Should we play Tua this yr???? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should we play Tua this yr????

It was okay to throw Rosen out there and what did we gain.
I’ve noticed posters from the past saying that this is an excuse, now there saying it’s a legitimate excuse.
The Dolphins oline has been historically bad for years and for years it’s been said it’s because of the QB.

I think last year was an outlier even by the Dolphins' standards. You look at the numbers around QB pocket time and its got to be up there with some of the worst in history. Tannehill had to put up with some garbage in his time but nothing at that level.

To me the Rosen experience should offer good insight into what not to do with Tua. What did this team learn about Rosen by throwing him out there? About all you could gain from his short stint was that he played poorly in impossible conditions. That's not something that's vital to know in year one of Tua's tenure. While it would be great if he was Joe Montanta even Joe wasn't Joe until he had a couple years under his belt. Initially the objective is for him to be a competent QB capable of leading a good team, preferably not getting killed in the process.

This argument is epic and pointless. Its a beat horse if you ask me seeing as the evaluation process is currently stalled until T.C. begins... I want to see Tua play this season but I don't think he will start the season.

Who cares what fans want? Fans are notoriously wrong and would throw in backups 99% of the time.
Let them do their process. They understand getting your QB killed and turned into Derek Carr does no one any good.

Think long term folks. Think long term
I think the point of there being a fan forum of a team is for us to voice our thoughts like you just voiced yours.

With that said, you are correct in that our thoughts don't matter. They largely never have. Flores is going to do whatever he thinks is best for the team and if we don't like it we can go jump off a bridge. When he knows Tua is the best chance to win games over Fitz in he will go. Could be week 2 could be next year who knows. Until then, we can just keep debating it on here to pass the time.

I think he should sit at least the first few weeks. Let the line gel. Main thing is the line needs to be solid before we put him out there. Now if we are 3-0 or 4-0 then obviously you don’t change a thing which I don’t see happening. If we are 1-2 or 1-3 or worse and the line is playing good.... then I’d put him out there. Never know guys could rally behind him

When dolphins sign Fitzpatrick..that may have been bad thing in my book..I would love see Rosen started this yr..

If I am Flores there is one thing I need to know about Tua. That is do I have my QB of the future. It is up to Flores to decide how to determine that. I would not want to go into the 2021 season not knowing if I had my QB situation solved.

I'm of the frame of mind that you don't really know until Tua performs under real live conditions in games that matter.

Fitzpatrick gives the coaches the best ability to evaluate all of the new faces. 100% even if Tua looks the part in training camp, you roll with Fitz to start the season.

After that, if Tua is healthy, beats out Rosen, and the O-line is in decent shape I think you have to start him. If Tua looks better as a rookie than Rosen despite him being in the league for 2 more years and a full year with the team, it would be a pretty horrible indictment on Rosen. At that point Rosen becomes a straight up cut candidate and we'd go to the PS for our 3rd stringer.

Anybody who will give you a definite answer is just guessing. I think there’s many factors to this decision. Such as how does Tua look vs Fitzpatrick. How does the line look and maybe even are the playoffs on the line. You can’t answer yet

The question was should we play him but if you could tell me how the line plays then that’s much easier to say. If the line is average to above average heck yes I play Tua. I believe he’ll be better day one then Fitzpatrick. But again the line has to look solid enough

Like any other player, if he's healthy and wins the job, he should start.

Not necessarily with a QB. The benefits a QB can get from an offense that has gelled a little bit are massive. Even veterans benefit from this. Look at what Matt Moore did in 2016 (didn't miss a beat and actually scored more than Tannehill) versus what Matt Moore did in 2017 when coming into a Cutler offense that had been garbage all year (nothing). The offensive line is going to have a bunch of new starters. They won't be used to communicating with each other. The play callers won't have an honest evaluation of how the line is going to protect and what the skill position players are doing. Give them a chance.

Sometimes it makes sense to start a rookie QB week one if the rest of the QB room isn't talented or productive and the offense at least has some stability. We have a viable veteran QB and have an incredibly volatile system right now. Plus Tua's health concerns and the reality that this will be the most trying offseason to learn at least since the lockout and maybe ever.

Back
Top Bottom