Should We Give Mare The Boot? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should We Give Mare The Boot?

Themajster

NYC FIN FAN
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but it seems after a couple years of getting worse it's time to say so long to Mare, or make him take a pay cut. If I'm not mistaken he's one of the highest paid kickers in the league. Any thoughts?

Themajster said:
Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but it seems after a couple years of getting worse it's time to say so long to Mare, or make him take a pay cut. If I'm not mistaken he's one of the highest paid kickers in the league. Any thoughts?

If he doesn't improve his consistency then Saban will definitely give him the option to lower his contract or to "hit the bricks".

Ask him to take a paycut if he does fine if he doesnt then look for someone cheap and have Mare feel pressure, either he improves his play or we find a cheap replacement.

I really dont think mare is that great,saban should make him take a pay cut in the first place:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think we should give him the boot but his play has been in decline for the past 2 years ever since his kicking coach left. I think we should ask him to take a pay cut (suprised it hasn't already happened) and if he doesn't then Saban will prolly cut him. I really like Mare but 1 million is to much for a kicker that can't keep up what he's capable of doing, which is making big time kicks like he always used to do

Give him a veteran minimum and then the remainder based on incentives for percentage of fg's made, touchbacks, or other factors that the brain trust can figure out. He has been on a steady decline and we should not be paying high dollars for him.

Mare + Zach=OVER Paid.

Mare---way OVER Due for Pay cut.
Zach is good...But 6M Good?

i think we should give you the boot. leave my man mare alone.

Sundance Kid said:
Maybe Mare but not Zack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phinphan11 said:
If he can stay healthy..... Yes!

Unfortunately that is becoming a bigger and bigger "IF".

:cry:

He should have to take a pay cut he is getting older but still pretty reliable.

This is why I think we should keep him. #3 all-time is pretty impressive!

Highest Field Goal Percentage, Career (100 field goals)
87.88Mike Vanderjagt, Indianapolis, 1998-2003
82.96David Akers, Washington, 1998; Philadelphia, 1999-2003
82.35Olindo Mare, Miami, 1997-2003

Sundance Kid said:

Are any of the top guys really worth their pay ??

Look, Mare has had two less-than-stellar years, but is still in the top 5 of all time kickers...He also is pretty good at longer kickoffs, which is a definite advantage to the STs. Is he worth the $1.5, well the top 5 kickers average about $2.5 mil (see Vinitieri's adjusted franchise tag salary), so I would put him in the top 10 at least right now, therefore his salary is close to his worth IMO...

Zach is very good...he is also in the latter part of his contract and his career, which makes his salary higher...He is getting paid for being as good as he was the last 5 years, not necessarily as good as he is right now...that is the way of the salary cap/contracts in the NFL...Zach is also a product of the defensive scheme (not taking away anything from his ability). That means he has been worth more to our team than he would have in other schemes. He is getting comensurate pay for what he does for us...under Saban's scheme, who knows yet...

Back
Top Bottom