Sizing Up First-round Options At Two Dolphins Need Positions: Defensive End And Tackle | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sizing Up First-round Options At Two Dolphins Need Positions: Defensive End And Tackle

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
NFL draft prospects will rise and fall during the next three months but this much is already clear, and it’s good news for the Dolphins: This draft has a bunch of defensive linemen who are projected, at least initially, to go between 10 and 25.

The Dolphins, picking 13, badly need more quality ends and tackles after a season in which Miami finished 31st against the run and 29th in sacks with just 31. Defensive line will be a Dolphins priority in the draft and throughout the offseason.

With Ohio State end Nick Bosa and Alabama tackle Quinnen Williams considered likely top-four picks, here’s a look at the defensive linemen projected to go anywhere from five to the second round, with the Dolphins expected to look closely at all of them (and we include some expected to be picked after Miami’s selection in case the Dolphins trade down for more picks):

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article224680715.html

Oliver is the only one I'd want at 13, but Simmons wouldn't bother me - some similarities to former Mississippi St. DT, Chris Jones, who had an outstanding season for KC.

Oliver is the only one I'd want at 13, but Simmons wouldn't bother me - some similarities to former Mississippi St. DT, Chris Jones, who had an outstanding season for KC.
A nice combination would be Oliver in the 1st and Lawrence in the 2nd. Not sure Lawrence gets out of the first, though. Ferguson is another potential 2nd round target that I would like.

The Mississippi State guys look like men. Solid strong men. Such a contrast to how some of the Dolphins and Canes linemen have looked in recent years.

Iowa won that bowl game via superior quarterbacking but I wouldn't like their chances over a series of games. Iowa had negative yards rushing and only 11 first downs.

The Senior Bowl offensive linemen feature some truly laughable frames. Such variance at that position coming out of college. Many kids simply aren't ready physically. Lesser athletes as a rule. That's why you really have to be careful in investing too much at that position. Don't force a pick unless every box is checked. Otherwise it is preferable to find a smart dedicated kid in a later round, as long as he doesn't have unfixable issues in areas like balance or strength.

These Senior Bowl defensive linemen can look better than they are, when doing one-on-one drills against klutz offensive linemen with poor technique and less than ideal frames.

Is Oliver big enough to play DT. Isn't he listed at sub 290lb.

Aren't there serious off field concerns with Simmons though?

Aren't there serious off field concerns with Simmons though?

Yes, there is a video of him striking a girl when he was in high school. The girl was fighting his sister. No excuse, just adding context.

I will say that there is nothing else, before or after.

Yes, there is a video of him striking a girl when he was in high school. The girl was fighting his sister. No excuse, just adding context.

I will say that there is nothing else, before or after.

Bad look but much more understandable than, say, Joe Mixon punching a girl for not wanting to sleep with him.

Unless someone falls I think the choice is going to be between Montez Sweat & Christian Wilkins & I'm not sure at this point which one I'd rather have.

Back
Top Bottom