Since we now have a significant stockpile of draft picks, does it make that much difference if we start winning a few gamws? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Since we now have a significant stockpile of draft picks, does it make that much difference if we start winning a few gamws?

Ray R

Club Member
Reaction score
Since we currently are loaded, and I do mean loaded, with early round draft picks; why should we worry about winning a few games and getting better as the season progresses?

I would like to see some positive results from the coaching staff with the players we have. If they can prevail in a few games with what we have on the field now, we should be dramatically better with the effects of the next two drafts. If the coaching can't do something, and I mean a little bit better and more consistent then the first 6 games we play this season, then there is no reason to suppose they will do that much better with our upcoming draftees.

On the other hand, those hoping we fail as much as possible to ensure the earliest picks possible, also seem to be the ones complaining that we never draft well any way. If our drafting is always such an overwhelming failure, how will more or earlier draft picks fix that? When we see the averages of an early draft pick living up to their anticipated performance in the NFL are around 50%, that makes the chances of getting a lot better in a hurry very remote.

What we need to see the most this year is the development of our new coaching staff into an effective unit. This will be the engine that will drive the Dolphins to success more then the "heroics" of any individual player. Have we forgotten this is the ultimate TEAM SPORT?

Yes it makes a huge difference. It means you either have to trade up and lose that stockpile to get the QB. or, you don't get one of the top QBs (1. Tua 2. fromm then a drop off IMO) and have to roll with Rosen or force a lower level qb like Love or Herbert.

If this team finishes with say the 7th pick, they either stay in QB purgatory or trade all assets acquired to get the elite prospect, or in true Dolphins fashion draft the next Tannehill (herbert) or a project like Love. A much better scenario is getting the future QB with the first or second pick and still having all the assets to accumulate talent.

We definitely need that #1 pick if we want Tua... otherwise we will be with the what ifs.

If we can't get the 1st overall pick it will show how inept this team really is at doing anything they plan... how can we win a superbowl if we cant even tank right?

We have a bunch of picks and have twice as many holes on the roster... and most of the picks we will draft will probably not even pan out as Chris Grier's drafting record exemplifies. We cannot trade away multiple assets for 1 guy. We are not 1 be player away from winning.

Even Tua cant do **** with this team like this.

Yes it makes a huge difference. It means you either have to trade up and lose that stockpile to get the QB. or, you don't get one of the top QBs (1. Tua 2. fromm then a drop off IMO) and have to roll with Rosen or force a lower level qb like Love or Herbert.

If this team finishes with say the 7th pick, they either stay in QB purgatory or trade all assets acquired to get the elite prospect, or in true Dolphins fashion draft the next Tannehill (herbert) or a project like Love. A much better scenario is getting the future QB with the first or second pick and still having all the assets to accumulate talent.

If we win enough games to draft 7th, it will be pretty obvious that Rosen IS our QB. How can you miss seeing this?

Though the season is not about winning, it IS about building a culture of winning... and if our young players play well enough to win some games, it will be proof that we are getting there...

I, for one, would be ecstatic to see 4 or 5 wins. Why? Because it would mean that Rosen, William's, Wilkins, Charlton etc. stepped up and became legitimate NFL players. This would imply that we are much closer to being successful than anyone believed.

That said... I'm not predicting this... I'm rooting for it.

The big issue here is that we have so many holes, not just one or two. We need to use (or flip for more picks) every pick we have just to get this roster to an NFL level. To be frank we have right now almost zero assets. The one player we have on our roster that we could class as close to elite is our star CB who's playing down to the level of the players around him. Seriously how many fins, currently on our roster, will appear on that god awful off season filler show on NFL network, Top 100 players ? I will give you a clue the number is between 0 and 1, and 1 is unlikely !

Securing #1 without having to deal away anything is vital, it's also important that we have the #1 pick in the second round too and there is considerable value to that as boards are reset and teams look to move around, not out of the question we could flip it for a first in 2021. We need the stock we have, maybe in 2021 we can start moving up to get that player we want, but 2020 for me at least needs to be about picking good players and trading back to help you pick more good players because we have the need for so many good players.

Back
Top Bottom