Should we play Tua this yr???? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should we play Tua this yr????

I'm looking forward to seeing Tua sling the pigskin in a Dolphin uniform, but I'm for not playing him this year.

4 or 5 new starters on OL, including two rookies without the normal off-season to prepare and build cohesion seems foolish to play him this year.

I'm in it for the long haul with Tua so no need to rush. A legitimate argument can be made it helped Rodgers and Mahomes careers, it certainly didn't hurt their careers.

Who cares what fans want? Fans are notoriously wrong and would throw in backups 99% of the time.
Let them do their process. They understand getting your QB killed and turned into Derek Carr does no one any good.

Think long term folks. Think long term

This isn’t about ego, it’s about how Flores is wired, it’s about what Fitz accomplished last year with that roster, it’s about strengthening, its About what Fitz could teach Tua about Gaileys system, considering he knows it very well, also, an injury being cleared by doctors is different then being at 100 strength and functionality..

imo you let Fitz take the team as far as he can this year, and if and when the team is out of contention you make the switch.

This isn’t about ego, it’s about how Flores is wired, it’s about what Fitz accomplished last year with that roster, it’s about strengthening, its About what Fitz could teach Tua about Gaileys system, considering he knows it very well, also, an injury being cleared by doctors is different then being at 100 strength and functionality..

imo you let Fitz take the team as far as he can this year, and if and when the team is out of contention you make the switch.

As I and others have said, RF played great the end of '19 and the players remember that. They remember the broken plays he saved and the games he won. He has their confidence. Doesn't mean TT isn't better, but that's a lot of hx he has to overcome in addition to displaying better talent. I'm in the camp this year I'd like to see him play, but not til games 6-10 UNLESS he plays so well in PS he's the obvious starter.

To me, there are two schools of thought. 1) Start TT ASAP and get him experience. 2) Hold him back a while, let him learn, and let the OL gel. My position is Flo will let him sit awhile, given the above caveat.

We didn't draft him at 5 to sit on the bench, that said more data is needed to make an informed decision. This is by no means a normal start to a normal year where he would be out throwing to the starting receivers trying to get familiar with how they like to run there routes, don't believe any video teleconference will help him there.

Is it three, four or even five new starters on the offensive line that will need time to even resemble an NFL offense line, more than likely we will run more than I think we would like to this year.

How far is Tua away from being 100% healthy? you definitely want him to play to get some experience but you don't want him taking a beating either.

So more data is needed to make an informed decision on when Tua should play.

It will be more than interesting to see how all the new players the free agents and the draft picks play, so many question and no answers until they do play.

I'm looking forward to seeing Tua sling the pigskin in a Dolphin uniform, but I'm for not playing him this year.

4 or 5 new starters on OL, including two rookies without the normal off-season to prepare and build cohesion seems foolish to play him this year.

I'm in it for the long haul with Tua so no need to rush. A legitimate argument can be made it helped Rodgers and Mahomes careers, it certainly didn't hurt their careers.

The only reason Rodgers sat for so long was because he was playing behind a Hall Of Famer in Favre. Otherwise he would have probably started from day 1. Mahomes probably could have started from day 1 but Reid respected Alex Smith and gave him one more year as the starter with the Chiefs before parting ways with him. There are also success stories with QB's coming in their first year and starting right away. Guys like Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott, Deshaun Watson, and even Kyle Murray. So it goes both ways when it comes to the right decision when to start a rookie QB.

I'd ask myself three questions before starting him:

1) Is he recovered fully enough to not jeopardize his long term prospects (yes I know there are no guarantees but that was a nasty injury and I don't rush him back)
2) Has he earned it on the practice field and in the QBs room
3) Has the OLine solidified to the point that it's not akin to human sacrifice to start a rookie

Exactly my line of thinking. You don't just force him on the field.

1. If proven he has not fully recovered, it makes it twice as dangerous he does more or worse damage.

2. If he has not earned it, then he still has plenty to learn, putting him out there just because of who he is will not help him learn faster, but because he is thinking more then reacting, he could get injured.

3. Most important, putting a young QB back there to learn the position in the NFL is tough enough, with more then enough pressure, but if the line is still garbage...Forget about him coming back from injury, even the healthiest of players is getting killed back there.

Last edited:
We didn't draft him at 5 to sit on the bench,
We drafted him at 5 to be our long term, all pro answer tot he most position in football.

Sitting on the bench for a season or not never played into the decision.

I’m no doctor but I’m pretty sure broken bones don’t take 12 months to heal. The injury shouldn’t be a factor other than conditioning which I would bet he’s already been workin on fairly hard.
I’m not in a hurry and any QB can benefit from sitting but i expect him to play well enough that it will be difficult to keep him off the field. The players will see it and Coach Flo will stick to his philosophy of starting the guy that gives the team the best chance to win. It will be surprising to not see him out there before Halloween, IMO.

You start him when he wins the the starting job. Just picking some arbitrary week doesn't make sense, nor does holding him off until next year if he is ready to play this year.

TFK

Assuming he’s healthy...the next prerequisite would be the O-line becoming stable...if it’s not stable I would sit him.
Weather u got all star oline or not u still going get sack and hit..

Fitz starts pretty much no matter what, Tua's time will come this year, but he is not starting game 1. Especially after an injury.

Make sure hes healthy and make sure his O-Line isnt a revolving door. That's a good combo to start. Then I will be alot happier.

Yes, in garbage time late in the season, just like KC did with Mahomes. It takes the pressure off of Tua in 2021 because he's already had his debut, his first hit, his first completion, and probably his first INT and TD. It lets him get those anxious thoughts out of his head and concentrate on preparation in the 2021 pre-season. Then, in 2021, he plays. Hopefully by then we will have solidified our OL.

Back
Top Bottom