Should Xavien be traded for draft capital? | Page 29 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should Xavien be traded for draft capital?

Im pretty sure he misssed games after he got paid.
He played all 16 last year which was after he got paid. I think the premise was a lot of guys dog it after they get their money. He didn’t do that.

He played all 16 last year which was after he got paid. I think the premise was a lot of guys dog it after they get their money. He didn’t do that.

He was paid before last season when he played 16 games. I’m pretty sure he signed that contract prior to last season.

X does dog it. He plays hard in certain instances. Most players do. Very few players truly go hard from whistle to whistle

Cheating?

I can't dismiss all their accomplishments but there are several seasons where they have giant asterisks next to their achievements....

True, and they have no one to blame but themselves. The one exception is the "deflate gate" where the referees did not know enough about how cold weather changes pressure and were unable to make meaningful measurements. This is basic high school science I'm talking about. What was worse, when they had two pressure gauges that gave different results, they used the lower reading gauge to measure all of New England's footballs and the higher reading Gauge on just two of the opposing teams footballs. They did not do this at room temperature, but outside in the rain and cold. Those ref's should have been fired out of hand.

This was all shown in the report the NFL released. Those guys doing the testing were IDIOTS!

Let's debunc why we should pay X.
Health
First we want to win and he is not Tom Brady who wants to win bad enough to work tirelessly in the offseasons to stay healthy as his past history has shown.
Team
Second again he is noTom Brady who wants to win bad enough to take less so his team mates can take more so his team can win.
Underpaid
Third X is no different than any other athlete on this planet for the past thousand years rich or poor has chosen some sport to put their body at risk to achieve to become the best at their skill set.
Why should we pay him.
First Great player skill set.
Last year was his best performance ever.
Second time is running out for X
X like all of us has a expiration date on his career before he either gets to retire or choose another career path.
Third money
The owners contracts are unfairly biased compared to the players.

So choose you side.
Thanks for pointing this out. I’m amazed how everyone is stuck on honor your contract blah blah. I love my Phins but what they did to Van Noy, Lawson and Ereck Flowers this off-season was not cool considering they contracts last year but it’s a business and I get it. We can apply the same thing to X he signed a contract but hey there’s an old saying s*** happens. With that said let’s stop having one sided conversations about contracts unless we start hold teams more accountable.

Thanks for pointing this out. I’m amazed how everyone is stuck on honor your contract blah blah. I love my Phins but what they did to Van Noy, Lawson and Ereck Flowers this off-season was not cool considering they contracts last year but it’s a business and I get it. We can apply the same thing to X he signed a contract but hey there’s an old saying s*** happens. With that said let’s stop having one sided conversations about contracts unless we start hold teams more accountable.
Can I get a bit more from you about why 'what they did to these plays was not cool'?

Lawson was traded, and the other two got all of their money... so I'm confused; are you saying that we should have kept them?

I’m not sure I understand the problem with this situation. X signed a contract with the company he works for. If he chooses to not play, the company has the right to not pay him. If I was the CEO of that company, I’m simply riding this out with X. I’m not going to automatically hang up if another company comes calling and offers up compensation to take the employee off my hands given his resistance to fulfilling the contract he signed, but I’m not giving in and enhancing this guys contract further.

I often hear the contrast in these situations that a team has the ability to cut a guy at any point in their contract. This is true for the NFL and almost any other industry in the US (big exception being union run industries, especially teachers). Why is that a problem? It’s the company’s right to make decisions in the best interest for its shareholders. If that means letting someone go or cutting a player before their contract ends, that’s their prerogative. The main difference between the NFL and other industries, is that these players have guarantees in their contracts that surpass almost any other industry. I don’t feel bad for a guy that got cut, but also earned $6M for their 4 year career. I know I could make $6M last for my lifetime. These players just need to be smarter with their money.

He was paid before last season when he played 16 games. I’m pretty sure he signed that contract prior to last season.

X does dog it. He plays hard in certain instances. Most players do. Very few players truly go hard from whistle to whistle
Wait. Last season is after he got paid. Meaning, he got paid, then injured for most of 2019 and then had a career year. That doesn’t fit the mold of playing well until you get your second contract, then never playing up to the level that earned the contract in the first place. Many players have done the latter. X not so much.

If X gets another raise for one All Pro season do the MD get a refund for each of the games he missed during the previous 3 years? Asking for a friend.

Can I get a bit more from you about why 'what they did to these plays was not cool'?

Lawson was traded, and the other two got all of their money... so I'm confused; are you saying that we should have kept them?
First when a player signs a contract they choose to play for that club in that particular city, being shipped off to another city and up rooting your family can bring stressful. Flowers is a hometown kid that was happy to be close to his family, I’m sure he didn’t expect to be trade less than a yr later. As for Lawson you really think he wants to be in Houston? Lastly Kyle Van Noy signed a 4 y r 51 million, are you telling me that he got all of that money?? Anyways what you have to understand that in the NFL there is no such thing as a contract! Most players understand this now and use whatever leverage they have to get more guaranteed money. Also, I encourage you to watch I AM ATHLETE on YouTube with Brandon Marshall, Fre Taylor, Chad Johnson and Channing Crowder, they go in depth when about NFL contracts and how they are structured. Now as for X it sucks that he is holding out but like most of us know his value is at a all time high it will not be any higher once you take age into consideration and you can’t convince he will get a raise next year considering he will be close to 30. Now if he is asking to be highest paid corner then he needs to be moved, however if he asking to be highest paid corner on his team then Miami should accommodate him. If you’re going to move on you we will have to replace is production and I don’t see any of our concerns getting 10 INT combined!

If X gets another raise for one All Pro season do the MD get a refund for each of the games he missed during the previous 3 years? Asking for a friend.
Theoretical question: Should a factory worker who got a raise in the last 2 years return money to the business if they're hurt on the job?

Asking for a friend...

First when a player signs a contract they choose to play for that club in that particular city, being shipped off to another city and up rooting your family can bring stressful. Flowers is a hometown kid that was happy to be close to his family, I’m sure he didn’t expect to be trade less than a yr later. As for Lawson you really think he wants to be in Houston? Lastly Kyle Van Noy signed a 4 y r 51 million, are you telling me that he got all of that money?? Anyways what you have to understand that in the NFL there is no such thing as a contract! Most players understand this now and use whatever leverage they have to get more guaranteed money. Also, I encourage you to watch I AM ATHLETE on YouTube with Brandon Marshall, Fre Taylor, Chad Johnson and Channing Crowder, they go in depth when about NFL contracts and how they are structured. Now as for X it sucks that he is holding out but like most of us know his value is at a all time high it will not be any higher once you take age into consideration and you can’t convince he will get a raise next year considering he will be close to 30. Now if he is asking to be highest paid corner then he needs to be moved, however if he asking to be highest paid corner on his team then Miami should accommodate him. If you’re going to move on you we will have to replace is production and I don’t see any of our concerns getting 10 INT combined!
You've packed an awful lot into one paragraph... let me try to answer your points, in order.

Trades: Trades are legal and have been around since professional sports began. They are lawful, and if you REALLY want to avoid being traded, then you insist upon a no-trade clause to be put into any contract that you sign. The players you list did not ask for no-trade clauses.

Van Noy: The numbers announced on any contract are misleading and always have been. This is why reputable sports news services always list the amount of guaranteed money. Any years after the guaranteed money run out are team option years that both the player and the team have agreed to, in advance.

X: You are arguing 'shoulds' rather than contract language. I might respond that X 'should' have returned money when he had a bad year or an injured year. As far as the actual contract goes, he took all the up-front money as a hedge against being injured and losing his future livelihood. He agreed to that risk and gleefully took that money. If he'd been injured, then the 'Phins would have been on the hook for every guaranteed dollar... now that the 'Phins have won that bet, he wants to Welsh on it. (I'm Welsh, I can use this slur... LOL).

I put it to you, that YOU are the one who wants this to be one-sided, with the team assuming all of the risk.

Theoretical question: Should a factory worker who got a raise in the last 2 years return money to the business if they're hurt on the job?

Asking for a friend...
Well... it's another apples and oranges comparison that has zero basis on how professional sports actually work, but...

The CBA, that the players as a whole signed, controls the rules on how this works. Trying to confuse an normal job with a sports job where injuries are actually common, to a industry job where they should not exist, is well... dishonest.

Back
Top Bottom