Shula Criticizes Johnson | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Shula Criticizes Johnson

PHINPHOURLIFE said:
dont knock JJ when he came here I was excited and was hoping to get back to superbowl form. It did not happen, but you have to admit at the time you were not bashing him. Dave took over and phuced it all up!

I didnt like the way JJ handled Marino, talking trash in the press to him, not letting him audible and basically blaming him for losses and I also didnt like that he talked trash about Shula before he got the job. I never really liked the guy, but I think I was probably a little excited when he showed up. But once the crap with Marino started I was calling for his head.

dolphinfan2k5 said:
Sort of what I was wondering, doesn't seem to classy to bash a person through the media for something many years ago. Maybe he was asked by a reporter or something.

He did it because Shula looks to the past and embraces it.

But seriously, I have a ton of respect for Shula for what he has done as a head coach don't get me wrong. But i have to agree with Jimmy Johnson. the past was nice but let's face it the perfect season was 33 years ago. you need to look at the future. that is something i believe hurt shula near the end of his career. the game was changing around him, yet he still looked to his past success and tried to keep up using outdated offensive and defensive schemes. and as far as him praising Saban already it is not warrented. unlike Shula and most people on this board i will not praise a coach that has yet to man the sidelines on sunday. if Saban draft picks pan out and the team wins than he will earn my respect. i will not just give it to him because of his potential. there have been way to many promising COLLEGE coaches that have fallen on there face recently.

DonShula84 said:
He drafted some good defensive talent cant argue with that. But he also gave us Wanny.
For which he should be castrated. we suffered, he should too.

DonShula84 said:
I didnt like the way JJ handled Marino, talking trash in the press to him, not letting him audible and basically blaming him for losses and I also didnt like that he talked trash about Shula before he got the job. I never really liked the guy, but I think I was probably a little excited when he showed up. But once the crap with Marino started I was calling for his head.

Most of JJ's handling of Marino was just about pushing buttons. JJ saw that when he slammed Dan in the press, Dan would respond by lighting up the opponent's secondary the following game to prove JJ wrong. It usually worked, but it still looked, sounded, and felt bad to have anyone talk about Marino that way.
Not letting Dan audible though was a huge mistake on JJs part. It took away one of Dan's most effective weapons....his years of experience in reading and recognizing defenses. All for what....to show Dan who was the boss? Stupid.

I know I'm in the minority here but I really liked Jimmy....I even liked him when he was running the show in Dallas and I HATE the Cowboys.

Shula needs to shut up here. Really. Shula has never got over the fact JJ fired his son when JJ was in Dallas.

No franchise has won games because they praised the history of a franchise! And JJ trampled the franchise history? How? When? Why? Where? Talk about a little overreaction by Don!

I'm not defending JJ here by any means. But, what the hell did Shula do the last few years of his carrer? Nothing! He was inept on every level. Wouldn't fire Olividotti. Didn't build a decent team around one of the greatest players ever.

There is enough blame to go around. A lot of blood on JJ's hands as well as on Shula's hands! There is a reason this franchise has ONLY won 1 road playoff game since the early 70's I believe! Who gets the blame for that Don?

And if I have to hear about that perfect season again, get over it already. Yes, it was a great accomplishment. Maybe the greatest, but stop clutching and grabbing at it.

godfater21 said:
He did it because Shula looks to the past and embraces it.

But seriously, I have a ton of respect for Shula for what he has done as a head coach don't get me wrong. But i have to agree with Jimmy Johnson. the past was nice but let's face it the perfect season was 33 years ago. you need to look at the future. that is something i believe hurt shula near the end of his career. the game was changing around him, yet he still looked to his past success and tried to keep up using outdated offensive and defensive schemes. and as far as him praising Saban already it is not warrented. unlike Shula and most people on this board i will not praise a coach that has yet to man the sidelines on sunday. if Saban draft picks pan out and the team wins than he will earn my respect. i will not just give it to him because of his potential. there have been way to many promising COLLEGE coaches that have fallen on there face recently.

Again, evaluating the past is pure subjective and I'm sure everyone is partially correct and part bonkers. My take is quite a bit different from yours.

Basically I think Shula was a hard working coach who lacked great insight or personnel evaluation. He was fine until extremely sharp minds like Walsh and Gibbs came into the league as head coaches. When the game changed to much bigger and more athletic linemen and linebackers in the early '80s Shula was caught napping for years and never really adjusted. I knew we were doomed before the '84 Super Bowl when Bill Walsh basically ripped Miami's defensive personnel before the game, emphasizing they were small and not quick. You almost never hear a head coach be that blunt before a big game, especially against a legend like Don Shula.

But it could not have been more accurate. While the NFC brutes were stocking up on the Hogs, or Lawrence Taylor and Carl Banks, or Richard Dent and Mike Singleton, or Fred Dean and Michael Carter, the AFC pantyhose passing teams fresh off the '83 draft were drafting dainty WRs to go with their QBs and DBs to cover the WRs. When one conference evolves via muscle and the other via finesse you are rewarded with a decade+ of marvelous Super Bowl massacres.

Shula never ran the ball enough in the Marino era, which drove me nuts. But he drafted so poorly you can't tell how much of that was design, how much was strategic flaw, and how much was necessary default to the one weapon you had -- Marino's right arm. Older coaches tend to become lazier and rely on the passing game more than in their earlier years. The running game requires physically moving massive humans out of the way. Passing is dinking it over their head. You have seen the same thing at FSU, ever predictable. Bowden used to run much more frequently and out of power sets when he was younger. Now it's we're FSU and the shotgun and little else.

It's actually remarkable to look at Shula's personnel acquisition record with the Dolphins. Everything in the first couple of years was magic, like picking up Morrall and Langer and Warfield and Keuchenberg. Then it dramatically falls off even while the glory years were in midstream. You had draft picks like Mike Kadish and Chuck Bradley and Darryl Carlton, then waiving players who became stars like Leon Gray and Gary Fencik. With rare exceptions we have drafted horridly when you evaluate 30+ years, making the franchise won-loss record kind of incredible.

Johnson is to put it mildly a bum. If it wasn't for the vikings giving him every draft pick from that trade he would have nothing. Don knows about the tradition and what it means to the fin fans and the organization. You don't mess with that.

JJ IS A BUM dont care how many rings he has ...just bc of that h. walker deal and NO salary cap big deal .....yeah yeah he got us some good players but we still havent done anything in a long time asa far as gettin back to the SB and im not sticking up for jj but if shula was so upset at him and how he ran this team why didnt he just come back ..i hope he does

DonShula84 said:
But he also gave us Wanny.

I must admit I had high hopes for JJ but this fact has turned me off completely to him.To me I lump JJ with Wanny now and consider this era as the low point of Dolphin history.They dont hold a candle to Shula.

Awsi Dooger said:
Basically I think Shula was a hard working coach who lacked great insight or personnel evaluation. He was fine until extremely sharp minds like Walsh and Gibbs came into the league as head coaches. When the game changed to much bigger and more athletic linemen and linebackers in the early '80s Shula was caught napping for years and never really adjusted.

If we subscribe to this line of logic, we should all agree that Shula must have been the luckiest guy in the world. Without having a "sharp mind" he managed to win more games than any coach. He did this with a running game in the 70s, a passing game with Marino, and got us to another SB with defense and the killer Bs. He did this and had winning seasons almost every year of his fins career.

Wow. That is some luck isn't it. Imagine how many more victories he would have had if he had a "sharp mind."

So let's see:

Bad.
JJ bashed Don
JJ bashed Marino
JJ quit on the team he was building
JJ bashed the history that makes this franchise
JJ gave us Wanny
JJ never got us a ring

Good.
He drafted extremely well on defense.

Don was probably just taking a shot at JJ for spoiling the franchise. Maybe Don shouldn't have retired while Marino was still the QB. That's pretty lame now that I look back at it.

Heres how I look at this.

No coach takes over a franchise that doesnt have the former coaches fingerprints all over it. When Johnson took over for Shula, the Dolphins WERE Shula. I agree that Shula was loyal to a big fault. Yet you cannot agrue with sucess (All-Time most victories) in Shulas corner. Also, no matter HOW Johnson won two Super Bowls with the Cowboys, he won them. So, he had his sucess also. What happened here is that Johnsons hands were tied when he wanted to get rid of Marino right away and start fresh with a younger QB that he would have full control of. Ownership said no. That was the only thing that he was not allowed to do. Hell, he even brought over a new director for the cheerleading squad from Dallas.
Those years are what really prevented Johnson from having a real shot at building the franchise in his vision. Dan and Jimmy were connected at the hip and would win together or lose together. During the years that Jimmy coached the Dolphins, the rest of the NFL had long since figured out his offensive and defensive philosophies. Wanny was in Chicago, and Norv was in Washington, so everyone got to see the coaching team diluted. Once that happens, they figure you out and you had better have something new. Jimmy didnt.
Shula does have every right to say whatever he wants to about the Dolphins and Jimmy. As does every former player, coach, and even the fans. Shula carries more weight with me because for alot of years, he WAS the Dolphins to me.

Back
Top Bottom