Sign FA Rookie LB Roy Magee... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sign FA Rookie LB Roy Magee...

Bodzilla29

The Shiznit
Reaction score
This was posted on the Dolfan Talk board:

At last - a guy who has a good chance to make the final roster.

Magee was not invited to the combine but ran a 4.54 at 6-1.5 225 at the Southern Miss workout. He also had 20 reps at 225 pounds and had a 9 foot 7 broad jump.

From CBS Sportsline:

Player Profile
Roy Magee
Position: Outside Linebacker
College: Southern Mississippi
Height: 6-1.3
Weight: 214
Hometown: Mandeville, La.

Career Notes | Agility | High School | Personal | Stats

ANALYSIS
Positives: Intelligent player who is very effective at jamming the tight end at the line of scrimmage?Shows fluid lateral agility and the quickness to make plays wide?Has a sharp closing burst on the play-side?Breaks down properly in the open when runners change direction and has the quickness to catch the backs from behind?Goes low in his stance, extending his arms to wrap, secure and drive the opponent back on his heels?Has good field awareness dropping back in the zone?His pass drop skills and fluid backpedal could see him shift to strong safety at the pro level.

Negatives: Gets suckered out of position at times, having problems with misdirection?Will finesse rather than try to maul blockers, which results in him getting tied up by some blocks when trying to shed?Better flowing to the play-side than from behind?Drives for depth with good angle in his pass drops, but keeps his feet a little narrow handling the switch-off in the zone?Does not have natural hands for the interception.
CAREER NOTES
Impact player who has been a mainstay in the USM linebacking unit since his freshman year?Has played both strongside and weakside outside linebacker?One of the fastest players at his position in the country, he used that quickness to total 242 tackles (142 solos), 15.5 sacks for minus 126 yards and 45 stops for losses of 192 yards during his career?Only Marchant Kenney (46, 1994-97), Cedric Scott (47, 1997-2000), T.J. Slaughter (54, 1995-99) and Adalius Thomas (56, 1996-99) had more tackles behind the line of scrimmage in school history.

2001 SEASON
All-Conference USA second-team selection?Lined up at weakside outside linebacker, ranking fourth on the team with 67 tackles (43 solos) and led the squad with 12 stops for losses of 48 yards?Second on the team with 4.5 sacks for minus 33 yards?Also had three pass deflections.

* Oklahoma State - Opened the season with 7 tackles and a pair of stops for losses.

* Louisiana-Lafayette - Collected 7 hits with 2 sacks for minus 15 yards and 4 stops for losses of 18 yards.

* Alabama-Birmingham - Had a 2-yard sack and 6 hits.

* Memphis - Made 9 tackles (7 solos) and deflected a pass.

* Houston and Penn State - Registered 6 tackles in both games.

* Tulane and Louisville - Had 5 tackles in both contests.

* Texas Christian - Closed out his career with 9 tackles (8 solos), a 13-yard sack and a pass break-up.

2000 SEASON
Started the first nine games at strongside outside linebacker?Recorded 63 tackles (33 solos) with five sacks for minus 36 yards and 14 stops for losses of 57 yards?Deflected seven passes and recovered two fumbles.

1999 SEASON
Appeared in nine games, starting eight contests at strongside outside linebacker?Made 55 tackles (35 solos) with three sacks for minus 40 yards and eight stops for losses of 53 yards?Recovered two fumbles and caused another?Also had two pass deflections.

1998 SEASON
Saw action in every game, earning starts vs. Louisville and East Carolina?Recorded 57 tackles (41 solos) with three sacks for minus 17 yards and nine stops for losses of 34 yards?Also deflected three passes.

1997 SEASON
Redshirted as a freshman.

AGILITY TESTS
4.63 in the 40-yard dash?34 ½-inch vertical jump?17 Wonderlic score.
HIGH SCHOOL
Member of the New Orleans Times-Picayune's All-District 6-5A team as a kick returner after recording more than 500 yards on returns his senior year at Mandeville (La.) High?Rushed for 621 yards and 11 touchdowns while playing quarterback, despite missing three games because of an injury?Over two seasons, he recorded 126 tackles and six interceptions while playing defensive back?Returned an interception 99 yards for a touchdown?Blocked six field goal/PAT attempts in two years?Listed by the Forrest Davis Football Recruiting Annual among the "Best of the Rest" in Louisiana?Named All-District and All-Parish following his junior and senior seasons?Also an All-District selection in baseball and basketball following his junior year?Named Civics Student of the Month, Elk's Student of the Month, and St. Tammany Parish Student of the Month?Named Mr. MHS.
PERSONAL
Sports Administration major?Son of Janice Magee?Cousin to St. Louis Rams star Marshall Faulk?Born 3/11/78?Resides in Mandeville, La.
STATS
DEFENSIVE STATS
YEAR GP GS TK SO AS FR FC INT TFL PBU SACK
1998 11 02 57 41 16 0 0 0 9- 34 3 3.0- 17
1999 09 08 55 35 20 1 2 0 8- 53 2 3.0- 40
2000 09 09 63 33 30 2 0 0 14- 57 7 5.0- 36
2001 11 11 67 43 24 0 0 0 12- 48 3 4.5- 33
TOTAL 40 29 232 152 90 3 2 0 43-202 15 15.5-126

Sounds like he would fit nicely in the Dolphin's system. Hopefully he was one of the UFAs that Wanny has snatched... we will find out Thursday!

Magee, a four-year letterwinner and three-year starter, was the fourth-leading tackler for the Golden Eagles in 2001. He finished with 68 tackles, 42 assisted and 26 unassisted. He led the team in tackles for loss with 12 and was second in quarterback sacks with 4.5. He also had three pass breakups. For his career, he finished with 43 tackles for loss, fifth on the school's all-time tackles for loss chart. He also finished with 15.5 quarterback sacks, sixth on the school's all-time chart

http://www.southernmiss.com/sports/football/bio.asp?PLAYER_ID=143

he's only 214 - for a LB :eek:

remember LaCurtis Jones a few years ago - though he was a wasted 5th round pick.

it's the average score for a LB. My girlfriend just got a 31 on the wunderlic test....she is trying to get a summer job with the gov't and had to take it. funny how she didn't think i'd know what it was, hehe all this time with football is payin off.

anyway, to get the job, a "passing score" on the wunderlic was 20.

I took a sample at one site before and scored a perfect 50.

No idea, but it is 50 questions and you have to have it done in 12 minutes. Geniouses get scores of like 35, so a perfect 50 is a lilttle "strange"

The average score for lawyers and doctors and chemists are around 35.

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
did u do it in 12 minutes??

I did not time myself.

I am pretty sure that it took me more than 12 minutes, though.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
What is the site for this test?

I did it a few months ago, so I don't have the URL at the moment.

I found it using a search engine (Either Google or Metacrawler).

ya, that's one of the hardest parts of the test, knowing that you have to hurry to complete it. If you just sit down and go through it slowly, you have a very good chance of doing better. It is still impressive to get all of them right, but with the added pressure of the 12 minute time limit, few, if any people get a 50.

That is what makes it hard.

On TSN.com they had a mini wonderlic, only about 20 questions, to give us a view of some of the questions....probobly of the site now tho...

Back
Top Bottom