Should Xavien be traded for draft capital? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should Xavien be traded for draft capital?

Nothing about this X situation is going to turn out well. Flores isn't going to put up with his holdout for very long and will just replace him. The last thing anybody wants to see is a disgruntaled, pissed off, diva Corner, who shows up late in July to collect his $12 million and then becomes a 'cancer in the locker room. And, that's exactly what's going to happen. We might get 10 games out of him, if we're lucky. He has the most value right now. Trade him

Didn’t know this but supposedly he went on a podcast and said he was going to make the dolphins pay him double. Honestly this dude needs to be traded ASAP. The only player to not show up was him. He doesn’t give a **** about winning or setting an example for younger players. I’m 99% sure he will be traded and that’s unfortunate.

What makes this situation even worse is that when X goes off in his interview it lowers his trade value in 2 ways:
1. It shows he is not a team guy.
2. Other teams will know that Flores wont put up with him and thus their offers will be less.

X is basically trying to screw the Phins.

Didn’t know this but supposedly he went on a podcast and said he was going to make the dolphins pay him double. Honestly this dude needs to be traded ASAP. The only player to not show up was him. He doesn’t give a **** about winning or setting an example for younger players. I’m 99% sure he will be traded and that’s unfortunate.

You can’t just post something like that without a source. Also, I find it very unlikely the Dolphins or anyone else would pay him near what? $20M+ a year?

Nonetheless of the statement was remotely true and authentic in its meaning then X is as good as good.

After hearing him on the Man to Man Podcast say that he played last year with the idea he was (his own words) "he was going to make the dolphins pay" for signing Jones AND bringing in a 1st rd CB, that made all the difference in the world to me. He is not a dolphin first. I know it is a business and I love LOVE his talent, but sometimes it is the RIGHT 53 over the best 53. That podcast let anyone who would listen know he has not bought in and is not a team first player. I truly fear he will be a locker room cancer if he stays. His stock is as high as it will ever be. He will be a star some where else but I still say get what ya can for him and move on.

Listen to the Man to Man podcast and then tell me what ya think.
Sorry if you are not supposed to repost podcast.

Nice podcast. Thanks for posting that! I can't say that I am surprised by X's comments. He felt like us bringing in another corner and drafting a guy in the 1st was a slap in the face. Really? SMDH. Everybody is motivated by different things, I guess, and at least we can say that whatever motivates him is paying off. The dude is a damn good corner! That said, I am torn on him. I want to like him, but he's a me-first guy, and as you said, not a team-first guy. Let's say that I would never buy his jersey. I saw firsthand how he feels about Dolphin fans at the Pro Bowl experience at Disney a couple of years ago. Most of the Dolphin fans formed a huge group, so we would be easy to find, and he wouldn't even bother to come over. As far as we could see, he didn't bother to go over to any Dolphin fans. I guess he was more concerned about getting attention elsewhere rather than the fans of the team he plays for. It was sad. I have to say, though, the dude that impressed me was Jamal Adams. Now that's a dude who gives a crap about the fans. He spent a lot of time with us and really made the experience fun! He's with the Seahawks now. I know I am not alone when I say this because he made fans out of many people, but I will always be pulling for him. Except when he plays the Dolphins, of course. :-)

JamalAdams.JPG

When healthy and on the field, he is clearly a top 5 CB in the league …. Even with his stats, I don’t think he is THE best CB ….

And as I said prior to the draft, if someone wants to offer both a nice return and pay him more $$$, then rock on …

Are we better with him on the field, sure … but there is no guarantee he will be with his history and can’t have that attitude … Not 1x year after signing a lucrative contract … NOPE …. PASS …

This just confirms, it might be best to part ways. He's obviously a me first player.
I wouldn't part ways with him over this. He's entitled to his belief system, and it's not like he isn't delivering. He's arguably the best corner in the league. As much as I (we) would like it, we can't always have team-first players. Just like in our world, you are one of us until your not. :-)

Last edited:
After hearing him on the Man to Man Podcast say that he played last year with the idea he was (his own words) "he was going to make the dolphins pay" for signing Jones AND bringing in a 1st rd CB, that made all the difference in the world to me. He is not a dolphin first. I know it is a business and I love LOVE his talent, but sometimes it is the RIGHT 53 over the best 53. That podcast let anyone who would listen know he has not bought in and is not a team first player. I truly fear he will be a locker room cancer if he stays. His stock is as high as it will ever be. He will be a star some where else but I still say get what ya can for him and move on.

Listen to the Man to Man podcast and then tell me what ya think.
Sorry if you are not supposed to repost podcast.

Can you help with a time stamp on when he made those comments?

I wouldn't part ways with him over this. He's entitled to his belief system, and it's not like he isn't delivering. He's arguably the best corner in the league. As much as I (we) would like it, we can't always have team-first players. Just like in our world, you are one of us until your not. :-)

If you’re trying to build a certain culture like Flo and Co are trying to do then you have to trend carefully with X. If he’s going to be bringing that kind of thoughts to the locker room then you can’t allow that.

Just a year ago we gambled on X and made him the highest paid corner in the league. He rewarded that gamble with a Pro Bowl effort. It was not a one year contract, it was for five years and X took it. His career stats don't scream HOF to me and if you are/were the highest paid in the league at your position there should be HOF talk surrounding you...

X's stats for the five years he was in the league;
Games played: 56 of 80
Tackles: 182 with 139 solo
Passes defended: 55
INTs: 22

By comparison look at Jalen Ramsey;
Games played: 75 of 80
Tackles: 278 with 240 solo
Passes defended: 58
INT's 11

Would you trade 11 INTs for 100 more tackles and 21 more games played?
I would, a great player is useless when they are not playing.

Add in the threat to Coach Flo's locker room culture and I say trade X now, his value won't be as high next year...

I don't believe the team pays him. IMO it would set a bad precedence going forward. Other players are in their final year and are watching this closely ... imo of course...

It looks like the organization is building a "tight lipped family" approach internally and rewarding a player for demanding more money doesn't support that vision ... IF that's the attitude of the team I don't see any way he remains a Dolphin

Personally, I'm a team guy ... because of FA players come and go too quickly for me to lock onto a specific player because he may be playing for a rival soon and I am a fan of only one tam. X is a good player but not worth the toll the team would pay in the long run.

If you’re trying to build a certain culture like Flo and Co are trying to do then you have to trend carefully with X. If he’s going to be bringing that kind of thoughts to the locker room then you can’t allow that.
I agree. We do need to tread carefully. Especially redoing his contract and setting a new precedence. However, other than trade him, what can Flores really do? We don't want to amputate a foot over an ingrown toenail.

I agree. We do need to tread carefully. Especially redoing his contract and setting a new precedence. However, other than trade him, what can Flores really do? We don't want to amputate a foot over an ingrown toenail.

X strikes me as the type that will never be content with the contract he signed to play for. You better believe if they renegotiate and he has an even better season he and his agent will be right back at it again.

Have to agree with this statement, sure X is a great player and as Shula said you keep your best players. But at what point does this become a problem team wise. Flores wants players that by into his system and X is obviously not that type. He has shown over and over again that he is a me first type player, he was ecstatic when he signed his last contract but all of a sudden it's not enough? How is that being a team player? Sure he had a great year last year and that is all fine and we'll but he did sign a contract two years ago and is honourbound to abide by it. And I don't want to hear any crap about how NFL teams take no chances on these players because they do. Sure players may get hurt, or not play up to expectations but the team still has guaranteed clauses in the contracts and it all counts against the cap. That is one of the main reasons that football teams don't have dynasties, unless of course you happen to live in New England
I don't see the Shula quote as relavent. He coached in an environment with no free agency, and no salary cap, and no player's union with any power.

I Shu's day, if a player didn't show up for a mandatory session, he probably drove to the player's house, and drug him out by his ear.......lol.

No, you tear out the ingrown nail, before the infection turns into blood poisioning. Sure, it will hurt like hell, and you may limp for a couple days, but it was the right thing to do in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom