Sitton Out For Remainder Of Season | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sitton Out For Remainder Of Season

I was listening to 790AM in the car this evening and the substitute host on evening show came up with a mind-blowing factoid.

Between 2008-2014, Miami drafted only THREE players in the first three rounds of the NFL draft who stayed with Miami on their second contracts. THREE!

Ryan Tannehill, Mike Pouncey, and... KOA MISI.

That's right, the only two players drafted in the first three rounds between 2008 and 2014 who are still with the Dolphins are Ryan Tannehill and Ja'Wuan James who is on the fifth year option of his rookie deal. I sincerely hope that we don't overthink things and let James walk just so that we can spend another high draft pick on a tackle.

Yep. People need to start thinking about what guys cost in free agency before we dump our own players.

I mean Albert Wilson cost $8 mil per year and while I think we’d all agree that we like what he brings in week 1 even he just dropped a 3 and 31. Dvp even if he underachieves and drops some weeks a 4 and 40 at $9 mil per on his 5th year may well be a bargain.

Keep your own players especially your youth with upside and in a free agency market that continues to go up for even less return.

I disagree. Laremy Tunsil is a good tackle except for his penalties. He is better than mediocre. Ja'Wuan James is a good right tackle. He's a very good pass protector and a pretty good run blocker. He does commit too many penalties, in my opinion. On the whole, I would say they are two good tackles that we can win with.

Daniel Kilgore looked fine to me on Sunday. He got manhandled one time. Once. That's fine. I can live with a guy getting beat once if he makes the right calls at the line and is assignment sound. Jesse Davis continues to look like a high quality right guard with potential to keep getting better. I don't think he is mediocre.

I think that line was above average, if not downright good for what it was built to do, which is pass protect. So losing a good player does hurt. But losing ONE player, who is not a tackle, and replacing him with an 8 year veteran, is NOT the kind of thing that should derail the offense or the team. If Ted Larsen steps in and plays ACCEPTABLE level football, the line will be fine.
Keep me optimistic wanny

I just hope this truly doesn’t hurt as much as some of the initial panic

I disagree. Laremy Tunsil is a good tackle except for his penalties. He is better than mediocre. Ja'Wuan James is a good right tackle. He's a very good pass protector and a pretty good run blocker. He does commit too many penalties, in my opinion. On the whole, I would say they are two good tackles that we can win with.

Daniel Kilgore looked fine to me on Sunday. He got manhandled one time. Once. That's fine. I can live with a guy getting beat once if he makes the right calls at the line and is assignment sound. Jesse Davis continues to look like a high quality right guard with potential to keep getting better. I don't think he is mediocre.

I think that line was above average, if not downright good for what it was built to do, which is pass protect. So losing a good player does hurt. But losing ONE player, who is not a tackle, and replacing him with an 8 year veteran, is NOT the kind of thing that should derail the offense or the team. If Ted Larsen steps in and plays ACCEPTABLE level football, the line will be fine.
I'll give you James. He's been solid for us. Tunsil should be good, but his heart doesn't seem to be in it. The other 3 are just a bunch of jags. I think the theory which I was hoping for was that Sitton would lock down that LG spot and that his professionalism would rub off on Tunsil and that his potential would come through. So we'd have a rock solid left side, a good right end with James and all we could just focus on providing help with the interior right side. I had hopes for a playoff spot but I knew a lot would have to go right for that to take place. The offense certainly needs to be the strength of this team with the number of defensive deficiencies that we have. I didn't watch the 2nd half b/c my kid decided to go to the hospital with a broken arm, but outside of that Stills touchdown, that looks on paper like some putrid offensive football. We had two really nice drives in the 1st half so maybe the long delay had something to do with it. We'll see this week.

If I was putting it in order of importance to this team in 2018 I’d say tunsil, Davis, james are the top 3.

Davis frankly is close to being a mission critical cause like x, raekwon and Tannehill there’s absolutely nothing behind him.

He’s top 10 I can tell ya that.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was putting it in order of importance to this team in 2018 I’d say tunsil, Davis, james are the top 3.

Davis frankly is close to being a mission critical cause like x, raekwon and Tannehill there’s absolutely nothing behind him.

He’s top 10 I can tell ya that.

How did you feel about Jesse Davis' play on Sunday? I thought he was good and has kind of picked up where he left off in 2017. I'm super, super pleased by what I've seen from him so far. I think the fact that he's already significantly better than all of the other bums we've tried to develop at guard after just one season and the fact that he is a converted DL gives me a lot of optimism about his ability to continue to improve and become a great football player.

Keep me optimistic wanny

I just hope this truly doesn’t hurt as much as some of the initial panic

I'm honestly not very optimistic, especially because I think Matt Burke is letting his ego get in the way of our starting defensive backfield. That's one to keep an eye on. Adam Gase has a big game this week. I want to see 24+ points from our offense on the road in what looks like a pretty good matchup for Miami on paper. I don't think I'm going to see it, but that's another story.

I just don't think losing Josh Sitton is that bad. Yes, it's bad, but it's the next OL injury that's going to be the big problem. The depth doesn't look good, especially not with Brendel on IR until week 8.

Of the 53 man roster, Sitton was easily top 5-6 important in terms of staying healthy.....First regular season game we lose someone that important....not good at all

I'll give you James. He's been solid for us. Tunsil should be good, but his heart doesn't seem to be in it. The other 3 are just a bunch of jags. I think the theory which I was hoping for was that Sitton would lock down that LG spot and that his professionalism would rub off on Tunsil and that his potential would come through. So we'd have a rock solid left side, a good right end with James and all we could just focus on providing help with the interior right side. I had hopes for a playoff spot but I knew a lot would have to go right for that to take place. The offense certainly needs to be the strength of this team with the number of defensive deficiencies that we have. I didn't watch the 2nd half b/c my kid decided to go to the hospital with a broken arm, but outside of that Stills touchdown, that looks on paper like some putrid offensive football. We had two really nice drives in the 1st half so maybe the long delay had something to do with it. We'll see this week.

Jesse Davis isn't a JAG. That kid may end up being a Pro Bowl guard. Just because he has no pedigree doesn't mean he isn't any good. That RG position is his for the foreseeable future IMHO, and he has earned it. I love the way he pulls, and run blocks, and he's making far fewer mistakes pass blocking than he did when he first got here. When he does have a bad play, it's mental, not physical, and he's continually improved in his execution. The light seems to have come on for him.

Oh I have been paying attention.
2014- We have James left who missed half the season twice in 4 years and could be in his last year with us.
2015- We have Parker, Phillips and Mcain
Not exactly pro bowlers and after this season Macain might be the only one left.
2016- We have Tunsil,Howard,Drake and Grant
so far that is a better draft but Tunsil has not been a home run. Howard is looking pretty good so far and I really like Drake
2017-Harris has been nothing so far. RM needs time but so far we can't say one way or the other. Tank would have been cut if he hadn't been a 3rd round pick.
2018- I like Minkah but we'll see how it goes. Too early to tell.

So from 2014 to 2017 we have Zero pro bowls to show for.

Yes I have been paying attention.
Then I feel bad for you as you are obviously stuck in the negative . You can't rebuild in a single year, not from were this team was coming from. Unfortunately you still believe its there .

Jesse Davis isn't a JAG. That kid may end up being a Pro Bowl guard. Just because he has no pedigree doesn't mean he isn't any good. That RG position is his for the foreseeable future IMHO, and he has earned it. I love the way he pulls, and run blocks, and he's making far fewer mistakes pass blocking than he did when he first got here. When he does have a bad play, it's mental, not physical, and he's continually improved in his execution. The light seems to have come on for him.
We'll see. As fan, we have a tendency to project in the positive and then reality hits. We've seen it time and time again with guys that have had a good start to their careers or good fresh start with the phins just to have them fizzle out. This is especially true with bad teams like us b/c we're so desperate for some guys to become the elite players for us that we're almost entirely lacking. I'm not getting my hopes up. Until he does it consistently for a couple of years, he's a jag.

maybe we can convert Charles useless over drafted harris to guard since we passed on one for him?

Hmmm. I liked the player and his past successes. But it reminded me to much of the Smiley experience. Sadly, we got more out of Smiley then we were able to with Sitton.

And the level of play he brought to the left side was noticeable...

Back
Top Bottom