SI's Breer reports: Falcons have had "exploratory talks" with teams about Atlanta's No. 4 pick in 2021 Draft | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

SI's Breer reports: Falcons have had "exploratory talks" with teams about Atlanta's No. 4 pick in 2021 Draft

Chris Grier traded out way too early from #3 - now we have to watch the Falcons take charge of the draft and probably get more value then the Dolphins got by trading down.

Somehow our 2021 and 2022 draft positions got worse by trading a top 3 pick in a Qb heavy draft. I try not to think about this much because of how much it makes me boil.
Too early? If it was draft day, what would have changed?

Too early? If it was draft day, what would have changed?

That it'd be draft day and a team that spent 12 months scouting Qb's may have to wait another 12 months for another Qb. Competitive juices sometimes lead to bold decisions. You use that to gain Leverage

Chris Grier traded out way too early from #3 - now we have to watch the Falcons take charge of the draft and probably get more value then the Dolphins got by trading down.

Somehow our 2021 and 2022 draft positions got worse by trading a top 3 pick in a Qb heavy draft. I try not to think about this much because of how much it makes me boil.
What if no one trades with you draft day?

SF offered a great trade.......you take that every day and twice on Sunday's. Snooze and lose.

How did our draft positions get worse in 2022? We swapped our first round pick out but gained the 49ers. Have to think there is a good chance those picks are either in a similar slot next year or the 49ers pick is higher. Plus they gained a 3rd round pick.

SF offered a great trade.......you take that every day and twice on Sunday's. Snooze and lose.
Exactly. It was a great trade. Talk with Detroit and see how they feel about waiting until they were on the clock hoping to get that offer they never got last year. Look at NYG the last few years.

If we went Sewell, kick Hunt to the inside where he should be then draft best WR at 18, there will still be good ones. Then Dickerson or Humphrey with best available of Harris/ETN/Williams on day 2.

Grier does a great job of finding late round LB's so lets build the line and add a couple key weapons to the offense in Rd 1 and 2.

Completely disagree. We got 2 most probably low firsts, one two years away and a comp (very low) 3rd rounder. What we gave up was a pivotal pick in a draft with a bunch of teams who are QB hungry in a top heavy QB class. Philly then took our best comp in the trade and we were left with a net , dropping 33 places from 123 to 156, that comp 3rd rounder (which we could probably have gotten for taking the 33 spot drop) and a first rounder from a stacked NFL team in 2 years time! It's crap, it's not what any of us would have taken for a direct trade with Philly from 3 to 6.

There is no way in hell SF was our only offer or the only offer we would get between then and when we got on the clock. SF played us and then Philly stuck the boot in. If this was all ends up for us to pick Devonta Smith then that's doubly stupid.

Exactly. It was a great trade. Talk with Detroit and see how they feel about waiting until they were on the clock hoping to get that offer they never got last year. Look at NYG the last few years.

It's a completely different draft class with teams with completely different needs, what happened to Detriot last year has ZERO relevance on what will happen this year.

How did our draft positions get worse in 2022? We swapped our first round pick out but gained the 49ers. Have to think there is a good chance those picks are either in a similar slot next year or the 49ers pick is higher. Plus they gained a 3rd round pick.

Think this is wishful thinking, SF have a much better roster than us when everyone is fit. We gained a 3rd this year not next (156) but gave away a better third rounder 123 to Philly to move back up, so we made our 2021 draft picks worse again. The only pay off is in 2023, a long way away. Do you think for a moment that SF would trade us #3 for #6 plus that 2023 1st ? No team would.

Completely disagree. We got 2 most probably low firsts, one two years away and a comp (very low) 3rd rounder. What we gave up was a pivotal pick in a draft with a bunch of teams who are QB hungry in a top heavy QB class. Philly then took our best comp in the trade and we were left with a net , dropping 33 places from 123 to 156, that comp 3rd rounder (which we could probably have gotten for taking the 33 spot drop) and a first rounder from a stacked NFL team in 2 years time! It's crap, it's not what any of us would have taken for a direct trade with Philly from 3 to 6.

There is no way in hell SF was our only offer or the only offer we would get between then and when we got on the clock. SF played us and then Philly stuck the boot in. If this was all ends up for us to pick Devonta Smith then that's doubly stupid.
Pure speculation.

Think this is wishful thinking, SF have a much better roster than us when everyone is fit. We gained a 3rd this year not next (156) but gave away a better third rounder 123 to Philly to move back up, so we made our 2021 draft picks worse again. The only pay off is in 2023, a long way away. Do you think for a moment that SF would trade us #3 for #6 plus that 2023 1st ? No team would.
Better record than 49ners I don't think is that wishful of thinking. They are in a very tough division, which Seahawks, Rams, Cardinals who could all take the division, I could see any of those teams be best or worst in the division except maybe Seahawks I don't see being worst.

It's crazy how many continue to question this regime. A one year turn around and continually adding picks. Reminds me of my ex- damned if I give it to her, damned if I don't.

These guys can draft my cousin Petey and I'd have to think, "Well, Petey does ball out in his flag football league."

Look, if you don't trust them, check the record.

It's a completely different draft class with teams with completely different needs, what happened to Detriot last year has ZERO relevance on what will happen this year.
You are correct that its a completely different draft class however there were two outstanding QB prospects in last year's draft class. Outside of the first two picks everyone expected someone to come up for either one of them. Detroit was heavily rumored to be seeking a trade out especially with their current QB at the time and what their greatest need was. Its a perfect example of a team waiting until draft night hoping teams compete with one another. It didn't pan out and Detroit stick and picked a prospect that should not have went that high. I'm sure Chris Grier is aware of this especially since we were one of the teams rumored to be talking with them. Also keep in mind both QB prospects could be argued that they are better than all of this years class other than Trevor Lawrence. Again our GM went with a calculated gamble instead of rolling the dice on draft night. The trade with SF was outstanding value. Everything has some relevance when it comes to the draft.

Better record than 49ners I don't think is that wishful of thinking. They are in a very tough division, which Seahawks, Rams, Cardinals who could all take the division, I could see any of those teams be best or worst in the division except maybe Seahawks I don't see being worst.

They are just 14 months out of an NFC championship and SB appearance, when was our last one ? We are also in a tough division, with the Bills (who had the 3rd best record in the league) a much improved (on paper) patriots team with all their FA signings as well as their opt outs coming back and a Gase less Jets who are building something with a very talented young HC. The Seahawks are a bit of a mess right now with Wilson calling out HC and oline, who knows what a stafford led Rams will be like, the Cards maybe SF's biggest competitor and they still unfortunately for them have kingsbury as HC. The NFC West is not the powerhouse it once was, last year it was distinctly average.

You are correct that its a completely different draft class however there were two outstanding QB prospects in last year's draft class. Outside of the first two picks everyone expected someone to come up for either one of them. Detroit was heavily rumored to be seeking a trade out especially with their current QB at the time and what their greatest need was. Its a perfect example of a team waiting until draft night hoping teams compete with one another. It didn't pan out and Detroit stick and picked a prospect that should not have went that high. I'm sure Chris Grier is aware of this especially since we were one of the teams rumored to be talking with them. Also keep in mind both QB prospects could be argued that they are better than all of this years class other than Trevor Lawrence. Again our GM went with a calculated gamble instead of rolling the dice on draft night. The trade with SF was outstanding value. Everything has some relevance when it comes to the draft.

There was only one team that had the capital to trade with Detroit for a QB who was coming off the back of a major injury, that was us. The Chargers were our only real competition and they had 7 total picks last year, trading away 2 firsts on a player that was likely to have to red shirt was not a sensible thing to do when Herbert was going to be there for them. With that knowledge we obviously decided to hold our nerve and we were rewarded.

Again it was a different scenario.

This year you have 5 QBs in the mix but you had Carolina, Denver, SF, Philly, Jets, Jags, Chicago, NE, possibly Detroit and Atlanta, who are/were legit needy QB teams. Getting up to 3 was kind of the holy grail for the bulk of those teams because it allowed you to pick the QB you wanted outside of Lawrence and Wilson. There is no way in hell that you can tell me that we wouldn't have had a lot more offers as the time ticks towards the draft. And even if we didn't get any, taking the BPA non QB which we could have done at 3 without any danger would have been a nice thing to do, now we've lost that control, for what ? A drop of 33 picks and a 2023 probably very late 1st rounder ! Not worth it !

Back
Top Bottom