Shula in Conference Championship Games | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Shula in Conference Championship Games

For the most part, since the salary cap was put into effect, we haven't seen many Super Bowl blowouts either.

That was common prior to that change.

Don't know if Shula could have matched what we've seen from Bellicheck, but I do believe he would have had more championships than two.
Almost any coach could match Bellicheck if they had the opposing team's signals and Ernie Adams breaking them down for them. Cheating nullifies any win in any sport or game.

Shula’s final ten seasons were not great. Averaged just under 9 wins a season, won the division only twice, missed the playoffs in 6 of those ten seasons, and won just one non-wildcard playoff game during that span— with one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game.

Marino fell apart in big games a lot. Throwing games away gun slinging. Taking a lot of high risk plays. The whole he never had a RB was overblown because we were shitty drafters to begin with.

Marino fell apart in big games a lot. Throwing games away gun slinging. Taking a lot of high risk plays. The whole he never had a RB was overblown because we were ****ty drafters to begin with.

Dan Marino was problem 99 on the Dolphins teams from 1986-1995. When he goes out and throws for almost 500 yards and 6 TDs and the team loses, that’s not on him. When the Dolphins play at Buffalo in January and score 34, only to lose by 10, that’s not because Marino played awful. When not a single RB does any better somewhere else than they did on the Dolphins, that’s not because Marino ruined them, it was because they weren’t any good to begin with.

Dan Marino didn’t put together the late 80s/90s teams, Shula did. And when you have prime Dan Marino and the best you can do is get to 8-8, or back into a wildcard, you’ve done a poor job.

Dan Marino was problem 99 on the Dolphins teams from 1986-1995. When he goes out and throws for almost 500 yards and 6 TDs and the team loses, that’s not on him. When the Dolphins play at Buffalo in January and score 34, only to lose by 10, that’s not because Marino played awful. When not a single RB does any better somewhere else than they did on the Dolphins, that’s not because Marino ruined them, it was because they weren’t any good to begin with.

Dan Marino didn’t put together the late 80s/90s teams, Shula did. And when you have prime Dan Marino and the best you can do is get to 8-8, or back into a wildcard, you’ve done a poor job.
Bellicheck has had some bad drafts, but was able to make up for that somewhat in free agency. Maybe Shula would have done the same?

As to not winning a title with Dan Marino, that is my biggest disappointment as a Miami Dolphin fan.

Giving some respect to one of the greatest coaches in NFL history. Shula was 6-2 in conference championship games, including his time in Baltimore.

Here's the list....

1968 34-0 Baltimore over Cleveland
1972 21-0 Miami over Baltimore
1973 21-17 Miami over Pittsburgh
1974 27-10 Miami over Oakland
1983 14-0 Miami over NY Jets
1985 45-28 Miami over Pittsburgh
1986 31-14 New England over Miami
1993 29-10 Buffalo over Miami

Shula's teams outscored their opponents 186-115 in those eight games, including three shutouts. In his first six conference championships, Shula's teams outscored their opponents 162-55.
I was at his last one Against Buffalo, what a miserable Day, and a long ass drive back to Virginia, was also Dolphins last appearance in a Conference Championship Game, just unbelievable really.

I agree. There is lots of romanticism regarding Shula's last years with the Dolphins. They were incredibly frustrating years. The defense was horrific and rarely did they have even a serviceable RB.

Bellicheck has had some bad drafts, but was able to make up for that somewhat in free agency. Maybe Shula would have done the same?

As to not winning a title with Dan Marino, that is my biggest disappointment as a Miami Dolphin fan.
Shula had a chance with free agency. I remember one year the team had something like 18 former first round picks and of course a lot of those were players they got in free agency and I believe we didn't make the playoffs. I loved coach Shula but he had a lot of bad drafts and plenty of free agents miss tho he did well with some of them like Irving Fryar and Keith Byars.

As far as him coaching in today's NFL.......his style would not fit with the way players are now imo.

Giving some respect to one of the greatest coaches in NFL history. Shula was 6-2 in conference championship games, including his time in Baltimore.

Here's the list....

1968 34-0 Baltimore over Cleveland
1972 21-0 Miami over Baltimore
1973 21-17 Miami over Pittsburgh
1974 27-10 Miami over Oakland
1983 14-0 Miami over NY Jets
1985 45-28 Miami over Pittsburgh
1986 31-14 New England over Miami
1993 29-10 Buffalo over Miami

Shula's teams outscored their opponents 186-115 in those eight games, including three shutouts. In his first six conference championships, Shula's teams outscored their opponents 162-55.
I didn't realize Shula was 6-0 in conference games up until 1986. I went to the 1986 and 1993 conference championships. I'm beginning to think I was a jinx.

I think in ‘82 Strock stayed on the bench almost - if not - the entire year. That said, I recall pining for him to come in sometime in the 3rd quarter. Especially after Duhe picked off Theisman at the Skins 40. Even if we had gotten 3 there it may have ended differently. By the time the 4th came around we just didn’t get enough at bats and missed our window to put Strock in. I do think that was a missed opportunity as while the Skins were the better team, perhaps we steal the game. And we definitely steal it if Theisman doesn’t make the best DEFENSIVE play of the game. People don’t talk about it enough but a QB chasing down a would be pick 6 and playing pass defense to save the SB? Easily the best play he made all game.
That Super Bowl is my #1 all time sickest loss, and that Theisman play is the reason.
I will never forgive Joe Theismann for that. Ever. EVER.

Shula had a chance with free agency. I remember one year the team had something like 18 former first round picks and of course a lot of those were players they got in free agency and I believe we didn't make the playoffs. I loved coach Shula but he had a lot of bad drafts and plenty of free agents miss tho he did well with some of them like Irving Fryar and Keith Byars.

As far as him coaching in today's NFL.......his style would not fit with the way players are now imo.
That was 1995, Shula's last year- he brought in Gary Clark, Steve Emtman I think, traded for Trace Armstrong, brought Louis Oliver back. Wasn't that also the year for that TE bust from Pittsburgh, Green? Was it Eric Green? I forget his first name.
We did make the playoffs at 9-7 but went to Buffalo and got trounced.

I didn't realize Shula was 6-0 in conference games up until 1986. I went to the 1986 and 1993 conference championships. I'm beginning to think I was a jinx.
Nah, it was the defense that was the jinx. You're off the hook!

Back
Top Bottom