Size draft will improve | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Size draft will improve

Mr.Murder

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Norv Turner prefers zone blocking, where you hit the guy across from your instead of pulling the guard, all the size you added in draft will be put to use. Zone blocking dosent lead block a pulling guard much, usually relies of FB or slot te to lead block. Zone blocking is simpler, straightforward, and usually allows bigger player (tackles) to play guard, the Dallas superbowl teams, minus their center , was basically four tackles on the field.

Wanny and Norv still use the sledgehammer approach for the most part, except they added the west coast slide screen and fb or te control passes as a form of long handoff as well.

One feature their line uses is having people seal the corner or
edge block, and the center usually does the same thing at the one or two hole...which give the rb two to three options every play, if he sees the hole primary he hits it, if the hole has a mlb or weakside help he hits the cneter cutback block, if the line slants down or pinches the strongside hole he cuts outside.
The key to which hole is the primary is the lead block- fb or te. The same way passes have a primary route, runs have a primary route, when all goes as planned the primary lane opens for gain, when the d overcompensates to fill lane the cutback or long side lead on strong run opens up instead.

Changing the lead blocker or using the fb as a switch man to move the zone blocker down the line to the next defender as a counter action are big part of this system as well.In zone blocking the Linemen usually act the same way a cover dt or end would, move down the line, hit anything that comes through until the end is reached.
The best way to stop this is moving everyone up, to fill gaps and allow no spaces open , since keying one block usually fails since there are options to run for the back. Keying an edge or lead block will open up the cutback hole, or keying the hole or down lead block frees the edge or end for kickout ,which your back can get to easily with his speed.
When teams have to move everyone up a step to meet the line as a wall, it opens up chance for big run if he gets past first level, only way to compensate is cheat the ss up and having everyone that close to the line opens play pass up,especially to the te if they keep the other safety deep to help the speed wr.
Watch the next game closer, note when and where the lead block keys the hole, subtle nuances in the runblocking technique can make for big plays in a simple straightforwad scheme. When Norv was at his best his team was able to do maximize their run effectiveness with team principles.
The size added to Dolphins front line will make an impact.:cool:

Excellent post man.

One thing though, isn't Wade Smith supposed to be a lot faster than he is strong?

This football lesson brought to you by a grant from The Cheat, with support from Viewers Like You.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Excellent post man.

One thing though, isn't Wade Smith supposed to be a lot faster than he is strong?

I think I read he did 23 reps on the bench which is'nt great but not too bad. He'll fill out.

i don´t know if iam wrong on this but ricky used to have success on that misdirection handoff, it was always good for 5 or more

Originally posted by Den54

I think I read he did 23 reps on the bench which is'nt great but not too bad. He'll fill out.

keep in mind.....he was a TE two years ago. he has been growing in his mind and his body!:tongue:

Goes back to what I said previously, using tackles as your goaline te, they have that background, more teams will use the jumbo package that Oakland and Tampa used.

Back
Top Bottom