SI AFC East Preview | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

SI AFC East Preview

mikethewreck

Just a fan...
Reaction score
MIAMI DOLPHINS

What the Dolphins do best: Everything.

This is not to say that Miami does everything exceedingly well; more that they appear to be very solid, in all areas, without any particularly outstanding strengths. On offense, the offseason trade for former Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall -- who is just 26, and who last season became the fifth player ever to catch 100 balls in three consecutive seasons -- and the continued development of quarterback Chad Henne, whom the Dolphins seem to revere and trust as much as any second-year starting quarterback can be revered and trusted, should pay dividends. It'll likely elevate the passing game to a level that approaches that of the Ronnie Brown- and Ricky Williams-led rushing attack, which was last season the NFL's fourth-most productive.
"Our main focus is still the run game," says Henne, "but we definitely put in some plays that are attacking down the field." There is also little doubt that a remade defense -- one that ought to feature six new starters -- will be much better than last season's unit, which ranked a disappointing 22nd overall and was the central reason the Dolphins were unable to build upon their surprising 2008 AFC East title.

Predicted record: 9-7.

Though their personnel is rather different, this Dolphins team in many ways resembles that '08 AFC champion. It looks to be a grinding group that won't blow anyone out, but it has the anchors in place -- in Henne, in Marshall, in Pro Bowl left tackle Jake Long, in all those young defenders -- to initiate a sustained run of success, starting this year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ben_reiter/08/31/afc.east.preview/index.html?eref=sihp

The article also cited that Miami needed most to improve D and that Misi was the guy who had to step it up.

They picked the NYJ to take the division and put us on the same pedestal with the Patsies. I thought 3-13 for the Bills was harsh, they may surprise some folks this year. All in all, for what we have seen in preseason, not too bad a take on the Phins. Now let's see how reality plays out...

If its anything like the 2008 team i will be happy, but i dont think i can survive through another season like that.
Last year almost gave me a heart attack especially that first jets game,but thats why we watch every week.

9 win team is what I see as of right now. To much youth on D and the learning curve associated with it will be the difference in most games.

Everyone seems to have the magic 7-9 number in their head, but I agree more with this assessment. Too many improvements for us to be stuck where we were last year. The slightly better schedule itself should net us 2 more wins than last year.

I see 10-6 or 11-5. 9-7 seems a bit low to me. And I think Buffalo can pull off 6 or 7 wins, with hopefully at least one or two of those against the Jets and Patriots and not us.

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
If its anything like the 2008 team i will be happy, but i dont think i can survive through another season like that.
Last year almost gave me a heart attack especially that first jets game,but thats why we watch every week.
We will have a lot of games like 2008, but this team will have the occasional blowout now and then.

where is this easier schedule?
new orleans - minnesota
atlanta - green bay
carolina - chicago
tampa bay - detroit

indianapolis - baltimore
houston - cincinnati
jacksonville - cleveland
san diego - oakland

pittsburgh & tennessee on the schedule again

not much difference, and most of the difficult opponets on the road this time

where is this easier schedule?
new orleans - minnesota
atlanta - green bay
carolina - chicago
tampa bay - detroit

indianapolis - baltimore
houston - cincinnati
jacksonville - cleveland
san diego - oakland

pittsburgh & tennessee on the schedule again

not much difference, and most of the difficult opponets on the road this time

I think if anything the sched might be slightly more difficult than a year ago BUT that is on paper. Things change quickly and it could end up being much easier or much more difficult.

I can live with a 9-7 season as long as

1.) We make it to the playoffs
2.) 1 of those wins are over the jets.

I was very optimistic before all the injuries, but now, I have to agree with the (9-7) crowd; BUT, I don't necessarily concede the division. There is more parity than most think and 9-7 could win it.

It is a fair assessment. They are acknowledging variable change and the fact that we have made moves to mitigate last year's issues. But new faces and a lot of youth leads to mistakes and learning curves and that is part of their 9-7 assessment. Lack of experience on D in certain areas is one of the key reasons we are an above average team and nothing more.

I think if anything the sched might be slightly more difficult than a year ago BUT that is on paper. Things change quickly and it could end up being much easier or much more difficult.

That is true. Schedules are affected by variable change and improvements and drop offs for the opponents on the schedule. On our schedule I prefer the NFC N over S. Minny takes a step back. Green Bay needs to improve what is IMHO an overrated D and a OL that needs to do a better job of protecting Rodgers. Chicago and Detroit....next. Oakland actually has a competent D and more talent on O since they last made it to SB. However, I prefer them much more over San Diego as far as being part of an easier schedule. Baltimore matches up well against us and will be an issue. Schedule is slightly better for us this year. But again that can change.

what is with all these people saying they think we r only a 9-7 team? i mean im not saying that in order to be a dolphin fan you have to think we are going 15-1 or 14 2, etc, but 9-7? thats real mediocore.

if we go 9-7, that would be extremly disappointing. last year we went 7-9 and that was without a big time number 1 wr, no playmaking linebackers, 2 rookie cbs starting, and worst of all gibirl wilson which is addition by subtraction, and henne in his first year starting getting his feet wet, and ronnie being hurt the final 8 games.

with all that, we still went 7-9, and we easily shouldve beaten the saints and colts[ yes i no every team has games like what if this, what if that, etc, but most teams dont blow a 24-3 and having the ball with 130 to go in the 2nd quarter and then turn the ball over, and most teams dont control the clock for 45 minutes in a game, so we shouldve won those games].

i just think 9-7 is way to disappointing of a record. the minn game will not be as hard now as it seemed without rice and a secondary in shambles, and the greenbay game, although there offense is dynamic, they will be missing bigbi and harris for the game at least.

bottom line, not saying we will deff win those games, but all these so called teams we play do have major flaws, and i see no reason why we cant win some of those games and finish anywhere from 10-6 to 12-4 if we avoid injuries

Back
Top Bottom