SI's Breer reports: Falcons have had "exploratory talks" with teams about Atlanta's No. 4 pick in 2021 Draft | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

SI's Breer reports: Falcons have had "exploratory talks" with teams about Atlanta's No. 4 pick in 2021 Draft

The 2020 Dolphins were 11th in sacks and 13th in pressures. Where do they need to be for "decent" or "adequate"?

...and despite these middlin' numbers that you cited, we no longer have 10 of those sacks (Van Noy and Lawson)... This doesn't even begin to point out that we did this by going cover zero and sending the house to get all the way up to average.

We went from middle of the pack, to near the bottom with these two deletions.

Surely, you can see this?

You don’t think if Atl pulls off a trade and the comp is to move say to #12 and that team gives them say 3 first round picks. Some will absolutely be calling for Flo and Grier’s collective heads?
For one philly wouldn’t come up to 4 for more than the Niners did to go to 3. They could of just gone from 6 to 3 for a lot less. I don’t see the Broncos or Pats giving up two extra firsts for the 4th QB off the board. If they can get it out of the WFT or Chicago more power to them if they want to drop that far down.

Is the GM new? If so, How do you not clear house and get rid of old Ryan and Julio and rebuild that team?
Honestly. I've implored the falcon fans to embrace A dolphin style rebuild. This is their optimum opportunity for that. The previous gm screwed the Falcons so bad. Top heavy payroll, average talent and cap hell. Sound familiar?

...and despite these middlin' numbers that you cited, we no longer have 10 of those sacks (Van Noy and Lawson)... This doesn't even begin to point out that we did this by going cover zero and sending the house to get all the way up to average.

We went from middle of the pack, to near the bottom with these two deletions.

Surely, you can see this?
On a 2nd look, the Dolphins were actually tied with Green Bay for 10th with 41 sacks. That's top ten, not exactly "middlin" and most definitely not "stinkin"
Also, I assume they will run the same defense this year, not sure why you remove cover zero from the equation. This defense relies on scheme, not stars for pressure and that won't change. I expect similar results in 2021.
That being said, I wouldn't be surprised by a pass-rusher with one of the top 4 picks, it's just not a dire need

On a 2nd look, the Dolphins were actually tied with Green Bay for 10th with 41 sacks. That's top ten, not exactly "middlin" and most definitely not "stinkin"
Also, I assume they will run the same defense this year, not sure why you remove cover zero from the equation. This defense relies on scheme, not stars for pressure and that won't change. I expect similar results in 2021.
That being said, I wouldn't be surprised by a pass-rusher with one of the top 4 picks, it's just not a dire need
So... remove two of our best pass rushers and things will be just the same. 'Ol Flores will just manufacture a pass rush out of undrafted free agents and glue?

I think, like a lot of folks here, that you'll grasp at any straw to avoid drafting Defensive players.
We have no stars on the front 7. NONE..

And I mention cover zero because this is what it took to generate a pass rush... sending 5, 6, and 7 men. We NEVER got it done with 4... and now two of the base are gone.

Is the GM new? If so, How do you not clear house and get rid of old Ryan and Julio and rebuild that team?
The last GM made that very difficult to do. They have one of the absolute worst salary cap situations. And it is very difficult to move on from Ryan after they had to restructure his contract to get under to cap. Just moving on from Ryan and Julio would leave a lot of dead cap that they wouldn't be rid of till 2024.

Too many important players are too old to believe this team can be rebuilt into a contender in time. But they are also not in a good situation to tear it down. I don't envy them.

Circumstances are terrible

Dear Lord help this board if ATL does trade out and recieve more comp than the Dolphins did for #3.

I'm signing off and just seeing what we pick on draft day.

I can't take the inevitable fire Grier, fire Flo, fire Ross, fire Grant etc type maddness that would ensue.
One guarantee in life. There will always be dumb people on this board. Lol

So... remove two of our best pass rushers and things will be just the same. 'Ol Flores will just manufacture a pass rush out of undrafted free agents and glue?

I think, like a lot of folks here, that you'll grasp at any straw to avoid drafting Defensive players.
We have no stars on the front 7. NONE..

And I mention cover zero because this is what it took to generate a pass rush... sending 5, 6, and 7 men. We NEVER got it done with 4... and now two of the base are gone.
Again, not against drafting defense, but it’s already championship caliber.
With the 20th ranked passing and 22nd ranked rushing attacks, this team needs offensive playmakers first and foremost. I would spend 3 of the top 4 picks there. If a great DE, LB, etc. falls in their lap, fine but this team won’t contend for anything without better offensive weapons.

Again, not against drafting defense, but it’s already championship caliber.
With the 20th ranked passing and 22nd ranked rushing attacks, this team needs offensive playmakers first and foremost. I would spend 3 of the top 4 picks there. If a great DE, LB, etc. falls in their lap, fine but this team won’t contend for anything without better offensive weapons.
Already championship caliber???

You dig around to find some statistics FROM LAST YEAR that said we were 10th and 14th in some rankings, ignore that we let two of our pass-rushers go from that middlin' defense... and then describe the result as Championship caliber??? Really?

You are trying so hard to justify going all offense. You can't even make a defensive argument without saying how badly we need offensive weapons.
You say that you aren't against drafting defense, but then one sentence later, you say if a great one falls in our lap... c'mon dude, you are setting it up for us having to go all offense unless a super special player falls to us. We know where that goes next... we draft a player that you don't love because he isn't 'great' enough and you start complaining that we shoulda took one more offensive guy.

Already championship caliber???

You dig around to find some statistics FROM LAST YEAR that said we were 10th and 14th in some rankings, ignore that we let two of our pass-rushers go from that middlin' defense... and then describe the result as Championship caliber??? Really?

You are trying so hard to justify going all offense. You can't even make a defensive argument without saying how badly we need offensive weapons.
You say that you aren't against drafting defense, but then one sentence later, you say if a great one falls in our lap... c'mon dude, you are setting it up for us having to go all offense unless a super special player falls to us. We know where that goes next... we draft a player that you don't love because he isn't 'great' enough and you start complaining that we shoulda took one more offensive guy.
Middlin’ in the top ten.
not gonna sweat losing a couple JAGs.
Van Ginkle replaces a fading Van Noy and I’m going to go out on a limb and predict Flores will find someone to cover Lawson’s 4 sacks.
and, yes I need a very good player in the top 50 to justify using valuable resources on a unit that is already one of the best in the league.

Dear Lord help this board if ATL does trade out and recieve more comp than the Dolphins did for #3.

Assuming they will trade down beyond 6, they should receive more.

If they trade down to 7 and end up with an extra 1 or 2, then I can see the angst. But if they trade down to 12 or lower, they’re likely gonna end up with more. There’s little question about that.

That said, while there may be multiple teams inquiring about #4, those teams may be trying to get it on the cheap to trade up for a play maker. Because I don’t see ATL having as much competition for that pick from QB hungry teams. I mean, who’s left for a QB? DEN and NE??

And even then, would an org really want to part with more than SF gave up not knowing for sure which of remaining QB’s are going to be available at 4? It’s not a sure thing who will be available between Jones, Fields and Lance.

#4 might be too far for NE to get to, so where’s the competition for that pick?

You don’t think if Atl pulls off a trade and the comp is to move say to #12 and that team gives them say 3 first round picks. Some will absolutely be calling for Flo and Grier’s collective heads?

If some GM surrenders three #1’s to get the 4th QB on the board — with nominal competition for the pick — they should be fired immediately.

I wouldn’t be upset at Grier/Flores for not seeing that coming.

Atlanta being in the driver seat shows how dumb Grier's was to move on from the 3rd pick a month out from the draft. Crazy how we moved back from 3 to 6 and netted a 3rd rounder next year and a first rounder in the 2056 draft. He should be fired for that alone.
Yes, the complete lack of instant gratification is a clear sign that this move was a complete disaster. 🙄

I haven’t heard that specifically (though I do hope it’s true). I don’t suppose you’ve got a link to something saying that?
From Barry Jackson
Dolphins coach Brian Flores spent a lot of time with Smith at the Senior Bowl, predicted he will be a very good NFL player and by all accounts has no issues with his size.
Also

Back
Top Bottom