Since we now have a significant stockpile of draft picks, does it make that much difference if we start winning a few gamws? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Since we now have a significant stockpile of draft picks, does it make that much difference if we start winning a few gamws?

Just because we've failed at some draft picks before (though we've gotten better in recent years IMO), doesn't diminish the value of having the #1 Overall Pick.

There's also the fact that the Tua pick isn't getting traded unless the Cardinals or Jets get it and it would wipe out our next 2-3 drafts to even be in the ballpark of obtaining it through trade. (Jets wouldn't trade it to us for any amount of picks)

So in summary, yes, winning a couple of meaningless games will make a difference.

The sheer amount of sloppy logic and magical thinking that takes place among the Tua cultists amuses me.

Almost to a cultist, they are seemingly brainwashed into thinking the only answer is their chosen one. No other QB will do... all other QBs are, in reality, Ryan Tannehill.

No... we cant have our current QB surprise us because then we wont be able to draft (gasp...) the chosen one...

(Chuckle)

Lose as many as it takes to get the #1 pick. This gives us way more options then dropping down a few spots just to have some meaningless wins against terrible teams like the Redskins, Jets and Bengals.

If we can't get the 1st overall pick it will show how inept this team really is at doing anything they plan... how can we win a superbowl if we cant even tank right?

So.... we control not only our record to secure the #1 overall … we also must be sure no other team goes winless and, if they do, bmake sure the team that does do it loses all tie breakers....

Professional Armchair GM Extraordinaire …. all due respect of course :)

Yes it makes a huge difference. It means you either have to trade up and lose that stockpile to get the QB. or, you don't get one of the top QBs (1. Tua 2. fromm then a drop off IMO) and have to roll with Rosen or force a lower level qb like Love or Herbert.

If this team finishes with say the 7th pick, they either stay in QB purgatory or trade all assets acquired to get the elite prospect, or in true Dolphins fashion draft the next Tannehill (herbert) or a project like Love. A much better scenario is getting the future QB with the first or second pick and still having all the assets to accumulate talent.

That might mean we still hav found the coaching staff

So.... we control not only our record to secure the #1 overall … we also must be sure no other team goes winless and, if they do, bmake sure the team that does do it loses all tie breakers....

Well we do play all the remaining winless teams so their fate is in our hands :chuckle:

Hey where you been? Awol in the lounge o_O

With our schedule, we have the ability to secure #1 in our own hands, if we go 0-16 we have the #1 pick, Denver getting off the 0 last week secured that. If we lose out no one else in the NFL will be winless.

Newsflash... Ryan Tannehill is NOT Joshua Rosen.

Your argument is false equivalence sir.

No actually it's not because my point was Ryan Tannehill always had a good enough record to prevent the team from drafting in the top 10 but rarely good enough to make the playoffs. So if the Dolphins end up drafting #7, that doesn't mean Josh Rosen is the answer at QB like the other poster was trying to say. So you lose.

No actually it's not because my point was Ryan Tannehill always had a good enough record to prevent the team from drafting in the top 10 but rarely good enough to make the playoffs. So if the Dolphins end up drafting #7, that doesn't mean Josh Rosen is the answer at QB like the other poster was trying to say. So you lose.

Then your point is silly... Tannehill was on a team with decent NFL talent.

Rosen is not.

Not the same... very VERY sloppy logic on your part.

Since we currently are loaded, and I do mean loaded, with early round draft picks; why should we worry about winning a few games and getting better as the season progresses?

I would like to see some positive results from the coaching staff with the players we have. If they can prevail in a few games with what we have on the field now, we should be dramatically better with the effects of the next two drafts. If the coaching can't do something, and I mean a little bit better and more consistent then the first 6 games we play this season, then there is no reason to suppose they will do that much better with our upcoming draftees.

On the other hand, those hoping we fail as much as possible to ensure the earliest picks possible, also seem to be the ones complaining that we never draft well any way. If our drafting is always such an overwhelming failure, how will more or earlier draft picks fix that? When we see the averages of an early draft pick living up to their anticipated performance in the NFL are around 50%, that makes the chances of getting a lot better in a hurry very remote.

What we need to see the most this year is the development of our new coaching staff into an effective unit. This will be the engine that will drive the Dolphins to success more then the "heroics" of any individual player. Have we forgotten this is the ultimate TEAM SPORT?

Every unbiased fan understands if Rosen plays well enough to convince Flo he doesn't need a R1 QB, Miami will have one more pick to fill a hole. I'm not convinced Rosen is the guy, but that's essentially an 'extra' pick.

I agree we need to see development/talent in the coaching staff, but I'd like to see a number of the youngsters play to an 'average' level or better. Fewer holes makes the draft easier.

Every unbiased fan understands if Rosen plays well enough to convince Flo he doesn't need a R1 QB, Miami will have one more pick to fill a hole. I'm not convinced Rosen is the guy, but that's essentially an 'extra' pick.

I agree we need to see development/talent in the coaching staff, but I'd like to see a number of the youngsters play to an 'average' level or better. Fewer holes makes the draft easier.

Try convincing the Tua cultists...

Logic is not their strong point.

Really all comes down to whether you buy into the Tua hype. If you do, clearly getting the #1 pick is the highest priority. If you think he's a similar talent to some of the other top QBs, then sure, let's get some wins. Personally im all in on Tua. I have some reservations, I don't see him as a Luck type prospect but IMO he's the closest thing since.

Back
Top Bottom