he would've made the biggest impact, then by that logic I can assume that Tua also turned out to be elite and not a bust. So now we're debating whether an elite quarterback has more of an impact than an elite defensive end which we already know the answer to therefore your premise is completely wrong.

You're not coming from a place of objectivity so don't pretend to be.

Not complete objectivity, your correct. I am also biased because I am an Ohio State fan FWIW. I don't feel I need to wait to see Young in the NFL to project his talents, to me (and the whole world) they are obvious. It's a safer projection than a QB. Especially a shorter QB, who's lefty and comes from an NFL factory known for disappointing in the pro's.

We are both projecting, but only you are dismissing anyone. You bypassed Josh Rosen's "6 points" as a failure, when it was in fact anything but. That's not a fair assessment of his performance.

Not complete objectivity, your correct. I am also biased because I am an Ohio State fan FWIW. I don't feel I need to wait to see Young in the NFL to project his talents, to me (and the whole world) they are obvious. It's a safer projection than a QB. Especially a shorter QB, who's lefty and comes from an NFL factory known for disappointing in the pro's.

We are both projecting, but only you are dismissing anyone. You bypassed Josh Rosen's "6 points" as a failure, when it was in fact anything but. That's not a fair assessment of his performance.
1) Depending on how Pittsburgh does this year, we could end up getting both Tua as well as Chase Young.
2) Alabama has the most NFL players on opening day rosters this season. That's literally the complete opposite of "disappointing in the pros". Being a lefty is also completely irrelevant since we lack both tackles.
3) I merely stated Josh Rosen lead an offense that scored 6 points. You are putting words in my mouth saying it was a failure or that it wasn't a fair assessment given that I didn't actually give an assessment at all, so I'm not projecting anything. You are.

Josh Rosen is the ONLY reason we didn't get destroyed? Come on man so the defense gets 0 credit for holding the Cowboys to 10 points in the 1st half?

Josh Rosen is the ONLY reason we didn't get destroyed? Come on man so the defense gets 0 credit for holding the Cowboys to 10 points in the 1st half?

Individually, no, as a collective group, maybe the coaching staff? The glaring weakness's were greater than any play made Bobby McCain. It was tough to watch Prescott sit back there for up to 6 seconds on some passing plays and not want to puke, let alone properly appreciate a TFL by Eguvian or Godchaux.

Dallas seemed to be biding their time until taking over, which seemed inevitable.

Rosen, from start to finish, gave Miami a chance on every play.

Our offense is to the point where losing Jesse Davis for a half was a BIG loss, for prosective. And we still moved the ball.

Back
Top Bottom