Six Reason Why Dolphins Can Overachieve | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Six Reason Why Dolphins Can Overachieve

We all live in hope (although there are always some who live to complain).

I've been complaining for years! I watched Sparano's team wreak havoc on defense, just to see the offense struggle to score TDs due to a lack of offensive talent at the skill positions. Anyone could see that a new GM who could recognize and draft offensive talent was needed. Instead, Ross keeps Ireland and hires Philbin. As soon as Philbin described his offensive philosophy (an explosive, dynamic, high-scoring offense based on short timing routes with the receivers gaining yards after the catch, and those short passes will mostly replace the running game) I knew it was a bad idea, and defenses shut it down by playing up near the line of scrimmage. With little to no threat of a vertical passing game, defenses close to the line were in position to both stop the occasional run and to limit the receivers' yards after the catch. Philbin hated the running game so much that Miami was probably the only team in history to have eight plays inside the opponent's 10 yard line and not run the ball once. They ran eight straight passing plays and still failed to score, turning the ball over on downs. Unfortunately, Ross replaced Philbin with Gase, another one who prefers the short pass in place of the run. Gase's favorite playcall on 3rd or 4th and short was a pass behind the line of scrimmage for a loss.

So yes, I've been complaining for over 7 years, and feel that my complaints were justified by the ineptness of the team under Philbin and Gase. I even complained when they won, because winning would only make Ross think that he should keep those clueless clowns. Now however, I'm pleasantly surprised that the new regime wants a tough, physical o-line and running game, has 2 QBs who will throw the ball downfield, and wants a defense that will attack an opponent's weaknesses. For the first time in years, I'm optimistic!

Gase got off to such a good start with Miami, but the team regressed in virtually every offensive and defensive category over the next two years.

Getting away from the running game might have been his biggest failure. I also agree that he needed to put his stamp on the defense. Seemed disinterested in that side of the ball.

It will be interesting to see how Gase does with a second chance in New York. His talent is in developing quarterbacks. Not sure there's much more to him.
I have heard that line, but reality tells a different story. The only two QBs he ever found success with were Manning, and to a very minor degree, Cutler in Chicago. He developed neither of those guys.

If you look at his resume, and the positions he actually held, and for how long, he was woefully unqualified to be a HC.

No such thing as overachieve. If a player/team/person achieves something then it means they could achieve it. That word's been used for years and years but it makes no sense at all. When anyone gets to accomplish something then that means they could do it or else, they wouldn't have been able to it. Yes a team can surpass the expectations that other people have of them but that doesn't mean they're overachievers. It only means other people underestimated them.

There's no way ego Gase would have hired someone "clearly" more qualified than he was. The types of hires like Caldwell truly allows Flores to be a pure HC that delegates responsibilities to his coaches (OC, DC, ST etc) and unlike Gase watch those units carefully and step in when he needs too.
Agree. I really like the direction the team is going.
I have heard that line, but reality tells a different story. The only two QBs he ever found success with were Manning, and to a very minor degree, Cutler in Chicago. He developed neither of those guys.

If you look at his resume, and the positions he actually held, and for how long, he was woefully unqualified to be a HC.
Certainly helped his cause having Peyton Manning. But in Gase's defense, Manning probably had his best year under Gase. Same with Cutler, although his best wasn't necessarily a huge rise in his play level.

You may be right. I have wondered if Gase was qualified to be a HC. That he got a job as a HC so quickly was a surprise to me. I expected him to eventually get a second chance, but a few years down the line.

1. Better Coaching
This is obviously a projection, but the New England model has proven to be successful over the last 20 years.

The New England model has yet to be successful outside of New England. And there are multiple examples.

4. Defensive Scheme

While I sure as hell didnt like the scheme, fact is the Fins got rid of any relevant pass rushers on the team without even a hint of trying to replace them. I dont think people understand how critical that is to a defense, especially considering the simultanious lack of effort to improve the secondary. Even with good coaching, I dont see how this defense finishes in the top 2/3rds of the league...

5. Player Development

Charles Harris is another who could benefit from a scheme change. I always thought he was a better fit in a 3-4, an alignment Miami will employ at times

Why do you think Harris is better as a OLB? He's already a mediocre athlete as a DE, maybe Im missing something.

6. Beating the Injury Bug

Fins pretty much have to beat the injury bug at every position on the team to avoid starting street level players.

I appreciate your well thought out post and Im not trying to piss on your parade. There are alot of reasons to be positive about the direction the Fins are taking, but in my sincere opinion, none of them come to fructuition in 2019. Doesnt mean the games wont be interesting but I firmly believe you're setting yourself up for disapointment if you're looking for more than 4-5 wins...

Last edited:
Lol, I've been staying quiet on this front. But i KNOW the team is going to surprise and be a lot better than people expect....

Me too! Unless the wheels fall off injury wise forget the #1 overall pick. It's not going to happen.

Legit the only way I can see Miami exceeding expectations is if Rosen lives up to all that talent. I could see us playing better if the coaching staff ends up being as good as I think they are, but truly the difference would be Rosen

The New England model has yet to be successful outside of New England. And there are multiple examples.

While I sure as hell didnt like the scheme, fact is the Fins got rid of any relevant pass rushers on the team without even a hint of trying to replace them. I dont think people understand how critical that is to a defense, especially considering the simultanious lack of effort to improve the secondary. Even with good coaching, I dont see how this defense finishes in the top 2/3rds of the league...

Why do you think Harris is better as a OLB? He's already a mediocre athlete as a DE, maybe Im missing something.

Fins pretty much have to beat the injury bug at every position on the team to avoid starting street level players.

I appreciate your well thought out post and Im not trying to piss on your parade. There are alot of reasons to be positive about the direction the Fins are taking, but in my sincere opinion, none of them come to fructuition in 2019. Doesnt mean the games wont be interesting but I firmly believe you're setting yourself up for disapointment if you're looking for more than 4-5 wins...
I don't take any offense. There are more reasons to think the Dolphins will be in the 4-5 win range, than a .500 team or better. The pass rush does concern me, but it's also interesting to note that New England only had 30 sacks last year (Miami had 31). Not saying, I'm okay with the talent Miami has there currently. In my opinion, that's where the Dolphins first rounder will be next year (pass rusher) unless Rosen falls short of expectations.

To me, Rosen is probably the key. He has talent and is smart. If he can take his game to that next level and assimilate quickly in Miami's offense, that may be enough to get Miami close to .500.

Most experts have Miami as the favorites to end up with the number one overall pick in the 2020 draft. That's possible. There are holes on the roster. But, honestly a lot would have to go wrong to be that kind of bad. I think there are reasons to be optimistic. Here are six.

1. Better Coaching
This is obviously a projection, but the New England model has proven to be successful over the last 20 years. Flores has talked about being adaptable, fluid, multiple and the ability to match up to opponents from week-to-week. That process has begun here in Miami. I think we'll see immediate improvement in coaching on the defensive side of the ball and on the offensive line.

2. A Commitment to the Running Game
One of my biggest gripes with Adam Gase was how quickly he got away from the running game. After his first year in Miami, I thought running the ball was going to be the teams' identity under his watch but that never materialized. Look at the draft and the type of players Miami has brought in (Deiter, Cox) and you just know Flores wants to establish a running game.

3. Josh Rosen
This is the big X factor. I really believe Rosen is a perfect fit in a NE-type offense that relies on quick decisions and getting the ball out to the teams' playmakers. In a sense, this could hide what looks like a weakness on the right side of the offensive line. If Rosen takes off in this system, Miami's rebuild takes off as well.

4. Defensive Scheme
How frustrating was it to watch teams carve up Miami's defense and absolutely dominate in the running game? I think the Wide 9 helped create huge running lanes for teams and Matt Burke, although he had a few moments, was in over his head. Graham comes from the New England system and, while the Dolphins still need talent on defense, a better scheme will go a long way.

5. Player Development
One thing clearly working in Miami's favor is having a lot of young players who could emerge. There are a few that I think have a really good shot with the new coaching staff. One is Mike Gesicki at tight end. The tight end position is so critical in New England's offense and you know someone with his talent will be given every opportunity. Charles Harris is another who could benefit from a scheme change. I always thought he was a better fit in a 3-4, an alignment Miami will employ at times. Tank Carradine gets another chance. Under-the-radar free agent Eric Rowe is another who has a shot opposite X. Howard. In a rebuilding year, we could also see several college free agents gets more of a shot than usual. Jonathan Ledbetter is one to watch at DE. Shaq Calhoun at guard has a chance as do a few others.

6. Beating the Injury Bug
A wildcard in any teams' success is injuries. If Miami can be better than NFL average in terms of injuries, that could add up to a few more wins.

Um, I will totally disagree with number1. No NE coach left NE and was successful. Not saying it can’t happen with this coaching stuff but I’m not holding my breathe until I see it actually happen.

Which team do you think we'll have the top pick in 2020 if not the Dolphins?
I think Arizona has a good chance. I like Murray, but that offensive line could land him on the IR. The NYG have a good shot as well.

I think Arizona has a good chance. I like Murray, but that offensive line could land him on the IR. The NYG have a good shot as well.
It seems like every year a team nobody expected to do well makes the playoffs......but every year it seems a team nobody expect it to be bad ends up having a horrible year.......it happens every year for whatever reason.

And I'm sure you could find six-hundred reasons why Miami will barely win 4 games lol
Thats actually the first thing that popped into my head when I read the thread title... Though I was more thinking in the 60 reasons range... But 600 is definitely doable... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom