Showing Jake Long some love | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Showing Jake Long some love

Keep in mind to re sign Long it is going to be in the area of 12-14 mil per year. Now ask yourself if he is worth 10% if the cap. In my mind that's absurd to pay a guy who is rated in the bottom third of OL that money.

You're^ reaching with that number. No one knows what he will ask for or demand on the market. I cannot see Ireland/Philbin overpaying for him based on their past. They'll offer him a fair deal, probably something in the $8/mil range and hopefully settle under $10mil/year. I don't see them paying him $10+mil/year - but we won't know til it's time.

You're^ reaching with that number. No one knows what he will ask for or demand on the market. I cannot see Ireland/Philbin overpaying for him based on their past. They'll offer him a fair deal, probably something in the $8/mil range and hopefully settle under $10mil/year. I don't see them paying him $10+mil/year - but we won't know til it's time.
I think its reasonable to think that Jake is going to start the negotiation at his present salary of 12 mil. It's not areach to expect someone not to take a paycut. Franchising him boosts his one year salary to 15 mil.

Even you hope they settle at under 10. Don't hold your breath.

The Patriots have the 8th best run blocking offensive line and are 1st in pass blocking so far this
season according to http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

The collective salaries of every offensive lineman on New England this season is $15,490,760
that's 9 players making that money

While Jake Long MAKES $12,800,000 or 82.6% of the 9 New England offensive lineman COMBINED

Mankins...7 million
Connolly...2.33 mill
Solder...1.94 mill
Wendell 950k
Cannon 531k
Aiken...465k
Thomas..750k
McDonald...540k
Vollmer...980k

I'd rather use that 12.8 million on a few playmakers

I cant see this franchise continue to over pay Long
He'd be lucky to get 1/2 his current salary but I'm sure they'll
be some GM throwing absurd money his way I just hope it's not
our GM.

Jake Long will be franchised. We are not going to draft a LT in the first round next year over a WR.

That's what I think they will do. Take a one year hit but no long term deal and put it on Jake to EARN it next year. Worked pretty well with Big Paul.

There is no reason to let him walk, you don't get better by letting Pro bowl players walk, unless we have a pro bowl talent coming in I say keep him

He wont be here next season.

If he asks for a ridiculous amount, I agree, but if he is level headed enough to work with the Dolphins, expect to see his jersey for a long time.

Jake has not been close to the player he was before the injuries, but the guy still is a quality linemen, and if a GM allows quality players to leave your team, soon he will be out of a job himself.

There is no reason to let him walk, you don't get better by letting Pro bowl players walk, unless we have a pro bowl talent coming in I say keep him

This is the reason why New England is so good. They get rid off overpayed and overrated "probowlers" to find young weapons that cost less and have lots of potential. Of course to do this you have to hit on draft day and have several good picks, the last one is checked, now we just need to pray for our draft guru to make good decisions.

Jake Long is costing us at least a solid WR, a solid CB and a rotational pass rusher.

BRO ,we have a LT on the team as we speak thats not named Jake Long , its Martin and IF we need to move him bk to his org poss then we can find a RT alot easier than we can a LT imo. but lets hope Long sucks it up and plays like a pro bowl LT that we know he can and takes a discount , atleast around 8-9 mil a year ,so we can sign some BIG TIME PLAYERS .

You sure Martin can play LT in the NFL? There is a difference between LT in College and LT in the NFL. Right now Jake is playing the worst he has played in his NFL career, but let's not allow the inaccurate evaluation of the people that hate Jake (just because they wanted a QB instead of a LT in 08) determine how good he is, Martin would have to be REALLY good to reach the type of LT Long can be, which is doubtful.

I do agree that on how he has played this year, Jake should not expect top money, but he is still capable of being a dominating LT, this is his worst year, the only year that you can say he is not a good linemen, he was the among the best in 08, 09, & 10, while being top 5 (when he played) in 2011.....if the asking price is right, you don't get rid of quality players.

This is the reason why New England is so good. They get rid off overpayed and overrated "probowlers" to find young weapons that cost less and have lots of potential. Of course to do this you have to hit on draft day and have several good picks, the last one is checked, now we just need to pray for our draft guru to make good decisions.

Jake Long is costing us at least a solid WR, a solid CB and a rotational pass rusher.

Hell we could only wish that CK, Slimm and Hoops were in the Draft Day war room making the picks. I'd have more confidence than I do now in addressing these "skill players" and getting a replacement OT.

New England also gave Logan Mankins a big deal last year and we'll be giving Mike Pouncey big money in 3 years (dude should well recognized as an elite interior player by then) . But you said it right, you need to hit on some of these picks and not be forced to give a guy like Brandon Marshall 10 million a year and 2 2nd rounders because you whiff on Patrick Turner, Ted Ginn, Derek Hagan, Mike Egnew, John Nalbone and a bunch of UDFA's. People believe we got great value for Vontae Davis and with him being hurt it certainly looks that way now. But you had Vontae at peanuts for the next 2 years and now you are probably forced into throwing Smith a big time deal. When you draft better you can play your hand better and we just haven't done that.

That's what I think they will do. Take a one year hit but no long term deal and put it on Jake to EARN it next year. Worked pretty well with Big Paul.

So we reward him because of his mediocre play this season and make him the highest
paid offensive lineman in the NFL next season with the franchise tag plus we expect him to play
better and earn a contract when that is exactly what Long should have done this season.

MAKES PERFECT SENSE

So we reward him because of his mediocre play this season and make him the highest
paid offensive lineman in the NFL next season with the franchise tag plus we expect him to play
better and earn a contract when that is exactly what Long should have done this season.

MAKES PERFECT SENSE

I think everybody is on board with finding another LT and using that money on a playmaker. I think everybody also remembers Colombo and the other turnstiles we have seen at the position and are just worried that even though Long hasn't been himself this season we have seen him play at high/elite levels and we've seen this GM whiff on the oline plenty of times. Ryan Tannehill showed confidence as Jake Long put in excellent work in that 2nd half. I get what you are saying . . . it is a tough choice . . . which I think will be made a bit clearer when we see Long over these next 5 games, including a rematch against Mario/Merriman and Aldon Smith/Justin Smith.

Back
Top Bottom