Since we now have a significant stockpile of draft picks, does it make that much difference if we start winning a few gamws? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Since we now have a significant stockpile of draft picks, does it make that much difference if we start winning a few gamws?

It's too late to turn back now. Trading away potential core players...just to be able to say we drafted Fromm/Herbert with the 3rd pick???

:out:

Every unbiased fan understands if Rosen plays well enough to convince Flo he doesn't need a R1 QB, Miami will have one more pick to fill a hole. I'm not convinced Rosen is the guy, but that's essentially an 'extra' pick.

I agree we need to see development/talent in the coaching staff, but I'd like to see a number of the youngsters play to an 'average' level or better. Fewer holes makes the draft easier.

At last common sense

Our defense has been awful primarily due to our toothless pass rush.

Might it be possible that drafting the #1 edge in the draft would have a bigger impact than having two top 10 QBs?
That worked out really well the last time this team did that with Dion Jordan and Charles Harris. Yeah let’s head down that path again.....
I honestly would be sick to my stomach if they use another 1st round pick on another DE.

Last edited:
But then again... sensible people change their minds when they receive new data...

And the next 12 weeks qualify as new data.

Don’t get mad cause your team tanked - and it isn’t fair Rosen won’t get that true shot until the draft when they select their QB appears to be Tua - good luck Rosen

Im not going to read 10 pages of non-sense, as if Tua was the only upside of having the #1 overall pick. Some seem to think they magically ended up with a ton of picks, they didnt! They sold every ounce of talent they had to get those picks.

They at the very barebone least, need to replace that talent on top of adding to it to surpass the 30 years mediocrity run they've been on. Getting Tua is just a blimp, they need to build a whole ****ing team outside of a #1 CB in order to even think about contending.

The worst they are the better the pick they get in each and every round of the draft, not just the 1st. Lets not act like Grier couldnt't use the help...

Fins took care of the quantity part by selling the talent, losing games takes care of the quality part. Even if there was no Tua in this draft, the logical thing to do would still be to "Fury" the **** out of this season.

Last edited:
That worked out really well the last time this team did that with Dion Jordan and Charles Harris. Yeah let’s head down that path again.....
I honestly would be sick to my stomach if they use another 1st round pick on another DE.
Yes... drafting bad Defensive Ends is exactly like drafting good ones...

(Chuckle... spit)

Don’t get mad cause your team tanked - and it isn’t fair Rosen won’t get that true shot until the draft when they select their QB appears to be Tua - good luck Rosen
...and you don't get mad if they dont take the chosen one.

K?

Ray, all we can do is make guesses but that can be an entertaining way to spend an evening.

I'll say that ever since Ross has owned the team the end results have been pretty much the same. It really hasn't mattered who the coach, GM, or even QB has been. In 2008, when he only owned part of the team, was the only year that was different because Pennington fell into our lap (maybe that should have been a clue about the importance of a QB).

So I'll have to guess that when Flores was interviewed he told Ross that there was no way to get where he wanted with the current players (and their contracts). That has to be a bold move, to tell a business owner that his business can't succeed and must be torn down and remade. But it seems like Ross bought that sales pitch.

So as you say, we don't have a say in the matter and the Dolphins are going to be rebuilt. The question now becomes what blueprint to follow. I favor doing it in this order:

1) Get a franchise QB and a capable backup.
2) Get a quality staring OL with adequate depth to cover injuries.
3) Get a quality starting DL with adequate depth to cover injuries.
4) In the first two years, while that is being accomplished, get your Kicker, punter, FB, blocking TE, kick returner, ST's ace, etc in the latter rounds where such players can be had.
5) In year three you acquire your skill players.

Now of course a lot depends on what happens in the FA market. Also if a "special" talent is there for your draft pick.

Call me old school but I think you have to be able to run the ball and you have to be able to stop the run. IMHO you have to do those things first to "earn" the right to throw the ball and rush the passer.

I'd be very happy if we bought two good proven guards, drafted QB with our 1st, got the best LT prospect with the Steelers pick, the best RT prospect with the Texans pick, and the best remaining OC with one of our second round picks. I could splurge and spend our other second rounder on RB, CB, or WR depending on who was there (I see value at the 33rd pick in all those areas and I think Creed could be there for the Saints pick). Maybe even TE or DE if someone promising is there. Bottom line, I want the QB, a good OL, and a good running attack done next year (and I don't think our RB's or FB is good enough). It shouldn't be hard to accomplish as we have the money and the picks.

That is my unsolicited two cents on the matter.

I enjoyed reading your post.

1) I am a supporter of having 2 good QB's.
2) & 3) I agree on establishing starting lines for the offense and the defense. This could take 2 years considering the number of higher level picks it would take. I remember when the Bengals did this in the 70's. They brought in a center and two offensive linemen; Munoz and Montoya. They had Kenny Anderson as QB and in two years they were in the Super Bowl. They had just got a new coach named Forrest Greg. When he was asked about the Bengals QB problem, his answer was priceless. "Nobody can throw lying on their back" or maybe it was lying on the ground. Anyway, they established one of the best offensive lines in football.
4) I agree, take care of the rest of the positions with later round draft picks during the those 2 years.
5) Again I agree, get your skill players that you have not been able to develop in the 3rd year - sort of the icing on the cake.

I always liked power running games. Did you see the Chiefs vs. Colts last Sunday? It was like the football I remembered growing up.

Back
Top Bottom