Since 1970.... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Since 1970....

Right. Who replaces Big Ben will be a big question for the Steelers.

I keep expecting Pittsburgh to drop off, but they keep winning. I don't think they are as good as their record indicates over the last few years.

Getting the coach and quarterback is obviously huge.

When Pburgh & Nola drop, it will be interesting.

Same for the Packers when AR12 moves on.

If you really want to get depressed, almost every team in the league has been to its Conference Championship Game since 1992, multiple times. This includes the Jets and Bills.

If you really want to get depressed, almost every team in the league has been to its Conference Championship Game since 1992, multiple times. This includes the Jets and Bills.
Nothing about this team gets me depressed any more because. . . . obviously.

But just since Miami was last in the AFC championship, all of the other teams in the division at that time (Colts, Bills, Pats, and Jets) have been to the AFC championship a minimum of two times.

The Jets in that time period have been there almost as many times as Miami has after the 70s.

And NE has more appearances in the championship game since 1992 than Miami will ever likely have.

Last edited:
Nothing about this team gets me depressed any more because. . . . obviously.

But just since Miami was last in the AFC championship, all of the other teams in the division at that time (Colts, Bills, Pats, and Jets) have been to the AFC championship a minimum of two times.

The Jets in that time period have been there almost as many times as Miami has after the 70s.

And NE has more appearances in the championship game since 1992 than Miami will ever likely have.
Yes, it's depressing.

Looking on the bright side, as bad as Miami has been since the days of Don Shula, the Dolphins are 5th in overall wins.

And, for the first time in forever, it looks promising coaching wise. I also think Tua will silence his critics.

In other words, hopefully the winning seasons and championships are coming.

Worst loss in franchise history IMO.
Unquestionably. I cried for an hour, and although I was young I was beyond the age where a sports outcome should have caused me to cry for an hour.

However, I remember countless reports of Dolphin fans saying they cried after that Oakland game. That's how devastating it was. Everyone could sense it meant the end.

The good news is that the human mind retains the older memories even as the newer ones slide away. I knew guys here can distinguish 2006 season from 2012 season from 2018 season. They all blend as meaningless to me. But I remember every game and the important details from the early '70s glory years.

Wins in the 1970's....

1. Dallas 105-39-0
2. Miami 104-39-1
3. Raiders 100-38-6
4. Minnesota 99-43-2
5. Rams 98-42-4
6. Washington 91-52

Wins in the 1980's...

1. San Francisco 104-47-1
2. Washington 97-55
3. Miami 94-57-1
4. Denver 93-58-1
5. Raiders 89-63
6. Rams 86-66

Wins in the 1990's...

1. San Francisco 113-47
2. Buffalo 103-57
3. Kansas City 102-58
4. Dallas 101-59
5. Miami 95-65
6. Minnesota 95-65

Wins in the 2000's...

1. Indianapolis 115-45
2. New England 112-48
3. Philadephia 103-56-1
4. Green Bay 95-65
5. Denver 93-67

Note: Miami was 79-81

Wins in the 2010's

1. New England 125-35
2. Green Bay 102-56
3. Pittsburgh 102-57
4. New Orleans 100-60
5. Seattle 100-59
6. Ravens 98-62

Note: Miami was 70-90

Our last 20 years have been so shitty that it makes us look like the Lions of the earlier list lol.

Timeline of our Disaster

1. Wayne Huizenga
2. Wayne Huizenga hires Jimmy Johnson (good move)
2. Jimmy Johnson recommends Wanny to destroy the team (Disaster Starts)
3. Wanny makes horrible GM moves, and horrible drafts. He was handed a good team literally,
and the only player he brought in was Ricky Williams at the expense of draft picks. He bombed every draft to the
point the team didn't recover until years later.
4. Stephen Ross becomes full owner in 2008
5. Recipe for disaster: Miami experiments with bad coaches for almost 15 years straight, and
while Flores isn't on that list we only have one winning season from him so far in which we didn't even make the playoffs.
At least Sparano won us a division title, but gave us mediocre seasons. In fact since 2000, the maximum amount of times we won over 11 games
has been 3 times. Two of those with Wanny, and one of those with Sparano. As much as many people in here love Flores, he isn't following any
different trend that is different from Gase, Sparano, and Wanny. Can that change? I really hope so because I do like Flores.

Trends we follow in the last 21 years:

1. New Coach
2. Good 1st season
3. Rest of the seasons mediocre then fired
4. Back to the beginning about being hyped
over this young guy in the league, this guy coming
from a good team, or that guy following another coaches pedigree.

Last edited:
Plenty of points missing in that timeline, but 3 major ones:
1) Don Shula’s inability to put a team around Marino wastes his career.
2) Johnson’s inability to move on from Marino and/or his inability to build an offense around Marino, compounded by an absolute failure to have a plan for post-Marino.
3) The most damaging trend of the last twenty years: hiring a bad coach and not firing them when necessary, instead letting them linger for one or two additional seasons of wheel-spinning (only Cameron was bad enough to get canned when he deserved it).

Timeline of our Disaster

1. Wayne Huizenga
2. Wayne Huizenga hires Jimmy Johnson (good move)
2. Jimmy Johnson recommends Wanny to destroy the team (Disaster Starts)
3. Wanny makes horrible GM moves, and horrible drafts
4. Stephen Ross becomes full owner in 2008
5. Recipe for disaster: Miami experiments with bad coaches for almost 15 years straight, and
while Flores isn't on that list we only have one winning season from him so far in which we didn't even make the playoffs.
At least Sparano won us a division title, but gave us mediocre seasons. In fact since 2000, the maximum amount of times we won over 11 games
has been 3 times. Two of those with Wanny, and one of those with Sparano. As much as many people in here love Flores, he isn't following any
different trend that is different from Gase, Sparano, and Wanny. Can that change? I really hope so because I do like Flores.

Trends we follow in the last 21 years:

1. New Coach
2. Good 1st season
3. Rest of the seasons mediocre then fired
4. Back to the beginning about being hyped
over this young guy in the league, this guy coming
from a good team, or that guy following another coaches pedigree.
To add to that, Miami didn't prepare for life without Dan Marino.

I know Packers fans weren't necessarily 'in love" with drafting a quarterback in the first round last year. An argument could be made that if instead they had picked a wide receiver, Green Bay might have played in the super bowl.

But GB did the same thing when Favre was getting up in years, drafting Rodgers. Making sure they had talent at such an important position.

Miami has been searching for a quarterback ever since Marino retired and have been going through the coaching musical chairs, constant scheme and philosophy changes.

Say this about Pittsburgh, their philosophy really hasn't changed much since the 1970's in terms of what they look for in players etc.

And here I thought Super Bowl wins, in my life time, was the thing that mattered.

It all Matter...

Most Superbowls...Shows you were the best team the most years.

Most wins...Shows you were the most consistent team in history.

Most undefeated years...Shows you were the most mentally tough team through an entire year, the most times.

Most HOFers...Shows you had some of the best players to play the game.

Last edited:
It all Matter...

Most undefeated years...Shows you were the most mentally tough team through an entire year, the most times.

Most wins counting 30+ years ago shows you nothing about today or recent memory.

I’m a long term Dolphins fan and it’s great that in the 70’s and 80’s had great teams, super start players and HC. I’m just not happy with the last 20 years and want to see changes. Looking back 30+ years and saying it wasn’t so bad isn’t helping.

It all Matter...

Super bowls can come in bunches. That is my hope for Miami. Get the talent level up, and the Dolphins have a good shot with Flores IMO.

Keeping talent today is hard to do, but if you at least have the quarterback and the coach you've got a chance.

Most wins counting 30+ years ago shows you nothing about today or recent memory.

I’m a long term Dolphins fan and it’s great that in the 70’s and 80’s had great teams, super start players and HC. I’m just not happy with the last 20 years and want to see changes. Looking back 30+ years and saying it wasn’t so bad isn’t helping.
I hear you. Even though I was lucky to live through the team’s silver and bronze ages— and saw them get to Super Bowls and win conference championships— it’s cold comfort to a younger fan to say, “The Dolphins won tons of games, even back to back Super Bowls. You just need to be in your fifties to have experienced it.”

To add to that, Miami didn't prepare for life without Dan Marino.

I know Packers fans weren't necessarily 'in love" with drafting a quarterback in the first round last year. An argument could be made that if instead they had picked a wide receiver, Green Bay might have played in the super bowl.

But GB did the same thing when Favre was getting up in years, drafting Rodgers. Making sure they had talent at such an important position.

Miami has been searching for a quarterback ever since Marino retired and have been going through the coaching musical chairs, constant scheme and philosophy changes.

Say this about Pittsburgh, their philosophy really hasn't changed much since the 1970's in terms of what they look for in players etc.

Williams was given crappy treatment by Wanny too. Literally was ok with having horrible qb's and making Ricky run the ball almost 400 times in 2003.

Ricky:

The two seasons Williams are referring to are the 2002 and 2003 campaigns. In 2002, he rushed 383 times for an NFL-high 1,853 yards and the next season he ran 392 times for 1,372 yards.
"I could see my mortality as a football player, that I'm not going to be able to do this much longer,” Williams said. “It just became obvious to me that playing football for me is not going to be fun, not something I'm going to enjoy and it's time for me to do something different."
Williams returned to the Dolphins in 2005 after paying back a portion of his signing bonus and finishing his four-game ban for failing a drug test. He was also suspended for the entire 2006 season after failing another drug test.

Williams ended his career in 2011 with 10,009 rushing yards and 66 touchdowns in 10 seasons with Miami, the New Orleans Saints and Baltimore Ravens.
- Scooby Axson

BY
SI WIRE
e0dd2acd3574679864cd76965aa5dce2.png

ADVERTISEMENT

Back
Top Bottom