Since we now have a significant stockpile of draft picks, does it make that much difference if we start winning a few gamws? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Since we now have a significant stockpile of draft picks, does it make that much difference if we start winning a few gamws?

Even though he will have been the guy to see him in practice, and in film study... every day for months?

If that's the case... why have a coach at all. Let Mel Kiper run the team.

Those who root for us to lose work a very simplistic football mind in which the QB is the final solution to all our problems and we will be instantly great. They have very little understanding of what Grier and Flores want to accomplish and what their vision is.
While Flores and Co would like to win a game here and there this season it is mainly about finding a supporting cast for the future - players who are versatile, interchangeable and buy into the system and ideas Flores and Co are trying to build and instill.
Rosen's evaluation falls into the same category. We could lose every game and still not pick a QB if Flores and Co feel like that Rosen could be the guy in the future. As a matter of fact the irony is that we could win 6 games and Rosen may not be the guy but we could also lose all of our games and Rosen could be our guy. Any evalution of any player this year is done on an individual basis and is done independent on wins or losses.

This is a season where any Dolphins fan should relax and enjoy a season of evaluation without any pressure. In fact we are in a great position to find our franchise QB. We have a possible franchise QB on our roster and if not we have the 2020 draft and if not we have the 2021 draft.

Rooting against the Dolphins is a rather selfish act to satisfy a man crush or just hopping along on a name train (popular guy train). I personally do not care what the name of our future franchise QB is: Rosen, Tua, Herbert, Fromm, Pee Wee Herrman. Who gives a ****. If he is a franchise QB, he is a franchise QB. I do prefer Rosen to become a franchise QB because it would shorten our rebuild by a year because the pick we might use on a QB could be turned into ransom and we could easily double our picks. But I am also not 'married' to Rosen and if he does not turn out to be "the one" we simply take a shot in the draft. Instead of selling myself out to one guy and one outcome I keep my options open and enjoy this season. But to each his own.

The one thing I know is that in the future I will enjoy our success much more because I kept my options open while those who 'married' themselves to one name will have a hard time to backpedal if another QB will be our franchise QB. Awkwardness is preprogrammed. :lol:

Really intelligent, well thought out post. Kudos to you and for bringing a mature viewpoint to the conversation.

Honestly, this season has turned into one thing and one thing only for me: rooting the **** against Pittsburgh. The Dolphins winning and losing is going to be a week by week thing and at the end of the day if they are doing things right they SHOULD win a game or two. Not worth stressing and rooting for them to lose week to week.

I think you have to draft a QB with our #1 pick regardless of what Rosen does. I'm liking Rosen, he's only 22 and he has great feet, a live and accurate arm and he's still learning. But, this is a fantastic year for QB's so you've got to play the hand you're dealt. We'll probably get the first pick and Tua will probably be our guy. But, as we all know, we're miles away from being a good team and we have many, many holes to fill. But, QB is finally settled, 2 young dynamic prospects. If you don't have a top QB you have no chance so that's no small thing to finally accomplish.

Now, build the hell out of the trenches and get some great playmakers. The Dolphins will be better soon. BTW, it doesn't matter to me if we win any games. Our job this year is to lose.

I think you have to draft a QB with our #1 pick regardless of what Rosen does. I'm liking Rosen, he's only 22 and he has great feet, a live and accurate arm and he's still learning. But, this is a fantastic year for QB's so you've got to play the hand you're dealt. We'll probably get the first pick and Tua will probably be our guy. But, as we all know, we're miles away from being a good team and we have many, many holes to fill. But, QB is finally settled, 2 young dynamic prospects. If you don't have a top QB you have no chance so that's no small thing to finally accomplish.

Now, build the hell out of the trenches and get some great playmakers. The Dolphins will be better soon. BTW, it doesn't matter to me if we win any games. Our job this year is to lose.

Our defense has been awful primarily due to our toothless pass rush.

Might it be possible that drafting the #1 edge in the draft would have a bigger impact than having two top 10 QBs?

i am afraid of small minded stubbornness thinking by Flores
his personnel choices have sucked for the most part

I respect that opinion. There's a difference between what individual fans WANT and what Flo and company will do. Whether I or we like it, Flo will decide if Rosen is 'good enough.'

As for the roster, despite the pessimistic view of some, there is talent on the team. No, not All Pro, but a number of players who are at least average - good enough to reduce the positions of critical need. And 12 games to see if anyone grows into a position next year

I respect that opinion. There's a difference between what individual fans WANT and what Flo and company will do. Whether I or we like it, Flo will decide if Rosen is 'good enough.'

As for the roster, despite the pessimistic view of some, there is talent on the team. No, not All Pro, but a number of players who are at least average - good enough to reduce the positions of critical need. And 12 games to see if anyone grows into a position next year
Exactly right... there are some average quality NFL players on this roster. Not enough to be sure, but the posters who claim they are all awful are childishly overstating things.

I remember when Ross said that Chad Henne was going to be the greatest quarterback in franchise history. Better than Marino.

Here's the deal - NFL head coaches will most often let you down. Owners will most often let you down. NFL GM's will most often let you down.

They'll try to convince you a lot of QB's are the guy - whether it's Henne, Tannehill, Culpepper, Fiedler.... trust them, they see him everyday in practice.

I can't speak for everybody, but my eyes don't let me down very often. I have to trust what I see over anything else. I knew none of those were the guy.

If Rosen is the guy, there will be no doubts. Everyone will know. There will be no dissenters. Anywhere.

Rosen has his chance to go out there and show the Dolphins they don't need a quarterback. Until it happens, they do.

Mahomes: 10th pick
Watson: 12th pick
Rodgers: 24th pick
Wilson: 3rd round
Roethlisburger 11th pick
Brady: duh!
Brees: 2nd round

Yeah, as far as early picks go with staying power: Rivers is the real deal and Stafford may be but otherwise:

Who'd take Mariota, Winston, Wentz, Newton, RG3 over that first group? Hell, an argument can be made that 3rd rounder Wilson would be preferable to a healthy Andrew Luck.

And still, I'd rather have Dan Marino on my team than Jim Kelly or John Elway...in the same draft. Maybe, maybe not Montana overall, who incidentally was another 3rd round pick.

Being in position to draft Tua would be nice but it wouldn't be the end of the world if Rosen develops or if one of a number of other QBs including Love, Easton and Burrow end up as sleepers on our roster.

A couple of others in this thread have made an excellent point, sorry for not quoting, I'm too lazy to go back through the pages :)

Anyway they talked about the drop off from Tua to the other prospects, as I watch the QBs we could be targeting on a weekly basis this becomes more and more apparent to me. Coming into this season I hated the idea of Fromm however I'm starting to come around to him and begining to appreciate what he can offer, I'm gonna really take a close look at him over the next few weeks especially when he plays the Gators in JAX, I've failed to be impressed with him despite coming away with the W in those games in previous seasons, so I've got a kind of benchmark to work against.

Still right now, I don't think Fromm is a #1 pick, he's a top 5 or 10 guy depending on how much you like him, he's going to lose out on measurables and "wow" factor to Love and Herbert and can see him being the 4th QB selected, he might very well end up being the best QB of the class however. Tua is still in a league of his own, call me a Tua Cultist , I wish we could get away from this kind of pigeon holing and naming calling, seems like the Tannylover/Tannyhater juvenile nonsense (which I freely admit to being part of) all over again. This is a prospect people can easily fall in love with and will want the fins to do everything possible to secure but at the end of the day, like all evaluations these are just people's opinions, no point in demonizing someone for their opinion on a college QB prospect. Who I don't have a lot of time for are those who have made the statement, that he's the next big thing or going to be a flop but have not spent any time watching him play. No excuse really he plays for the school which is probably on TV more than any other one.

But going back to the original point I was trying to make, for me at least it's Tua <big gap> Fromm <huge gap to development guys> Herbert and Love. Where Rosen fits into that list is probably where the OP is going. For me he has to prove he's in the group with Herbert and Love before I would consider passing on Fromm for (assuming we've missed on #1), to my eyes at least he's not proven that yet, there is still time though.

The term Tua cultist is only for the half of the Tua crowd that wets itself and screams at the concept of Miami winning a few games. The ones who claim Rosen is garbage. The ones who swear Tua is the best they've ever seen.

A well reasoned post like yours is not of that variety.

I could name names, but that would be rude.

Back
Top Bottom