SI's Breer reports: Falcons have had "exploratory talks" with teams about Atlanta's No. 4 pick in 2021 Draft | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

SI's Breer reports: Falcons have had "exploratory talks" with teams about Atlanta's No. 4 pick in 2021 Draft

New England trading up? I expect it.

Miami taking a Guard? No.

Bill seems to be at a disperate place and likely wants to win now. Getting a rookie QB doesn't seem to accomplish that agenda during his remaining time there. So i can't really see them trading up.

Sadly and it hurts my heart to say or think think this but I can see an argument/logic being made by Miami to take an OL guy at #6.

The question/logic comes down to this. What gives us the best chance at a post-season berth?

Answer: Keeping our QB upright and healthy!

How do you accomplish that?

Answer: By giving him good protection to make the best decisions.

Answer: That's better accomplish with protection up front THEN the surrounding talent.

Wisedom says: You ALWAYS have a chance if you can keep your QB upright.

Bill seems to be at a disperate place and likely wants to win now. Getting a rookie QB doesn't seem to accomplish that agenda during his remaining time there. So i can't really see them trading up.

Sadly and it hurts my heart to say or think think this but I can see an argument/logic being made by Miami to take an OL guy at #6.

The question/logic comes down to this. What gives up the best chance at a post-season berth?

Answer: That's better accomplish with protection up front THEN the surrounding talent.

He's far from a draft expert..he hosts a show on NFL Network in the morning..don't exactly think most care what he says about the draft or mocking it..

He's far from a draft expert..he hosts a show on NFL Network in the morning..don't exactly think most care what he says about the draft or mocking it..

Actually he's one of the few that has a genuine interesting in the Dolphins and follows them.

Honestly, I can't see anyone presenting a valid reason why the Dolphins can't go OL with the #6 overall pick.

Our OL started off well last season and ran into trouble down the stretch.

Clearly we're far from a finished product and the game starts in the trenches.

Actually he's one of the few that has a genuine interesting in the Dolphins and follows them.

Honestly, I can't see anyone presenting a valid reason why the Dolphins can't go OL with the #6 overall pick.

Our OL started off well last season and ran into trouble down the stretch.

Clearly we're far from a finished product and the game starts in the trenches.
What are his credentials?

If we take an O-Lineman, it'll be Sewell, if he's available, anyway.

The question/logic comes down to this. What gives us the best chance at a post-season berth?

I wouldn't be upset if we took Sewell... I think he's THAT good, and I'm a line guy first. I generally accept that the Dolphins are going to go receiver because of the ongoing narrative, but I'd be quietly celebrating if we passed on the pretty boys and dropped Sewell in on Tua's blind side.

Slater is, I believe, a very polished product who will be an excellent Guard in the NFL... He's only 6'4" and his arms are on the short side too. In the long run, he'd be better served to compete with Quenton Nelson, than with Trent Williams and Laremy Tunsil.

Conversely way too many morons on this forum think Smith is somehow going to fail or suddenly become injury prone due to his weight when there’s never been a hint of either up to this point in his career.

As for walking on water, Smith came about as close to it in college as any player has. Not many have
produced like he did at the P5 level, won a Heisman, and helped their team to win 2 Nat’l titles — scoring the game winning TD in one title game and completely dominating the other.

Why guys like you remain so stubbornly resistant to acknowledging the above and recognizing that this dude isn’t just ‘some player‘ is baffling.

I’m a lifelong Ohio State fan. A very hardcore Buckeyes fan. I don’t like Alabama. At all. Or the SEC in general.

But I can easily recognize and acknowledge a unique or special player when I see one. And Smith has been a special player to this point in his playing career. The accomplishments speak for themselves.

Is it possible he won‘t be able to replicate the accomplishments and success at the next level? Of course. That’s possible for each and every prospect.

But Smith’s chances are as good as any other prospect. Maybe even better.

The fact that you and others can’t overcome your own bias to recognize what is easily recognizable says a lot about you.

Moreover it’s fine that you prefer other prospects more than Smith, but to mock or hate on other’s for recognizing and acknowledging what you can’t, again, says a lot about you.
Is this an excerpt from the Devonta Smith Bible of prayers and holy dance hymns? This post really creeps me the F out. It sounds like you deify the man.

Sorry don't have time to read all these replies. There are more words on this page alone than the last Game of Thrones novel.

I wouldn't be upset if we took Sewell... I think he's THAT good, and I'm a line guy first. I generally accept that the Dolphins are going to go receiver because of the ongoing narrative, but I'd be quietly celebrating if we passed on the pretty boys and dropped Sewell in on Tua's blind side.

Slater is, I believe, a very polished product who will be an excellent Guard in the NFL... He's only 6'4" and his arms are on the short side too. In the long run, he'd be better served to compete with Quenton Nelson, than with Trent Williams and Laremy Tunsil.

The kind of coach we have in Flo almost seems to suggest it would be shocking if they went with a skill position guy (Smith, Chase, Pitts) etc over a top OL guy when the OL is still in disarray and not settled.

I think it's time we start considering an OL guy with #6 overall just as much as most have been mocking a skillset guy at that pick.

It's not sexy at all. But i think everyone get it.

It's been said ad nauseum, but keeping your QB upright requires 5 lineman, not 1, and it doesn't matter if your super All-Pro tackle can block a DE for an hour every single play because the pressure is going to get there from somewhere else anyway. People talk about the game starts in the trenches which is true, but nowhere does it say you need to dominate in the trenches. Can you build a team to do so? Sure, but the cost of that is too much because you're paying big, big money to multiple offensive lineman.

It's simply not cost effective. Get lineman that are "good enough" and then stack your salary elsewhere to take advantage of that "good enough" protection because relatively speaking the jump to elite from "good enough" is more than double. It simply isn't worth it to use your biggest resource chip on someone who... if things break correctly... turns out to be a guy that's going to cost you $25 mil a season and comprises only 20% of your line.

The kind of coach we have in Flo almost seems to suggest it would be shocking if they went with a skill position guy (Smith, Chase, Pitts) etc over a top OL guy when the OL is still in disarray and not settled.

I think it's time we start considering an OL guy with #6 overall just as much as most have been mocking a skillset guy at that pick.

Nah, I think the jump from 12 to 6 before the draft means you can write in pen that we're going skill position player. If we were targeting Sewel and he was considered that good, we would have taken him at #3 because if he really is THAT good, then there would be no guarantee that the Bengals don't just take him and what? We traded up for Slater?

It'll be one of Pitts/Chase/Smith.

My top preference for this draft would be Sewell and then Paye or Rousseau. I've said as much before.

The problem with continuing with that line of discussion is twofold... 1) I just don't think Flores/Grier will do it, and 2) Such a large % of Finheaven hates this idea that they become abusive and threads devolve into slap fights and screaming.

So, I go with the Flo... while secretly hoping for Sewell... LOL

Nah, I think the jump from 12 to 6 before the draft means you can write in pen that we're going skill position player. If we were targeting Sewel and he was considered that good, we would have taken him at #3 because if he really is THAT good, then there would be no guarantee that the Bengals don't just take him and what? We traded up for Slater?

It'll be one of Pitts/Chase/Smith.

Logically it makes sense. But i don't think we should dismiss the possibility here.

Sewell is very good, but you can get pretty darn good the second day, and that is true for the Bengals too. The quicker the quarterback reads defenses and releases the ball, the less you need a guy at #5. I think Atlanta trades down, the Bengals take Chase, we take Pitts, and at 18 take Kwity Paye or Micah Parsons. Or whoever is the BPA there and the rest of the picks.

Sewell is very good, but you can get pretty darn good the second day, and that is true for the Bengals too. The quicker the quarterback reads defenses and releases the ball, the less you need a guy at #5. I think Atlanta trades down, the Bengals take Chase, we take Pitts, and at 18 take Kwity Paye or Micah Parsons. Or whoever is the BPA there and the rest of the picks.
That works for me, bro!

Chris Grier traded out way too early from #3 - now we have to watch the Falcons take charge of the draft and probably get more value then the Dolphins got by trading down.

Somehow our 2021 and 2022 draft positions got worse by trading a top 3 pick in a Qb heavy draft. I try not to think about this much because of how much it makes me boil.

Back
Top Bottom