SI.com: Dolphins May Not Go RB | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

SI.com: Dolphins May Not Go RB

Buffalo Sucks

Ronnie: Find Jake. Follow Jake.
Reaction score
:eek:

From Peter King:

I am skeptical that Nick Saban, who does really like Ronnie Brown, will end up taking the Auburn running back. I think Saban thinks that's too high for a back in a draft rich with backs. I still think the Dolphins coach will mine the waters to try to find a trade partner. (Which, by the way, I think will not work, unless he makes Patrick Surtain or another trusty veteran part of the trade talks.) My guess is Cleveland is going to puzzle over this one and take the best available defensive player, unless Phil Savage and Romeo Crennel, the new brain trust, fall in love with the quarterback San Francisco and Miami do not take -- either Rodgers or Alex Smith.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/03/29/mmqbte.mail/1.html

so who is san fran/we going to take.. if we aren't going rb and a qb falls to 3 spot.

I really doubt we take a RB. there are too many good RBs that will be available in the later rounds, and Linehan has shown that he can be a miracle worker, and use a RB-by-committee with ease.

I think Saban is gonna do everything he can to trade down, possibly even waiting till 12:29 on draft day to make the trade. Otherwise, I seriously think he's gonna take a QB. unfortunately, neither Merriman or DJ are worth #2 overall

I dont believe peter king. Saban knows it takes a running back to setup the offence and I think A.J. Feeley was coming along late in the season so was the Offensive line so I think it will be the back from auburn not named after a car and i think these so-called experts dont know what the hell saban is going to do. beleive in your heart not what you hear from espn and s.i.

Miami needs a solid running back, but unfortunately we also need a QB. So what do the Dolphins do? Nobody knows except for one man, and he has a very good poker face. So hold on to your hats until the time comes.

Pickles said:
so who is san fran/we going to take.. if we aren't going rb and a qb falls to 3 spot.
Hopefully Braylon Edwards assuming we get Ricky back before the draft.

It seems like we will do one of two things. we will draft one of the QB or trade down and get more picks.

miami mayham said:
I dont believe peter king. Saban knows it takes a running back to setup the offence and I think A.J. Feeley was coming along late in the season so was the Offensive line so I think it will be the back from auburn not named after a car and i think these so-called experts dont know what the hell saban is going to do. beleive in your heart not what you hear from espn and s.i.

and I'm guessing you didnt see Minnesota play last year then? Linehan is running the offense, and he uses the pass to set up the run

Thats what I have been saying all along.As much as I like Brown its too high of a pick to take a RB.Only a QB would justify using that pick IMO.However I do think Saban will make every effort to trade down .Also I said on another thread that we should hold on to Surtain until the draft so that he could become part of a tradedown for more picks.

I mean, no doubt a runningback would by no means be a "horrible" pick, because these three RBs are really quite excellent, but I think long term, a QB would impact this team more.

Saban says first round QBs are historically about 30% on target. I think that changes when you're picking in the top 5 or 10. I hate looking at the 2004, 2003, and 2002 drafts of QBs because to be honest its still too soon to evaluate them. But, in the 10 drafts going back from 2001, there were 15 QBs taken top 15. David Klingler, Rick Mirer, Heath Shuler, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Tim Couch, and Cade McNown were the obvious busts. Drew Bledsoe, Trent Dilfer, and Kerry Collins are all up in the air as far as the "bust" term goes, but it should be noted that all three have played in Super Bowls, and Dilfer actually won one. Then you have Steve McNair, Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, Daunte Culpepper, and Mike Vick who are most definitely all-star type QBs. It should also be noted taht McNair and McNabb have super bowl appearances under their belt too. It perhaps also should be noted that Pennington was taken 18 overall, just missed my "top 15" cut-off, and he's also a pretty darn good QB. Was this a fluke 10 year patch? I don't think so. As things stand with the 2004, 2003, and 2002 classes, I think it's obvious Harrington is about to fizzle out and go the way of Couch, Carr is having a very unexciting, mixed-review "Bledsoe" type career so far, Leftwich and Palmer have both shown some serious promise, Roethlisberger looks like a stud, and we don't know jack squat about Manning and Rivers yet. Looks like about the same breakdown as the previous 10 years to me, if not better.

So, I think recent history shows that yeah, you run about a 50/50 chance of getting the wrong QB in the wrong situation and he ends up absolutely sucking. But, you also run about a 1/3rd or better chance that your guy turns out to be an absolute stud, and about a 50/50 chance overall or better of finding a QB who is at least capable of directing a Super Bowl caliber team.

As much as people lament how much of a crapshoot it is, and lament how awful it would be to waste a pick and end up with a Ryan Leaf, taking a QB in the top half of round 1 still remains the best chance in all of football at finding a stud quarterback. Take one in round 2 or 3 and your chances go from 50% to like, 6%.

Is that risk worth taking? That's up to the coach, how important the QB position is to his team. There is some credibility to the theories that when you have a QB that is TOO good, that takes up too much cap room and has too big a role in the offense, you put too many eggs in one basket and you don't win that super bowl.

DOnt forget about Ricky Williams just yet
It doesnt matter if fans or players dont want Ricky back. Saban already sed Ricky is welcome to come back now the ball is in Ricky's court now. If he knows wats good for him and has half a brain he'll come back

I dont think Ricky and another running back cud co-exist in the same offense except maybe for Benson since they r friends.
If Ricky comes back and fins decide to go booker,chambers,boston,thompson at WR and keep #2 pick we probly draft Rogers or Smith.
oR trade down for Alex Barron or Derrick Johnson and get Mcpherson or Frye if Smith and Rogers are too high.

I have always said QB would be my pick, but I want to know if Saban doesnt like Brown like King says, why does everyone else think that is who he is picking? Does Peter King really know more than NFL personell guys? This is the same guy who first reported that Saban was going to turn down Miami an hour before he took the job.

Buffalo Sucks said:
:eek:

From Peter King:

I am skeptical that Nick Saban, who does really like Ronnie Brown, will end up taking the Auburn running back. I think Saban thinks that's too high for a back in a draft rich with backs. I still think the Dolphins coach will mine the waters to try to find a trade partner. (Which, by the way, I think will not work, unless he makes Patrick Surtain or another trusty veteran part of the trade talks.) My guess is Cleveland is going to puzzle over this one and take the best available defensive player, unless Phil Savage and Romeo Crennel, the new brain trust, fall in love with the quarterback San Francisco and Miami do not take -- either Rodgers or Alex Smith.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/03/29/mmqbte.mail/1.html

This is exactly what saban wants. People doubting what he will do. Now he has massive trade bait, especially if 49'ers pick a QB.

Back
Top Bottom