Shula in Conference Championship Games | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Shula in Conference Championship Games

That 1991 season we gave away so many games. The sammie smith fumble game at goaline to win it
the lions games we were on 5 yard line after a pick from our d tackle Shawn Lee. We couldn't get it in the endzone and Lee got tackled on play and was out for the year. The jets game taking the lead with under a min to go. ugh
The team went from 8-8 in 1989 to 12-4 in 1990. They slipped in 1991 and still haven't gotten back to 12 regular season wins. And it's been over 30 years!

The 90s teams were at least competitive. In 1990, they were either the second or third best team in the conference. In 1992, they were likewise a legitimate SB contender. 1994 as well. Almost certainly those teams lose in the SB, but the late 80s teams couldn't even make the playoffs. The JJ teams were barely playoff teams. And they were at no point legitimate contenders. They were badly, badly exposed in the second round. The 90s Shula teams didn't go down without a fight in the first two rounds (except that 1995 team that got blown off the ball in Buffalo). The 1992 AFC championship was mighty disappointing though.

That said, I nominate 1991 as one of the worst seasons under Shula. That was a team poised to make a move after 1990 and they go a pathetic 8-8 and let the lowly Jets beat them at home to take the final playoff spot.
I always felt like 1994 was Marino's last chance. But, I agree, hard to imagine that team beating SF in the super bowl.

Don't forget the World Football League...they took a lot of our core players or we would have several more superbowls.
Will never forget. Hated that move for a league that didn't last.

I always felt like 1994 was Marino's last chance. But, I agree, hard to imagine that team beating SF in the supe

Don't forget the World Football League...they took a lot of our core players or we would have several more superbowls.
I wasn't around for that but it seems if we wouldn't lost those players to the other league we might have been team of decade and not the steelers

Shula's last 6 years:
59-37 (0.615 winning %) {roughly averaged a 10-6 record}
2 division titles
3 playoff wins
1 AFC championship game appearance

Last 25 years:
195-205 (0.488 winning %)
2 division titles
3 playoff wins

Substandard? Probably for Shula. Of course, it's also the "glory years" of the last 30 for this franchise.

Will never forget. Hated that move for a league that didn't last.
The WFL lasted one year. Not much Joe Robbie could do. He couldn't match what Csonka, Kiick and Warfield were being offered. I remember on 'The Perfect Backfield', Csonka said the offer was on the table and if they didn't take it right then, the offer was off. About killed him when he had to tell Shula. I remember we were pretty beat up that '74 Season and finished 11-3. We probably would've won one more SB had we beat Oakland, as Pittsburgh's first SB team had zero offense except for Franco. Bradshaw stunk and Swann and Stallworth were just rookies who weren't even starters yet. But, it is what is, that 'Sea of Hands' game will always be the most painful loss for me as a Dolphins fan. I was friggin' 8, I'm 55 now, but I can remember that game so clearly.

I wasn't around for that but it seems if we wouldn't lost those players to the other league we might have been team of decade and not the steelers

Miami had a shot in 1975 and 1977. Both of those Dolphins teams went 10-4, but missed the playoffs.

If Csonka, Warfield and Kiick were still on the team, who know? That '75 team had a 10-7 loss to Baltimore and a 20-19 loss to Houston. Have to think a 12-2 season could have happened had Miami not lost those three to the World Football League.

The Steelers were really hitting their stride in 1975 so getting past them would have been extremely tough.

In 1977, Denver had the Orange Crush defense, but the Broncos were beatable.

Anyway, would have, could have, should have. Impossible to know what might have been.

Back
Top Bottom